What's new

MDing Old Cemetaries

Well I allowed myself to get distracted. Any grave that has items placed, such as that gold ring after burial is still part of that burial.

One case of private property and graves (older as in native American)

http://www.finance-commerce.com/art...rial-mounds-in-Mound-lead-to-coverage-dispute

On the modern graves, it will still come under the desecration laws that exist at the state level. Not sure yet on items left at graves being part of the grave in the modern versions. Yet ethics say such is.

Yet if any Native American was buried in a grave yard, That federal law may be applied.



As for the historic places, I am having to find cases that do not involve graves. May not find one. But will continue to look.

Yet if such property has copper cultural artifacts associated with burial, it again becomes federally protected sites. The items do not have to be buried with the grave at the time of burial, it could be from a ceremony later done for the grave, or graves.

Will continue to look.
 
"Most all designations for the Historic Register are for structures"

Such would not be a problem if that is all of the property designated.
Basic rules of Md'ing would work. Just stay clear of the structure or structures. In other words Know what is designated, the structure or the property.

Nice mess all of this stuff is. Easier to find non historical registered private property. LOL
 
There is an old cemetary about 5 miles from me. I would not detect between the grave markers. There is a new athletic park near it. In between there are tall trees, which I think of as the crying grove where people would go during a funeral that didn't want others to see them crying.

Would it be acceptable to hunt this area? HH, George (MN)
 
George (MN) said:
There is an old cemetary about 5 miles from me. I would not detect between the grave markers. There is a new athletic park near it. In between there are tall trees, which I think of as the crying grove where people would go during a funeral that didn't want others to see them crying.

Would it be acceptable to hunt this area? HH, George (MN)

There are plenty of other, better sites to find and hunt. The sooner you, and everyone else who is stressing out about hunting cemeteries realizes this, the sooner you all will be finding the Really Good Stuff.
 
Who owns the property? Do you have permission?

George (MN) said:
There is an old cemetary about 5 miles from me. I would not detect between the grave markers. There is a new athletic park near it. In between there are tall trees, which I think of as the crying grove where people would go during a funeral that didn't want others to see them crying.

Would it be acceptable to hunt this area? HH, George (MN)
 
George (MN) said:
There is an old cemetary about 5 miles from me. I would not detect between the grave markers. There is a new athletic park near it. In between there are tall trees, which I think of as the crying grove where people would go during a funeral that didn't want others to see them crying.

Would it be acceptable to hunt this area? HH, George (MN)

I would hunt the crying grove, but not the cem.
 
This is very easy!!!
Do not search in a cemetery.
Example: Your mom put her moms favorite silver ring just under the surface and off to the side of her grave so, her mom would always have her ring. You see some guy with a detector bending down with a hole in the ground and "the ring" in his hand. How, would you feel?
Lots of people bury all sorts of items with loved ones so they will always have it. Leave them alone. !!!!!!!!!!
There are lots of other places to find coins.
Dan
 
bluefin1959 said:
This is very easy!!!
Do not search in a cemetery.
Example: Your mom put her moms favorite silver ring just under the surface and off to the side of her grave so, her mom would always have her ring. You see some guy with a detector bending down with a hole in the ground and "the ring" in his hand. How, would you feel?
Lots of people bury all sorts of items with loved ones so they will always have it. Leave them alone. !!!!!!!!!!
There are lots of other places to find coins.
Dan
Just pretty well put . Crying grove and where the horses were tied would be ok with me .
 
Lost Causes, concerning your comment on KY, you are caught up in an error perpetrated by some archies there. This was discussed way back on the T'net "Legal Issues" forum. Scroll back on that forum, to June of last year, for a thread titled "ALERT!!! Kentucky Bill Resurfaced!!!"

Basically, the state rules, even if they could be made to subrogate down to county and city levels, ONLY apply to sites deemed "archaeologically significant". They have to be denoted as such. Not just any Joe-blow school yard or park or all public land or whatever. If you walk through the laws and wording slowly, you will see this.
 
What about detecting old cemetaries that are now city parks??

I was detecting Beltrami Park in Minneapolis, which used to be Maple Hill Cemetary. It is thought maybe only a couple dozen were buried there, and maybe some could still be there?? I believe I read many were buried without a marker for their grave. That was at the time of the Civil War.

When I was detecting there, a woman came up to me & said she heard a story of someone finding a ring, with the finger (bone) still in it! I have to wonder how deep they would have been buried & how much top soil would have accumulated since then? This was in the '70s & our detectors went down to an average of about 3 inches. I think I found a Buffalo nickel. HH, George (MN)
 
Dimeman said:
Cemetarys are plots of privately owned land FOR the family of the deceased.

Most people consider cemetaries sacred ground, and would most likely, call in on someone detecting within the cemetary grounds.
Personally I would not detect inside or even detect outside the cemetary, just out of respect for the dead and visiters who go to their loved ones graves.
you got it right man sacred ground. Plenty of places to hunt that arent cemetarys.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom