What's new

MDing Old Cemetaries

Cherokee

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2009
Messages
34
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Rochester, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Edge II
Ok, I'm sure this has been asked at some point but I'm going to throw it out there once again. In Rochester, NY, we have one of the oldest cemetaries in the region (Mt. Hope Cemetary). The tombstones are dated back to the early 1700's, maybe older. Anyway, I was getting the urge to MD the grounds surrounding this old site (not on the grave sites themselves). Thoughts? :dontknow:
 
uh oh, not again :tongue3:

The average md'r knows that they are only looking for fumble-fingers coin-losses at shallow depths (6", etc..), and that a coffin is a friggin 6 ft. deep! There is no way you can interfere with graves, burials, coffins, etc.... So you might ask yourself "then what's the problem?" The problem comes in "perception" by the non-detecting public, who doesn't know what we know about our goals, detector depths, etc...

So all I can say is, since you, as an md'r, know you're looking for surface pedestrian losses, just don't let others see you. Go at night or whatever, and what others don't know, can't hurt them ;D
 
Hmm there may exist laws against such. Is it listed on the national historical sites?
If so it is not lawful to do so.
 
Tom_in_CA said:
uh oh, not again :tongue3:

The average md'r knows that they are only looking for fumble-fingers coin-losses at shallow depths (6", etc..), and that a coffin is a friggin 6 ft. deep! There is no way you can interfere with graves, burials, coffins, etc.... So you might ask yourself "then what's the problem?" The problem comes in "perception" by the non-detecting public, who doesn't know what we know about our goals, detector depths, etc...

So all I can say is, since you, as an md'r, know you're looking for surface pedestrian losses, just don't let others see you. Go at night or whatever, and what others don't know, can't hurt them ;D

And use headphones. There's no need in giving the neighbors a heart attack. ;D
 
Perception is the key word there, Tsa-la-gi. You're just looking for things that the mourners lost, but we can imagine how people would take it. I have detected our family cemetary and I stay in our little section of it. Nobody worries about it because they know it took us 60 years to get that one uncle in the ground and there is no way I would dig him up. Best of luck.
 
Sorry, you couldn't PAY me enough to detect in a cemetary at nite!

ffd
 
Please keep in mind that people leave items, including coins on graves and tombstones for those that have passed. So, saying you are only looking for what mourners have lost only works if you stay away from the plots themselves.

My two wheaties!

Too many places to detect. I'm not mding in a cemetary.

Mark
 
Cherokee said:
Ok, I'm sure this has been asked at some point but I'm going to throw it out there once again. In Rochester, NY, we have one of the oldest cemetaries in the region (Mt. Hope Cemetary). The tombstones are dated back to the early 1700's, maybe older. Anyway, I was getting the urge to MD the grounds surrounding this old site (not on the grave sites themselves). Thoughts? :dontknow:

Cherokee,

With name Cherokee and the photographed image, I assume, for conversation purposes, that you are part or full-blooded Native-American...

How would you respond if I had the urge to dig around a Sacred Burial Ground or maybe into a Burial Mound from the ancients?

It really doesn't matter what our respective backgrounds are, or our religious following, our morals and ethics discourage desecration of areas in or near burial grounds or graveyards.

It comes down to courtesy and respect...

My thoughts...

SAS
 
There is an old cemetary where my great grandparents are buried. I have hunted outside of the fence and in a vacant area near by. Some times they have family get togethers on memorial day in the vacant area. Never found much but never tempted to go inside either. Monty
 
Re: MDing Old Cemeteries

It is not in our best interests to be seen detecting in a cemetery. People would think of us as grave robbers.
 
Stefen, yes, I am part Cherokee Nation. No, I do not intend on MDing a grave site. I was referring to the outskirts of a cemetary. People walk around these old cemetaries all the time to look at the old headstones. It is actually a heavy travelled area with dog walkers, joggers, and bicyclists. Let's keep this discussion in perspective, shall we?
 
Hi Cherrokee

I read your post properly and cant see anything wrong with mding the outside strips of the cemetary but i would try to find ou tthe caretakers name and see if you could get permission. Keep in mind that if the cemetary is that old there is a possibility of unmarked graves so i would maybe try and find out thru the archives a little more about the site before ploughing it up.

Is the land u want to md actually in the cemetary or on the verge outside it?

My 2 cents

Sasnz
 
Wait until a weekend maybe a sunday when a lot of folks come to visit. Have your MD in hand. When they ask if you are MDing the cemetery, just respond by saying you are trying to collect loose change for upkeep of the park. Explain how a resting place should be better kept. Tell them that for just a few dollars the place could be really spruced up. Then continue to MD and..pocket the donations!

8)
 
stay away why give the hobby a bad name...
 
Montana Jim said:
A short list of previous posts... Thanks Sherm - we miss you.

What happend to Sherm? I was off the forum for a couple months.
 
Cherokee said:
Ok, I'm sure this has been asked at some point but I'm going to throw it out there once again. In Rochester, NY, we have one of the oldest cemetaries in the region (Mt. Hope Cemetary). The tombstones are dated back to the early 1700's, maybe older. Anyway, I was getting the urge to MD the grounds surrounding this old site (not on the grave sites themselves). Thoughts? :dontknow:

I don't think it's a good idea, it's historical. All we need is for someone to ruin it, I also don't think you'd get an okay from them and to go without permission is just wrong. I've visited Mount Hope many times and used to park there when we went to the Lilac festival, now it's just to far to walk.
~Audiz~
 
"Ok, I'm sure this has been asked at some point but I'm going to throw it out there once again. In Rochester, NY, we have one of the oldest cemetaries in the region (Mt. Hope Cemetary). The tombstones are dated back to the early 1700's, maybe older. Anyway, I was getting the urge to MD the grounds surrounding this old site (not on the grave sites themselves). Thoughts?"


http://www.fomh.org/

http://www.mounthopecemetery.com/

myapa.planning.org/cpf/pdf/Rochester.pdf
"This 196-acre facility lies within a preservation district and is surrounded on two sides by property owned by the University of Rochester."

"In the 1970s, about two-thirds of Mount Hope Cemetery was added to the National Register of Historic Places because of its impressive and rare Victorian architecture and the list of notables buried here."

To put this clearly it is a dam good way to find yourself in jail.
 
Lotsa good comments here but if I didn't miss it aren't cemetary plots usually bought and paid for by the persons or family that will be occupying them. I sometimes see plots in so and so cemetary for sale now. I assume that it includes some type of legal deed. Trespassing may get you in legal trouble, however, you said detecting away from the actual plots so maybe those areas would be more getting permission from the caretaker. There has to be better places around though as I've heard that Paupers and suicides were buried outside the fences in the old days and they wouldn't have had many mourners with money.
 
lostcauses said:
"Ok, I'm sure this has been asked at some point but I'm going to throw it out there once again. In Rochester, NY, we have one of the oldest cemetaries in the region (Mt. Hope Cemetary). The tombstones are dated back to the early 1700's, maybe older. Anyway, I was getting the urge to MD the grounds surrounding this old site (not on the grave sites themselves). Thoughts?"


http://www.fomh.org/

http://www.mounthopecemetery.com/

myapa.planning.org/cpf/pdf/Rochester.pdf
"This 196-acre facility lies within a preservation district and is surrounded on two sides by property owned by the University of Rochester."

"In the 1970s, about two-thirds of Mount Hope Cemetery was added to the National Register of Historic Places because of its impressive and rare Victorian architecture and the list of notables buried here."

To put this clearly it is a dam good way to find yourself in jail.

Why on Earth do you keep bringing up the National Register of Historic Places? Just because a place is on the register means Nothing. You CAN hunt places on the National Register with permission! There have been several articles which have delved into this topic if you really need to see something in print rather than me just telling you repeatedly that it is OK to do so. I have done so with private properties on the Register before, and will continue to do so again. In the meantime, please stop spreading misinformation.



Now, in terms of cemeteries... I wouldn't do that. Negative public perception, possibility that there is a law on the books against it, and just plain respect--and I am SHOCKED that Tom in CA is advocating hunting cemeteries at night!There are many, MANY fine places to MD in the state of NY. I'm sure you can find a place where you will do much better than modern pocket change.


-Buck
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom