What's new

Medical Emblem♠

Joined
Oct 19, 2007
Messages
656
Reaction score
13
Golden Thread
0
Location
born in 3 sisters, tx. now living west of tilden
Detector(s) used
X-Terra70, X-Terra 50, Ace250, Ace150, GTI 1500,GTA 1000 Ultra, Tejon, Vaquero
Hi i need info. about the following emblem that i found
on 5-12-2010, i am thinking it is from one of these 2
era's WWl or WWll.

Diameter 3 1/2" wide
Thickness 1/8"

And a piece of a bolt had been welded on w/ oxygen
acetylene welding torch on the backside.


Dave
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0097.webp
    IMG_0097.webp
    45.8 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_0097.webp
    IMG_0097.webp
    45.8 KB · Views: 487
The symbol is of a CADUCEUS.
What it is, its history and how it (erroneously) became, and remains, a symbol in the field of medicine is explained here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caduceus
When used as a car badge, it could signify the owner is a doctor or, at least, in the medical profession.
Don.....
 
Upvote 0
The general symbol for health.
"MD" Medical Doctor,as in "Marcus Welby MD" (remember that show? damn i'm old lol).
 
Upvote 0
Many doctors put them on their cars so they won't get a ticket if they have to park in a restricted zone while on an emergency. Others use them to drive over the speed limit to answer an emergency call. But I have found that they are more often than not abused and there is no emergency. I have seen one driving 70 in a 35 zone because he was actually late for work. He got a ticket. Monty
 
Upvote 0
X-Terra70_TreasureHunter said:
Guys this emblem was found in a poor part of town
that once had a concentration camp located in the
area....its a Barrio find.

Dave
Most barrios were once nice neighborhoods. I think the ID is correct, but a pic of the back may help seal the deal. It may very well be from WWI or II era.
 
Upvote 0
Notice the difference:
Iron Spikes pic is that of the Rod of Asclepius (single snake) while the initial inquiry showed a double helix (two snake) badge featuring a Caduceus (the symbol of Hermes); easy to get the two mixed up--as was done in history--to this day.
An interesting discussion on these differences can be found here:
http://humanism.med.ufl.edu/projectsymbol.shtml
Don.........
 
Upvote 0
Mackaydon said:
Notice the difference:
Iron Spikes pic is that of the Rod of Asclepius (single snake) while the initial inquiry showed a double helix (two snake) badge featuring a Caduceus (the symbol of Hermes); easy to get the two mixed up--as was done in history--to this day.
Don.........

Interesting Don. Both symbols used in the medical field.

Here's a 1949 car badge that appear to match that of X-Terra70_TreasureHunter's:

http://www.life.com/image/50646359
 

Attachments

  • 50646359.webp
    50646359.webp
    24.2 KB · Views: 370
Upvote 0
I think its a green check, IronSpike. :icon_thumright: I guess it was welded on.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
I think its a green check, IronSpike. :icon_thumright: I guess it was welded on.

I think the badge was on the grille. Trick photography :D
 
Upvote 0
Guys there are no markings on the back side, only
what looks like a piece of a Bolt in the center of
the Disc w/ a couple of threads showing.

Bolt diameter looks to be about 3/8 or 1/2"
w/ threads all the way to the head of the bolt.

Dave
 
Upvote 0
X-Terra70_TreasureHunter said:
Guys there are no markings on the back side, only
what looks like a piece of a Bolt in the center of
the Disc w/ a couple of threads showing.

Bolt diameter looks to be about 3/8 or 1/2"
w/ threads all the way to the head of the bolt.

Dave
We not only look for markings when we request pictures of the back. We look for clues to its purpose. But if you are satisfied, its cool, post the green check and we will move on. Thanks.
 
Upvote 0
Mackaydon said:
Dano, you're young.
I remember Dr. Kildare ('61-'66) versus M. Welby ('69-'76).
Best, Don........

LOL, I only remember Dr Smith..............................."Danger Will Robinson, danger!"

Cool find Dave :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Mackaydon said:
Dano, you're young.
I remember Dr. Kildare ('61-'66) versus M. Welby ('69-'76).
Best, Don........

Lol Don,I remember Ricky Chamberlain in "Dr Kildare",but yeah,being born in '61 i doubt i watched it first time around.Don't think Ben Casey made it to our shores.The worst was "General Hospital",Aussie show...A.W.F.U.L.!! lol sorry Oz.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom