Meg day

mxdigger

Jun 30, 2013
Richmond VA
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC 2B, Minelab Musketeer Xs pro, AT Pro, Garrett pro pointer, Xp Deus with pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been hunting this spot for years but never found a Meg tooth this big before. I've found smaller teeth of several kinds but my heart stopped when I picked this one up. Also got another pretty good load of whale bone parts and other assorted fossil rocks. One of these days I'm gonna find out what these bone pieces went to but for now I'm too busy crawling around in this cold creek bed.

Attachments

• meg teeth with bone pieces.jpg
    meg teeth with bone pieces.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 131
  • front view of big meg tooth.jpg
    front view of big meg tooth.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 102
  • big meg tooth.jpg
    big meg tooth.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 115
  • big tooth.jpg
    big tooth.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 108

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy moly thats freaking cool thats a Big tooth amazing find Id be crawling around in the cold water too if that kind of finds were there. Keep those finds comin

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a nice size Meg! Good find. Hey, have you tried screening the gravel in that creek? You'll find a bunch you'd never see just walking the creek. My theory on the whale, and dugong bone fragments, is that they have passed through the gut of a Meg, after getting chomped.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice meg! Random bits of broken bone are very hard to ID to an animal. You typically need a mostly complete bone or one at with an end to match it to a species.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a nice Meg tooth! It looks to have a tiny speck of feeding damage on one side - probably how the tooth was dislodged. I like it when we find the whale bones with cuts on them from feeding sharks, so its always worth looking closely at those marine mammal bones too.

djackson7348

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
North Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I have picked some (much smaller) in Aurora, NC but yours, all I can say is WOW.

scilover

May 31, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That’s an amazing find, the size of the teeth is huge! And the quality of it is still in good condition. It’s crazy to think such big creatures used to live in the ocean back then.

OP
OP
M

mxdigger

Jun 30, 2013
Richmond VA
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC 2B, Minelab Musketeer Xs pro, AT Pro, Garrett pro pointer, Xp Deus with pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! That’s an amazing find, the size of the teeth is huge! And the quality of it is still in good condition. It’s crazy to think such big creatures used to live in the ocean back then.
I hate to bring back to life this old thread, but I just had to make a comment on what you said about the " big creatures". What's really crazy about these fossils is that the closest ocean to this is now 80 miles away and on top of that this place is more than 5 miles from any river or large body of water. This whole area has been a shallow sea several times during the history of the east coast and is something some people have a hard time believing. And you are right, it is really crazy realize just how small we really are in the grand scheme of things regarding this earth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread