Mental Unrest -- Dime Roll Find -- 1865 3 Cent Nickel -- Pictures

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
My first post since October - Lot's of new members here since I last was last on the site! Welcome! I am still searching a heavy load as I always have when I was posting every few days - About 9-12K each week. All dimes. I gave the halves another run back in December and had a few here and there but nothing to justify continuing with them. The dimes were steady producers so I went back full time to them. To newer members, I went through 99 straight skunks last summer and posted about it if you care to look up old posts....gives you an idea of how the halves produce in my area. That said, I have NO SYMPATHY for people who post about their terrible run of 10, 20 or 30+ skunks. When you get over 100 straight, you will hold a place in my heart.

This find was too good to pass up, so I thought I would share a couple pictures -- When I found it, I initially thought it was a foreign coin as I had no idea what it was. Then I saw the United States of America and was blown away! I had a vague memory of seeing the reverse in my redbook, but had to look it up to know what I had. I think it is in great shape and the "Liberty" is still present. This was the first year of this coin and was not a rare coin, but in this condition, it should be worth about $15-25. No plans to sell it though...My most amazing find, by far, since I picked up the hobby.

Best to you all --
MU

Attachments

• 3 aa.jpg
    3 aa.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 1,842
  • 3bb.jpg
    3bb.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 1,575
Upvote 0

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
OMG! First time i've seen one of these posted, really freakin awesome find! Too bad its not the silver kind!

OP
OP
MentalUnrest

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
Yeah, it sure looked silver, but after looking it up it's copper clad. The 2 cent piece up to 1864 was silver - Interesting that the reason they switched over was exactly the same reason they did 100 years later. People were hoarding the silver coins back then as well, so they switched to copper....amazing when you look at the dates they made the switch.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to see another oldtime CRHer checking in. Awesome find there! Gotta ask, found in a customer or machine roll?

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Not the first here but definately rare. I found an 1872 on '07 or '08, it was in the reject tray of the coin counter- I thought mine was foreign too as thats whats usually in the reject. Traded mine for an ounce of silver at $10, cheapest oz I ever got. HH Mark

OP
OP
MentalUnrest

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
mountainman 2 said:
Good to see another oldtime CRHer checking in. Awesome find there! Gotta ask, found in a customer or machine roll?

My normal String & Sons boxes. I had really good boxes, 8-10 per box, and I had a 16 box pick up that night. All were Rosies, except for that one. It was a incredible silver week.

MU

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey MU, I had wondered what ever happened to you. I remembered you were one of the big dime searchers & had a great dime score sometime around Sept of last year. I see you're still at it.

Good to see you posting again & great find with the 3 cent nic. :icon_thumleft:

cuttybce

Feb 16, 2010
Western PA
WOW!! Very nice :hello2:

Just further evidence that you never know what it still out there.

Still waiting for someone to score a $20 double eagle from a CoinStar!!

HH,
cuttybce

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MU, amazing score! Glad to see you checking back in, that is definately a once in a lifetime find, and I would take that over any silver dime! :icon_sunny:
BuffaloBoy

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I'd nominate your find for banner, but i don't want to have other people read it and start searching too. We have enough competition, and I truly belive this is still a small group of people that do this compared to what it could be. Showing people a find this good would bring out a LOT of newcomers.

But great find!! :icon_thumleft:

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Silver Stripe said:
Not the first here but definately rare. I found an 1872 on '07 or '08, it was in the reject tray of the coin counter- I thought mine was foreign too as thats whats usually in the reject. Traded mine for an ounce of silver at $10, cheapest oz I ever got. HH Mark

I remember

Mojo

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Sorry Silver Stripe...I was around then too but I could not remember if one had been found. Either way it is not amongst the common finds.

Golden Silver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread