Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all. Got out for a short hunt this morning. Thought I'd give the 1960's park that has given me 3 Merc's in the last year another chance. I was looking for my first war nickel and dug every repeatable signal that was 6 inches and deeper. Still haven't found one! I did dig a lot of older beaver tails, lol. I still have that feeling it's there waiting for me though. Today just wasn't the day to give it up to me. I did dig a 1942 P quarter, a green old, no date Wheat, one meager clad dime and an interesting looking little car. Meager finds but the silver is enough to get me to go back later and claim my nickel!

arydy9ev.jpg

qe5y4y6e.jpg

e5y2adyt.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 14
Beaver Tails. Most of my deep digs at the old school house, have been beaver tails. For an 80 year old school, it has only produced one silver dime. I hope you find that war nickle. Those are always fun to find.

HH
MariposaGold

Nice little hunt you had there !!! That's probably a seven dollar quarter about now. ( Red book )

I can honestly say I was having a hard time with nickels with my old detector. I got a new detector and within three days I dug my first war nickel, a couple more days I had two buffalo nickels, within two weeks I had two more War nickels. I've tested the two detectors together on nickels and my old one is jumpy on nickels. I had to be passing them up due to jumpy signals and also my new detector just gave me a little bit more depth. But in the end it's like everything else, you can't find a merc to save your life then you find five in two days ... You been looking for a ring for a year with no luck then you find three in a day ....... this hobby just makes you shake your head...I find the oddest of things in the oddest of places.

Silver? Even a nice ride! Yeah, I'd be thinking about going back again, and again, and again. :)

Nice!

Nice find on the silver quarter. I found my first war nickel last week, a 1945. You know that it doesn't ring up like a nickel... mine had a TID just a little less than a new copper cent... probably around 75 on the ATP. The silver content jacks the TDI from 55 up to around 75. I look forward to seeing that a pic of that nickel, you should find it shortly! GL&HH.

Very nice find! I would word the heading different or you might get the EPA's panties in a bunch. They would have to close the park until an environmental study was preformed and remedial action was taken.

Nice little hunt you had there !!! That's probably a seven dollar quarter about now. ( Red book )

I can honestly say I was having a hard time with nickels with my old detector. I got a new detector and within three days I dug my first war nickel, a couple more days I had two buffalo nickels, within two weeks I had two more War nickels. I've tested the two detectors together on nickels and my old one is jumpy on nickels. I had to be passing them up due to jumpy signals and also my new detector just gave me a little bit more depth. But in the end it's like everything else, you can't find a merc to save your life then you find five in two days ... You been looking for a ring for a year with no luck then you find three in a day ....... this hobby just makes you shake your head...I find the oddest of things in the oddest of places.

I looked in the Red Book once I got home and discovered the same thing. I agree on the " making you shake your head" observation. I hunted my first corn field last year AFTER I received the AT Pro. I was amazed at the number of Large Cents I found. I always wondered if I would have found as many with my old detector. No way of knowing unfortunately.

Very nice find! I would word the heading different or you might get the EPA's panties in a bunch. They would have to close the park until an environmental study was preformed and remedial action was taken.

Point taken! I call this park that because the last time I was there, it gave me a Mercury Spill, lol. The very first time I hunted it, I talked to the groundskeeper and he said he used to see an old fellow detecting the park often but hadn't in some time. I see a fellow hitting golf balls and young mothers bringing their young ones there now. Since my last visit, they have set up some soccer goals so apparently it is still being used by the local high school for soccer practices for the girls team. For me, I have learned to trust my "feelings" about a site.

Silver? Even a nice ride! Yeah, I'd be thinking about going back again, and again, and again. :)

Nice!

I thought you'd appreciate the ride, lol. Made in China as everything seems to be today unfortunately.

Sweet digs! Quarters r always a good thing, especially when they're silver! I haven't dug silver since the last time we were out! And yes I'm going thru withdrawal

Niceeeeeeeeee!

nice silver,

Sweet digs! Quarters r always a good thing, especially when they're silver! I haven't dug silver since the last time we were out! And yes I'm going thru withdrawal

Maybe I should take you to this park since you said I was your good luck charm for war nickels, lol.:tongue3:

Lol last hunt broke the war nickel streak with u

What say we start another then.....with, oh, maybe Walkers?

What say we start another then.....with, oh, maybe Walkers?

I told you I hate walkers, morgans, and gold, im a zincoln guy myself!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back