Mercury

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Present: Minelab equinox 600
Past: Teknetics eurotek pro, Minelab xterra 705, At pro, Fisher f75 se, Explorer SE PRO, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would u save it /Sorry thats your business ;dont know who would want or buy it .As a side note I read somewhere recently ;that a school went into LOCKDOWN becaouse a kid brought in a Merc filled thermometer for a science project or something .Heck I think they even called out HAZMAT. Govt, schools! whats this country coming too? Good luck in your endeavor. Davers

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Why would u save it /Sorry thats your business ;dont know who would want or buy it .As a side note I read somewhere recently ;that a school went into LOCKDOWN becaouse a kid brought in a Merc filled thermometer for a science project or something .Heck I think they even called out HAZMAT. Govt, schools! whats this country coming too? Good luck in your endeavor. Davers

All public schools have Mercury cleanup kits. Federal law and yes, the used kit is picked up by hazmat and disposed of properly. Get the idea that mercury is dangerous?

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Present: Minelab equinox 600
Past: Teknetics eurotek pro, Minelab xterra 705, At pro, Fisher f75 se, Explorer SE PRO, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just not familiar with the concept. I meant no harm and haven't attempted to recycle it. I was asking for my dad lol he just has some old thermostats and read online that they pay a good bit of money per flask? I wanted to put this on here to open his eyes cause I've seen threads asking the same thing and wanted to prove to him what people would say lol no harm intended though

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
No, I wasn't attacking you. Sorry. I taught science for nearly 30 years and had to put up with all the federal crap. We played with mercury all the time (when I was young) and nobody died and even when new regs came out, our kids would buy necklaces from Mexico that were colored glass filled with mercury. I broke an old thermometer(about 2000) and was excited because I got to use our mercury "spill kit". It consisted of a sponge and a plastic bag. I carefully sponged up the mercury, put the sponge in the bag, but nobody knew who to call so I just tossed it. So much for the feds. There are people out there that do use mercury for stuff so you may be able to make some $$$. Again, sorry if I came across wrong. How much you figure all those useless kits cost. The sponge didn't get all the mercury up...

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ran across a web site today, (I think on ali babba . com), they will sell you all the mercury you want, vials and vials of the stuffs.
I used to porposely break open thermometors as a child so I could "collect" the stuff, oh lordy..... But then, I also would split my dads shot gun shells open with a razor, in order to collect gun powder too! Throw water on the electric bell to the electric fence......
I should probably stop typing now....... Good luck in your quests! :laughing7:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
break open thermometors as a child so I could "collect" the stuff,
When I was a young teen (13-14 ??) my neighbor was a friend. He was a married adult. A lot of times i would visit in his garage, he always liked to build things. One time he brought out a jar and asked me to hold it. It was real heavy. So I opened it to see what was inside. He held a bucket under it and asked if i wanted to hold some in my hand. That was fun trying to catch and hold that stuff. Good thing I didn't do that everyday. It was mercury in that jar.

His wife was nice too, but in a different way. She loved to sunbathe in their back yard, but then thats another story for a different forum. ;)

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Kids brought it to school in 60s. Home thermostat switches were a source too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread