What's new

Met the competition today...

placerman

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2005
Messages
286
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Went to make a dump at one of the branches of my dump bank and saw a man carrying 4 boxes of halves out to his truck.

I just sat there and watched him for a few minutes as he methodically made 7 more trips inside and each time brought four more boxes out to his truck.

After he drove off I walked in to drop off my single bag of halves and the teller took one look at me and started laughing.

Long story short this guy purchased 40 boxes of halves. He must have already made a few trips out to the truck when I first saw him.

The tellers say he has done this every week for the past 12 years at least.

A quick tally tells me this guy has probably gone through almost 12.5 million dollars in halves in 12 years. I dont even want to imagine how much silver he has found in that time.

Apparently this guy picks up and drops off at the same branch and has no problems.

He is old, retired and has too much money in that bank for them to want to argue with him apparently.
 
Upvote 0
Wow 40 boxes! He must have a whole lot in that bank for them to put up with it. Good on him though :)
 
What state are you in?


Hard to imagine any bank taking that many dump coins. He would have to be getting mostly his own rejects over and over again. I am surprised nobody at the bank ever mentioned this to you if you have been going there and dumping your CRHing rejects.

Jim
 
40 boxes? Hey, is that Mojo?
 
jim4silver said:
What state are you in?


Hard to imagine any bank taking that many dump coins. He would have to be getting mostly his own rejects over and over again. I am surprised nobody at the bank ever mentioned this to you if you have been going there and dumping your CRHing rejects.

Jim



This is the first time Ive ever dumped at this particular branch.
 
placerman said:
jim4silver said:
What state are you in?


Hard to imagine any bank taking that many dump coins. He would have to be getting mostly his own rejects over and over again. I am surprised nobody at the bank ever mentioned this to you if you have been going there and dumping your CRHing rejects.

Jim



This is the first time Ive ever dumped at this particular branch.

a bank of america? how did you know they take it by the bag?

that is crazy an old man lifting 4 boxes? i barely like doing 2... dang i am weak :(

that is super crazy... thanks for sharing, get pics next time
 
I'd love to do 40 boxes a week. Not in one sitting though :laughing7:.
HH
Rich
 
I had another Crher watch me carry 7 boxes at once and he was amazed. I told him its not much trouble unless they are the double stack boxes because at that point its impossible to see where i am going.

40 boxes a week though---wow.
 
Wow - that would take some persistence... :o twelve years of that is more than I could handle.

Maine_Jim
 
maine_Jim said:
Wow - that would take some persistence... :o twelve years of that is more than I could handle.

Maine_Jim

I cant stop thinking of how much silver that would be.
 
Wish I had thought of this 12 years ago, 3 years ago was good, imagine 12 years ago the solid silver boxes he found. HH Mark
 
Wow.. 40 boxes.. do they have enough room in their vault? He must pay them something for them to do the ordering for them. I find myself giving out wine bottles just for people to order me a couple boxes consistantly. My order bank always complains about not having enough room for a couple boxes. I am shocked. This must turn into a full time job for him. 40 boxes and say one hour per box a week is a full weeks worth of work. I wish I had a bank like that. Not only would they order me a ton of boxes but will take dumps back too. Placerman, do you feel like you get a high amount of skunks? I would be very angry at some guy like that if I met him.
 
40 boxes @ 25 lbs per box = 1000 lbs
1000 lbs per week- 52 weeks = 52000 lbs or 26 Tons
52000 lbs x 12 years = 624,000 lbs or 312 Tons

I would guess that if he cashed in his silver once in awhile that he could build up a nice balance in that bank.
 
Just for the fun of it...and assuming he never sold any silver. Today he would have a little pile.

40 boxes X 40 weeks per year= 1600 per year
1600 X 10 years = 16,000 boxes
16,000 X 5 silvers per box = 80,000 coins
60,000 40% + 20,000 90% =$187,499.30 + $152,852.69

Value of silver collected today at $21.13 per ounces $340,351.99

8873.6061 troy ounces of silver in 60000 silver 1965-1970 and
7233.918 troy ounces of silver in 20000 silver 1964 Kennedy half dollars

Maine_Jim
 
And I thought my 6 boxes a week was a "few" coins to look through :o :o :tongue3:
I'm sure he has "tons" of $$ in the bank and they do not want to have him pull it all out.

This makes my 42 keeps this week look like nothing lol
I would love to see his collection

hh gl all
 
Probably Old Red if anyone remembers him from years ago on this forum
 
I don't call that comptition...
I call that a syndicate!
 
maine_Jim said:
Just for the fun of it...and assuming he never sold any silver. Today he would have a little pile.

40 boxes X 40 weeks per year= 1600 per year
1600 X 10 years = 16,000 boxes
16,000 X 5 silvers per box = 80,000 coins
60,000 40% + 20,000 90% =$187,499.30 + $152,852.69

Value of silver collected today at $21.13 per ounces $340,351.99

8873.6061 troy ounces of silver in 60000 silver 1965-1970 and
7233.918 troy ounces of silver in 20000 silver 1964 Kennedy half dollars



Maine_Jim



and to quote SFBayarea "40 boxes and say one hour per box a week is a full weeks worth of work."
So he is "retired", but with a full time "job" CRH'ing. And at 40weeks/yr he gets 12 weeks vacation.

So my math is $340,351.99/10yrs = $34000 a yr CRHing. But he had to pay $40000 for the 80k keepers, so that drops his salary to $30000 a yr. This is all just averages and assumptions, but I would like to think he made more than that. This is also assuming he never sold any on its way from $4 to $21/oz.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom