Metal Ball

ANoble

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this metal ball, maybe cast-iron, in my yard a couple years ago (I live in San Diego). It's exactly 1 pound and almost exactly 2 inches in diameter. Is it a cannon ball?

DSC03233.JPG

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The term "one pounder" is the actual "name"... but more so the "caliber designation"... to be exact.

Upvote 0

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks like a one pounder, I hope it is! If so, you have a very nice relic on your hands! What is the diameter, it looks like it could be 1.95 inches like AARC said, I think you may have one.

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is either a small canon ball or maybe a canister shot.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"Precision" weighing, and diameter measuring, are crucially important for correctly distinguishing an actual cannonball from the many lookalikes which are NOT artillery balls. You say this ball weighs "exactly one pound, which causes me to assume you weighed it on a precision scale which said 1 pound 0 ounces. If that is the case, its precise weight and diameter of 1.95-inches (not counting the rust-encrustation) would indicate it is a 1-Pounder caliber cannonball, from the Colonial Era into the early-1800s. Its weight and diameter also indicate it is made of cast-iron, and not steel, which is a heavier alloy. (A steel ball of 1.95-inch diameter would weigh about 1 pound 1.6 ounces.) There were no steel Field Artillery cannonballs, so your ball being made of cast-iron keeps it in the cannonball category.

I checked the historical data on diameters-&-weight of Grapeshot and Canister-ammo balls used in America, and can tell you that your ball's diameter and weight don't match up with any Grapeshot or Canister balls.

Upvote 0

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was never much fighting with cannon in California history, back then. I find rusty metal balls like this at old mine sites or along railroad spurs that come out of the mines. It could also be a large ball bearing.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just being Educational here... we can rule out a ball-bearing, because ANoble's ball is made of simple cast-iron. ALMOST ever since their beginning, ball-bearings have been made of steel, because of the crucial need for maximum durability/resistance-to-wear. Cast-iron doesn't stand up to "constant wear" very well at all.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

ANoble

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The diameter as far as I can measure is almost 2 inches!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

ANoble

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thank you so much for the insight! Yes, I did weight it on a precision scale and it is exactly 1 pound. I don't have a way to get an exact diameter, but it is just shy of 2 inches from what I can tell.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread