Metal Detectiing TN. cave / Anybody done this?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
By any chance to the lines on picture #10 match up with any rivers/valleys in the area? Could be part of a map as Frank had said if they do. Just a thought.

DocBeav,

Good point and one which I was going to discuss with Brad over the phone! From viewing the satellite images of the area, the left etching sort of matches the ridge lines in the area of the cave but also may could match the creek system flowing through the hollow below and the surround hollows. It also sort of matches some of the roads (some of which are not labeled on the satellite images) North through Northwest of the cave's location. Some or all of these roads probably existed back in the 1800's and if the etchings are of the roads, ridge lines or creeks, then they probably lead to something buried. The roundish etching which is to the right of the etched tree, ridge lines or creeks and near the crack between the two blocks, could quite possibly be the location of whatever is buried!

Frank
RoundEtchingInCave.jpg

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
Just a wild guess. Since it looks man made is it possible that the Indians living there had bored kids so they played in the mud and built that mound? Being in that cave it probably took years for it to dry. Long after the Indian's were gone someone found the cave, came across the mound and put their initials, code, map or what have you on the mound. Could the two lines into 4 lines mean 4 tributaries flowing into one like a map. Or the cave eventually splits off like that. Or is there 4 little springs flowing into one or the reverse, one splitting into four.

Who knows? The possibilities are endless

Those marks could even be the creek, dry or not out side the cave. Four going into two or one or the reverse. Hard to say. We'll probably never know.

Well there's my shot in the dark for today.

Clay

Last edited:

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good advice to deter lurkers!

DocBeav,

You just wrote about and stated the exact same thing I relayed to Brad over the phone while I was on my way home! Due this travesty and BVI Hunter's situation, I believe that some folks on these forums or lurkers or both are using information leaked here to their advantage. It is possible that one occurrence could be just mere coincidence but two occurrences and possibly more, then what you and I have wrote, may just be true! Considering the possibility of such trespasses of not only other member's trust but also on their' hard found hot spots and possible finds, it would behove all of us, to delete our locations or any personal information that would lead someone to our' doors and no longer provide any information in a Thread or posting, no matter how little it is, that might help someone locate our' hot spots! Hopefully there will be lots of members that read this post and yours' as well but in the meantime, maybe we should diplomatically put the word out.

Frank

Needless to say - I know exactly how you feel!!

Luckily in my case;

1) I glimpsed the thread about not using phones or GPS devices for pictures prior to my thread starting - a saviour for me!
2) Our head office is located elsewhere in the Caribbean to where I live, so all internet / email traffic from all the local Caribbean & South American offices gets re-routed through there.

The very best of luck to you all and well done Frank for helping out - maybe I'll get you down here for some sun one day??

best of luck to you all!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Needless to say - I know exactly how you feel!!

Luckily in my case;

1) I glimpsed the thread about not using phones or GPS devices for pictures prior to my thread starting - a saviour for me!
2) Our head office is located elsewhere in the Caribbean to where I live, so all internet / email traffic from all the local Caribbean & South American offices gets re-routed through there.

The very best of luck to you all and well done Frank for helping out - maybe I'll get you down here for some sun one day??

best of luck to you all!

Thanks Captain! I hope you don't mind me calling you that but if you have truly found a shipwrecked Spanish Galleon, then to me, you are it's Captain now!

I always shoot straight no matter if it is in what I say with my' mouth, what I type with my' hands and aim at and shoot with my' guns! If some members or lurkers of these forums don't like it, that is their problem! If it is the truth and it just might be, I am going to let folks know.

Good for you, that you had the sense and knowledge to be careful what you researched, uploaded and wrote on the Thread postings! Please read my' PM that I will send right after posting this post.

Thanks for even considering me to come down there to meet and possibly be in on an adventure of a lifetime! It would be great to just come down and meet you and be an observer! However, I have skills that many don't and can protect you and your' interests within the boundaries of the Law and otherwise, if necessary.

Take care and watch your' back, ah Captain!

Frank

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Could these be two Rabbit's heads or Fish heads etched out above the line? What do you think? If they are one or the other, then they must have some significance to the rest of the etchings!

Frank

P.S. Note: I believe that the dark object in front of what might be Rabbit's heads or Fish heads, is just a small piece of the ceiling that fell down and wedged itself in the crack.

RabbitOrFishHeadsInCave.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just a wild guess. Since it looks man made is it possible that the Indians living there had bored kids so they played in the mud and built that mound? Being in that cave it probably took years for it to dry. Long after the Indian's were gone someone found the cave, came across the mound and put their initials, code, map or what have you on the mound. Could the two lines into 4 lines mean 4 tributaries flowing into one like a map. Or the cave eventually splits off like that. Or is there 4 little springs flowing into one or the reverse, one splitting into four.

Who knows? The possibilities are endless. Those marks could even be the creek, dry or not out side the cave. Four going into two or one or the reverse. Hard to say. We'll probably never know.

Well there's my shot in the dark for today.

Clay

"The possibilities are endless"... damn right. Now as far as "kids" doing this Clay... NO. REMEMBER: This mound is long after natural light and in a NOT EASY TO REACH PLACE. Even if "they" had torches... NOT EASY. I have been 1.5 hrs deep into this cave (not an easy task at all with modern hand held lighting) and never did I see it "split off" into choices that could be followed.

I do admit I have NO IDEA where cavern goes by entrance after entering it. It just goes back about 30 feet and then goes to left.....? Does it get larger / smaller?? But it is a small entrance to enter but doable. But the ceiling now has a visual crack with one half hanging lower than the other (plus bobcat concern).

Last edited:

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
That was just one theory. The other was the I PM you about. I have more going through my head but without actually being there when people were in the cave seeing what was happening no one will really know. You just need to get in there and clean house.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
By the way have you checked TN history and seen if anybody has those initials?

"By the way have you checked TN history and seen if anybody has those initials?" While I am not going to go through everybody on this TN site.... I assure you nothing has changed from the time I 1st saw this mound in 1995-6 and/or the many times after (6-7 times). It is so obvious when you make a new scratch, mark or gouge on this mud within cave versus an old one. I probably shouldn't have said anything. I'm tired, hurt still and going back.

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
No no! I mean Tennessee history. See if you come across anybody from the past with those initials. Worth a try.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No no! I mean Tennessee history. See if you come across anybody from the past with those initials. Worth a try.

OK... Tennessee history (TN. state)..... NOT TREASURE NET (TN. site).... Sorry, and I mean SORRY. I really am tired though (still) and my mind is reeling on what is the correct thing to do next (quickly). Frank mentioned this also I believe about Tennessee history (good job Frank). And, if I'm sore I really know Frank is because he was much worse than me the next morning. I'm better but...? I truly apologize... TN... state or TN... site? I know go shower, eat... stop thinking, grab the remote... and drift off... New photos coming.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
JeromeAz,

I have researched names of outlaws of Middle and West Tennessee, some property records and two Census records for those initials and have yet to find anything! Next, I will try Confederate and Union Officer's names and check more Census records and other sources to see if I can come up with something.

Frank

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
JeromeAz,

I have researched names of outlaws of Middle and West Tennessee, some property records and two Census records for those initials and have yet to find anything! Next, I will try Confederate and Union Officer's names and check more Census records and other sources to see if I can come up with something.

Frank

I really hope that when more photos are taken from different angles of the mound that more of the etching will show up to be recognized. Stay tuned... Good job Frank. Maybe if some of the marking are "letters" we'll see more within the mound when photographed next time.... Soon... Brad... Thanks to all and for your interest. Good NIGHT!!!!

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
JeromeAz,

I was thinking outlaws, soldiers, not just during the civil war but before and after too. Slaves. Even regular folk too. If they were burying anything of value I doubt it would be anybody just passing through but you never know.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
JeromeAz,

I was thinking outlaws, soldiers, not just during the civil war but before and after too. Slaves. Even regular folk too. If they were burying anything of value I doubt it would be anybody just passing through but you never know.

Thanks for your efforts Clay... you also Frank on the research. Ok, my batteries are somewhat more charged now. I'm going to fix some breakfast, pack up MD, and cameras and head on back. I'm probably going to take more digital photos then is needed of mound today but I'm getting shots from all angles. Maybe someone will know how to put the photos together so we can possibly see something new or more clearly. I'll get some shot's of the area so folks can see how far away the mound is from streambed and the cut-out you crawled through Frank. I'll call or text Frank when I arrive and leave the cave. I'll try and check another 30-40 yards upstream of mound and look around also... later, Brad

Last edited:

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gman-26

Jul 2, 2013
CT
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys....total noobie here and I just stumbled upon this riveting thread. I just came back from a 3 Week vacation in cosby, TN and I was so hoping that I would stumble upon a old coin or artifact with my MD in the area when I rented. But this story just blows my mind. Please keep updating us with info. Limitool this is awsome!

Gman-26

Last edited:
OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys....total noobie here and I just stumbled upon this riveting thread. I just came back from a 3 Week vacation in cosby, TN and I was so hoping that I would stumble upon a old coin or artifact with my MD in the area when I rented. But this story just blows my mind. Please keep updating us with info. Limitool this is awsome!

Gman-26

Thanks guy.... Things aren't turning out (YET) the way I'd like them too. I went back again today to take more photos of the etched mound and it's measurements. The mound is 48" long and 16" high. I ran a string from the caves mouth to the mound on the way back today and reeled in when I exited cave. When I came home and measured it, it was 51 yards long. This is a much shorter distance than I thought it was from the entrance. The mound is located after 2 turns and all natural light is gone. Because of the effort needed to reach it I believe distance becomes distorted. I sent all the new photos to Huntsman53 (Frank) this afternoon and I'm sure he'll "work on them" and post if there's anything worthy outside of what we have posted earlier of it. I'm still hoping an "expert" will sound off if he/she sees something that "means" something concerning the etched mound. My camera is not as good as Franks... but I hope something is there to help. Thanks everyone for your interest and support thus far. What I'd really like to do is video from the cave's mouth up to this mound so ALL OF YOU COULD "SEE"... Later, Brad

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brad
Did I miss if the cave had a large over hang or opening with shelter over it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread