Metal detecting at schools??

lFoundlInlOhiol

Jun 29, 2007
Tennesee...(from Ohio)
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Havent been booted yet !! well once mabe, but no at a school..a place were an old house burnt, place was trashed...guy came from across the street from his muffler shop ,and asked me if i was buying this land ..I replied {{NOO}}..he then said well i talked to the owner and he said you wasent sopp to be here..plain and simple i said sorry,, and went on my way....... ;)

lFoundlInlOhiol

Jun 29, 2007
Tennesee...(from Ohio)
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
spez401 said:
If it is a public school, the rules SHOULD be the same as local parks. If it is a private school... different rules apply. either way, check your local laws. If it is not listed, or prohibited, then go for it. However, if there is a local ordinance, or state law that prohibits it... stay away, or ask permission.

Either way, you should ask for permission, but more importantly, check your local laws. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, and while many say "what's the worst that could happen? I get a warning." there are things that are a lot worse. I posted this in a thread earlier this summer:

"It isn't worth it. Back in the beginning of April, I defended a gentleman who used a metal detector on a prohibited site (underwater). There was a statute that prevented it. Here was the total tab after all his gear was confiscated:
$2500 in Scuba Gear
$1000 for and Excalibur 1000 (bought about 2 months ago)
$3500 for 14' zodiac and motor
$1000 in fines
$750 legal fees (to me )
$8,500 Total bill"

Easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission... not always. I'm not saying that this will happen to you... My client didn't think it would, but it can.

steve
they can have my bounty hunter lol....no really it works for me ;D

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a school, folks, not the Taj Mahal. Relax. Go when it is out of session and dont do anything stupid like tearing up stuff. If you are asked to leave - then leave. If not have fun

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
Ant... the analogy isn't exactly on point. that was already explained. It is there to show that just because you are ignorant of the law doesn't mean you won't be punished. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse. In this case, there was no question my client took the items... he just didn't know he couldn't. The point is, there was a specific law in place that prohibited it. he violated it and now has to suffer the consequences. Just because you (and many others) have hopped fences and done it for years, doesn't make it right OR legal.

Tom, when I said "I have never asked for permission... because i know there is nothing that prohibits me from going.", I was talking specifically about the public schools and parks in my town... i should have been more specific. But, that is because I already checked the state and town laws. In my town, we have a specific ordinance on metal detecting. It basically reads that all public property (schools, parks,... even the lawn in front of the town hall) are to be used for the public enjoyment. Under the definition of enjoyment, MDing is included. There is a specific clause on MDing public grounds which states that it can be done, digging also, provided that ground impact is minimal, and no trace of excavation can be observed afterwards. So for me, I know I am permitted. On the other hand, the town over from me, has an absolute ban on MDing public property.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
spez401 said:
Ant... the analogy isn't exactly on point. that was already explained. It is there to show that just because you are ignorant of the law doesn't mean you won't be punished. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse. In this case, there was no question my client took the items... he just didn't know he couldn't. The point is, there was a specific law in place that prohibited it. he violated it and now has to suffer the consequences. Just because you (and many others) have hopped fences and done it for years, doesn't make it right OR legal.

Ignorance of the Law is No Excuse, that's one the first laws we learn in our Society. Even the most uninformed Citizen should be aware of that law. We’ve all been told that from grade school, or should have.

Anyway, the consensus here says that almost all places don’t care about people metal detecting at public schools when school is out. And that it’s better to leave well enough alone, instead of attracting unwanted attention.

Asking permission will only bring to the attention of the powers that be what we do. And then they can figure out another way to regulate another aspect or our hobby or put the place off limits in writing.

Just my 2 cents.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well said, Ant. All legal wrangling aside, we have enough laws that arent enforced now. We surely dont need the petty fascists to push detecting laws down our throat because we brought it to their attention.

Again, be a good citizen, dont do stupid crap like trespass and take care of our common good - like schools. But, no sense stirring the pot.

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
i have to agree with some of the posts here..

sometimes its better to get booted than ask and get a "no" from someone that has no clue. as far as public school yards go.. is it open? is it accessible to the public? if yes, go for it.

just dont look like a perve! going at night may not be a good idea. personally i hit school yards on weekends and after work on weekdays before it gets dark. been seen by many a school employee, never hassled. i try to stick to open areas and not look like i'm sneaking around close to buildings or anything like that.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Welllll Re-tek, it's people like you who give a bad name to metal detecting, by just assuming that metal detecting is not illegal. How could you do such a thing? Tell ya what: Box up all your metal detecting finds made at schools, and send them to me. I will absolve you of all guilt, and your conscience will be free! Think of it as my contribution to the furtherment of this great hobby. In the future, please cower more wherever you go. thankyou ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread