metal detecting conspiracy theorys abound do you think theres any truth in em

metal mania

Jul 4, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal detecting conspiracy theory's abound do you think theres any truth in em

conspiracy theory's interesting heres a few for your consideration.

1. The banner boys

Members that make the banner get into the banner boys club where all the really great sites are divided up between them.

2. Detector company's hold back the ground breaking detectors to encourage sales.

3. Some of the really big finders never post their finds.

some really knowledgeable guys/gals never post finds ever.

4. Dog dirt grows silver

please consider and add your own

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: metal detecting conspiracy theory's abound do you think theres any truth in

Interesting theory's

Except #3 is a fact and not a theory

OP
OP
M

metal mania

Jul 4, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jeep said:
Interesting theory's

Except #3 is a fact and not a theory
thanks for the confirmation Jeep perhaps your one of the big hitters?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: metal detecting conspiracy theory's abound do you think theres any truth in em

I don't know about no Banner Club.
#2. Seems the manufactures would want to beat the completion to new technology or features to increase sales, not hold them back. One company can "hold back" on production of a model to make everyone think it is so hot they can't keep up with all the orders for the dang thing. This is hype as the model isn't all it is cracked up to be by the guys that really know it's capabilities.

#3. I don't know if I am a big hitter or not, but I hardly ever post my finds for various reasons. One being that I don't need the pat on the head telling me I've done good and the Archies have no business on what I find. I also don't look at what I found till I get home as you never know who is watching you. It's like telling everyone that you found a Rolex. Guess what happens......... :laughing7:

C

Cappy Z.

Okay okay. I admit it. I found a Timex.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Re: metal detecting conspiracy theory's abound do you think theres any truth in em

talking or posting too great of a find will draw extra "attention" -- from fellow hunters .archie types and even govt types depending on what it is === some finds I show .others I do not --location of finds is my bussiness == folks who ask "where" are saying tell me so i can get it without doing any research , just loot and haul your finds away --

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

#3 might be partially true. I for example don't want to put up with what the hunter had to put up with from Hawaii. I've found some really nice items that I would be scared to post. Imagine posting something and someone who is probably not even close to being the owner of that item saying that it is theirs. I've had people try to scam me at the beach to look for something that they new someone else had lost.....too many scamers.....

#4 Dog dirt, is that the same as dog chalk?? :D

The banner issue I think is just luck just like finding the item that got them there. I've seen items that should have made the banner and seen others that I believe it's better that I don't comment.....everybody has their opinion....

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur, Sovereign GT, Fisher CZ-6a

Well I don't consider myself a "big hitter"....Just what is a "big hitter" anyway??....I'm just a guy who enjoys the hobby and enjoys sharing it with others on here and other forums.....It's not worth it (in my opinion) to do what it takes to do well in this hobby....I mean all the years and all of the "sand time" it takes to become accomplished and just keep it all to yourself. And all the time worrying that someone else will find out where you are hunting and will come and get it out from under you and take it all....Now don't misunderstand....I don't advertise exact locations.....In my videos I show different beaches and the occasional landmark sneaks in there from time to time. I have seen from doing this over time that when that happens I don't see an influx of strangers overrunning my hotspots....I do see the regulars out there and they get their shares (as do we all)....I guess the bottom line is that it is what it is and will I be clamming up anytime soon?....not a chance!....I'll just continue enjoying every aspect of this hobby and for those that don't like it.....well.....I'm sorry that they feel that way....It doesn't change anything.....I hope that they can get over it sometime and just have fun !!

TXcoindigger

Dec 29, 2008

Surfdigger said:
Well I don't consider myself a "big hitter"....Just what is a "big hitter" anyway??....I'm just a guy who enjoys the hobby and enjoys sharing it with others on here and other forums.....It's not worth it (in my opinion) to do what it takes to do well in this hobby....I mean all the years and all of the "sand time" it takes to become accomplished and just keep it all to yourself. And all the time worrying that someone else will find out where you are hunting and will come and get it out from under you and take it all....Now don't misunderstand....I don't advertise exact locations.....In my videos I show different beaches and the occasional landmark sneaks in there from time to time. I have seen from doing this over time that when that happens I don't see an influx of strangers overrunning my hotspots....I do see the regulars out there and they get their shares (as do we all)....I guess the bottom line is that it is what it is and will I be clamming up anytime soon?....not a chance!....I'll just continue enjoying every aspect of this hobby and for those that don't like it.....well.....I'm sorry that they feel that way....It doesn't change anything.....I hope that they can get over it sometime and just have fun !!

Well Said. I used to post more pics than i do now. I am making videos too to get my old Dad and me on record for my Grandkids in the future. I always enjoy seeing pics of cool finds so I figure others do too. If I ever find the cache of gold bars I doubt anyne else would know about it.

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur, Sovereign GT, Fisher CZ-6a

Sandman said:
I don't know about no Banner Club.
#2. Seems the manufactures would want to beat the completion to new technology or features to increase sales, not hold them back. One company can "hold back" on production of a model to make everyone think it is so hot they can't keep up with all the orders for the dang thing. This is hype as the model isn't all it is cracked up to be by the guys that really know it's capabilities.

#3. I don't know if I am a big hitter or not, but I hardly ever post my finds for various reasons. One being that I don't need the pat on the head telling me I've done good and the Archies have no business on what I find. I also don't look at what I found till I get home as you never know who is watching you. It's like telling everyone that you found a Rolex. Guess what happens......... :laughing7:

Hey Dennis to address #3....I don't see many Archeologists lurking behind the sand dunes wondering how many modern gold wedding bands and clad coins (even modern silver coins) I am finding. As for someone trying to claim something that I have found.....that sounds so intrigung and makes for a good story....but in 35 years of doing this and I'm out there alot....I get folks joking with me about finding their diamond rings but to have someone press the issue?.....It hasn't happened to me yet.....will it ever happen? IMHO....no...I don't worry about it or even expend the energy it takes to be looking over my shoulder....in the outside possibility that it does happen? LOL....well I want to see someone try it....if it is legitimate....I have no problem....if it's a scam....well....bring it on....I love a good scam!!....even a bad one! Sounds like fun....I enjoy the challenge....Since I deal with scum for a living.....it's nothing I'm not accustomed to.....but that's me....LOL

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

#1 is a little tough given so many locations around the world.... but I wish it was true. :wink:

#2 No way. They'd all have to be involved.

#3 Some aren't even on the net so you can be guaranteed it's true. I actually used to be someone who didn't post my better finds. My best coin and a couple of better relics never seen the internet for months if not years after I dug them. Yeah there's far more found than posted. I had a friend quite a few years back that was digging more Rev War stuff than anyone I knew anywhere. He was online but didn't post much, and not a thing for his better years.

#4 Given my last few years silver count I'm starting to bank on it.

OP
OP
M

metal mania

Jul 4, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thanks 4 the replies guess 3 must b true just looka at all those big hitters yea :headbang: :thumbsup:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

#3 for me, I fess up.

I am now (even for the GTI 2500 8 battery sucker) starting to actually find enough clad to pay for my batteries, but I put that to kids realizing the true value of a quarter - about nothing.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Surfdigger I am not worried about Archies lurking around the sand dunes, it is the thieves and gang members that might want a piece of the action from us looking at a nice ring out in the open like a tourist. I am not worried about someone claiming a found item as theirs. As for posting pics of relics the Archies get all jacked outta shape and get more bureaucrats to close hunt areas to us just because they can do it. Just better to keep a low profile. Slip the goodie away like it was trash and move on to the next one. But it is OK to smile, just save the Happy dance for at home. To flaunt your finds is plain foolish. Nothing wrong with showing them to a few family members and friends though.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Having never experienced #3, I couldn't possibly experience #1. I blame it on a combination of #2 and not having enough #4.

Definitely a conspiracy. :evil7:

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Spooky said:
DigginThePast said:
Having never experienced #3, I couldn't possibly experience #1. I blame it on a combination of #2 and not having enough #4.

This "Spooky" kitty agrees.

Attachments

• tin-foil-hat.jpg
    tin-foil-hat.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 526

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Spooky said:
DigginThePast said:
Spooky said:
DigginThePast said:

This "Spooky" kitty agrees.

OOOHHH!!!! I like that one BETTER!!!!!

(right click, save as....) :-)

How about this one? :laughing7:

Attachments

• tin_foil_cat_hat.JPG
    tin_foil_cat_hat.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 527

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OMG, too funny. :laughing9: :laughing9:

When I get home I have to do the same to my cat, her tail too. :laughing9: :laughing9:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

I'll go with #3 . I don't know what kind of car my next door neighbor drives ; I make it a point . Neither do I share with him what I'm driving .....
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread