Metal detecting in Hawaii HELP HELP

treasurenut

Oct 19, 2006
FL
Detector(s) used
White DFX, Minelab Excaliber II, Aquapulse
I am in Hawaii today for a weeks vacations an off course the island is beautifull but here are some things I did not know about metal detecting in hawaii. I use the Minelab excalibur 1000.

I am on Waikiki beach and people come up to you and ask all the time if I can find this or that so there should be plenty of stuff there. The problem is the minerals of the beach, volcanic rock and what not makes the metal detector go crazzy.

I am using the machine with out hearing the treashold as the tone is erratic all the time because off the mineral. I have tried everything and finally called the Minelab/white dealer here on the island. Very nice guy. He told me that here in hawaii things are done a little different. Use the treashold below audio and then set the sensetivity at 80% (about 10-11 o'clock). This will give me a tone when something good is found and else stay quite. Walking up and down waikiki beach I found 3 penies and 1 dime. This is on a 2 hour hunt. Now you think to your self, with this setting how much am I missing. I have been in the water also and found 2 pennies on a 2 hour hunt.

So maybe Waikiki is not the metal detector paradise that I thought it was or I am using the wrong machine.

The Minelab/ white dealer I talked to this morning told me that the PI units have the same problem as the minerals in the beach and the salt water will give it a falsh signal all the time.

Anybody with any info on metal detecting in Hawaii, including other machines that will 100% (proven) work better I am open for suggestions. I am here for another 6 days so I have time to break in a new machine if that is the problem.

Please help if you have been here metal detecting.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whites P.I. does well in the water and wet sand areas. Not silent but retains good depth. Recently saw a post saying the new Whites M6 worked really well on the dry sand there and you don't need to use the beach mode.

Mike T

Oct 4, 2006
I lived in Hilo on the big Island for 2 years and its REALLY mineralized no sand, just lava. I saw guys doing okay with a Fisher 1280, thatsall I can recommend as I didn't have a detector then.

OP
OP
treasurenut

treasurenut

Oct 19, 2006
FL
Detector(s) used
White DFX, Minelab Excaliber II, Aquapulse
I am getting quite good with the excalibur in silent mode or without the treashold ( hum ) being on. It was hard to get used to, but now its fine. Thanks for all

bjmeneely

Dec 6, 2005
I was there last year. Did equally well, with my Whites PI, and my Tesoro cutless. I know there are a lot of people detecting there, but you should do better than you did. I'm not that familar with your detector, but hope you do better next time. Don't give up.

PCoats

Jun 30, 2015
Honolulu
Detector(s) used
Garrett and Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in Hawaii today for a weeks vacations an off course the island is beautifull but here are some things I did not know about metal detecting in hawaii. I use the Minelab excalibur 1000.

I am on Waikiki beach and people come up to you and ask all the time if I can find this or that so there should be plenty of stuff there. The problem is the minerals of the beach, volcanic rock and what not makes the metal detector go crazzy.

I am using the machine with out hearing the treashold as the tone is erratic all the time because off the mineral. I have tried everything and finally called the Minelab/white dealer here on the island. Very nice guy. He told me that here in hawaii things are done a little different. Use the treashold below audio and then set the sensetivity at 80% (about 10-11 o'clock). This will give me a tone when something good is found and else stay quite. Walking up and down waikiki beach I found 3 penies and 1 dime. This is on a 2 hour hunt. Now you think to your self, with this setting how much am I missing. I have been in the water also and found 2 pennies on a 2 hour hunt.

So maybe Waikiki is not the metal detector paradise that I thought it was or I am using the wrong machine.

The Minelab/ white dealer I talked to this morning told me that the PI units have the same problem as the minerals in the beach and the salt water will give it a falsh signal all the time.

Anybody with any info on metal detecting in Hawaii, including other machines that will 100% (proven) work better I am open for suggestions. I am here for another 6 days so I have time to break in a new machine if that is the problem.

Please help if you have been here metal detecting.

Aloha.

I have metal detected in Waikiki and experienced your problems.
The island is sinking and the water level is rising due to global warming. The sand is dredged and spread on the beach, and whatever signals you have that are strong and wide, is solid concrete with rebar. With repeated sessions you would know where the shallow sand areas are. In many parts of Waikiki, there are solid concrete slabs below.

A lot of people have similar thinking in that a lot of tourists equates to a lot of lost items; there are a number of metal detectorists in Waikiki.
If you went to Waikiki repeatedly, eventually you would accumulate, in your mind, places you found items and go back to. It is not possible to solve the puzzle in a vacation. Hawaii is a new state and without a long history, so there are not many old coins and jewelry to be found here compared to other states.

Good luck.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The thread is 8 1/2 years old PCoats. His vacation is probably over :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread