metal detecting San Jose CA?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
What type sites/targets are you into? Ie.: turf? old? new? nuggets? relics? jewelry? coins? Check out the San Jose metal detecting club. Lots of nice guys there. Here's their website:

http://waipahuhaole1.tripod.com/treasurehunters.html

You might find someone to share some sites with you. Otherwise: research :)

OP
OP
smeagher

smeagher

Feb 28, 2013
Mostly coins and jewelry. Being going to local parks, schools, beaches. Have not found that diamond in the rough yet.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If you mean "new" coins (clad), then you can go to just about anywhere, and bulk up. If you mean "old" coins, you'll have to be one-sly-dog to find them around San Jose. Because there's been no shortage of md'rs there plying the obvious spots, since the 1970's there. But there's still things, if you do your research. Or hit old yards in the oldtown district, since most md'rs don't knock on doors, hence yards are sort of a "last frontier". Or watch for old-town urban demolition tearouts (old sidewalks, buildings, etc...) and hit the dirt when the tractors are done for the day.

As for jewelry, park turf is a poor place to do that, on account of the junk ratios. Better to simply hit swimming beaches, if jewelry is your goal. Much more condusive to jewelry losses (and quite frankly, sand is easier to dig in :))

And check out the San Jose club at the next meeting.

OP
OP
smeagher

smeagher

Feb 28, 2013
Thanks Tom. I will be going to next club meeting on March 14. New to this hobby and have fun with it. So much that I am thinking of upgrading the entry level unit I have. Discovery 3300 by bounty hunter. Not sure what to get or just keep using what I have.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread