^^ "From what I understand, you can't metal detect in the water off of Vero Beach and nearby areas because of that company that has a lease off shore right? By the way, I think this is very unfair and offensive."
Yes, it is unfair but................from what I remember, & things may have changed since ten years ago, you can make a deal with the lease holder where you will split what you find in the water 50/50. I don't remember the lease holder's name, but I remember his initials are B.B.
I always use this story when I tell people what you can find in shallow water off the Treasure Coast. A father & son in 3-4 feet of water off of Vero Beach, and you can see in the video, the anchor of their boat is stuck in the sand on the beach, found 4.5 million in gold coins from the treasure fleet. I'm sure they split it with B.B., but 2.25 million is pretty darn good for a sub-contractor. I don't know if B. B. will bust your balls for small, recent stuff not related to the fleet. It's always good to seek out the lease holders & ask what the deal is, otherwise from the dunes to the low-tide line is all yours.
LINK to Vero Beach find video:
https://www.floridatoday.com/videos/news/local/2015/08/19/31979083/