Metal detection services needed (2 box I believe)

srtme

Feb 26, 2013
Santa Maria, CA
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I am a realtor in Santa Maria, CA and have a problem. My clients remember their dad burying things in the backyard (silver, etc..), but they were young when this happened and cannot remember how deep or where. Their yard is 1/5 of an acre and for argument lets assume the backyard is half the yard. Knowing their father I assume he buried things in the 4 to 8 foot deep range. From what I have read I require the services of someone (preferably local) who has a 2 box system that I can hire to scan their yard. Any information or input would be appreciated as they would like to do this before selling the property. Thank you

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The two box machine idea assumes the objects (containers) were jar sized or bigger. About the smallest thing a 2-box machine can find, is a soda can sized object. It's certainly possible your objects are that sized or bigger. But I have heard of containers ("bread and butter" caches) no bigger than fist sized, tobacco tin sized, etc... 1/5 of an acre (or "half of that" as you say) is not that big of an area.

I've had some luck with similar searches (1 for a realtor as a matter of fact, in a jar :)) Although I'm about 2.5 hrs. north of you. PM me, and if I can't do it, I've got some So. CA friends that can perhaps come north to you.

Good luck!

OP
OP
S

srtme

Feb 26, 2013
Santa Maria, CA
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
From what they remember their dad could stand in the hole and he crosshatched rebar over it after burying it with a lot of dirt and then buried that, so my assumption is it's considerably more than a jar and is still a ways south of me. I am new to this and worry about the depth being a problem

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait for Frankn to chime in, he appears to be a guru on the two box :icon_thumright:

If he doesn't chime in, I'd suggest sending him a pm.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Sheesk, "covered it with rebar" ?? Sounds like a pirate treasure story to me (layers of boobie traps and such , haha). Sure a 2-box unit will get stacks of rebar. So too will most any machine get something that big :) The advantage of a 2-box machine, in a case like that though, is not so much that it "hears it" or "hears it deeply", but rather, that if the yard is junky (typical household nails, foil, tabs, etc...) a 2-box machine simply won't hear anything like those small things (ie.: "only" hear objects that are large).

I'll pop you a PM.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread