Metal Detector suggestions for a new hunter.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im pretty sure in most of va theres a lot of mineralization in the soil, red clay? But i remember hearing you need a pi machine to hunt those conditions. not sure how cheap you can get a pulse induction detector for. someones gotta chime in here soon on this.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$200 is obviously at the low, low end of detectors and severely limits your options.

Garret Ace 250 from ebay or a bounty hunter would be my suggestion, both are decent starter machines.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You want a Tesoro Compadre, with an 8" coil - Go to Supporting Vendors and talk to the dealer's listed there. You can trust them, and they will be there after the sale to help you!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Virginia for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Terry already said, for a 200 $ budget you can't do better then a Tesoro compadre with the 8" coil. You will smoke a bunch of higher priced detectors with this one, especially in parks with a lot of junk. The compadre has an excellent discrimination.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
For your budget, Terry gave you the best advice you will receive here.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd personally hesitate to recommend a detector without a display to a noob, I stand by my suggestion.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum from Massachusetts!

IMHO, I would save a bit more and purchase a mid-level machine. These machines have more adjustments to compensate for difficult ground conditions; if you live in such an area.

Good luck in your detector search.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, buy from the "Supporting Vendors". They're reputation(s) are made and broken here at TNet. They live with the sales made here. ╦╦Ç

GroundBalanced

Aug 4, 2017
WestCoast-FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be honest, I love my old Fischer F2 on land for a newbie.
I would consider researching something that might be older than 2017 release, and look for a used unit.
Doesn't need to be Fischer (i just mentioned it because i have one).
Lots of guys (and girls) upgrade, and look to sell their prev unit which they cared for nicely.
You might be able to get "more for your money" if you don't mind swinging an axe that was previously used.
Even the vendors supported on the forum have used units at times.
Good luck!

OP
OP
M

madmac28

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2017
Williamsburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Alright thanks of all of the help. since my birthday is coming up the price has gone to 300 dollars! I was on metaldetector.com and the guy said that the bounty hunter platinum. What do you guys think about this detector? Or if there are others in my price range. Thanks again for the help!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro Mojave

Tesoro Silver uMax

Zero Discrimination

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2017
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minlabe Explorer SE, Garrett Sea Hunter MarII, Garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say...either a Garrett Ace 250 or a Tesoro Campadre would be great beginner models. Good luck! ~ Gypsy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread