Metal Detector suggestions

bpd138

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2011
Hello everyone,
This past summer I noticed a few people using metal detectors around my town. I was somewhat intrigued at what they were doing so I started doing a little research on metal Detecting. Which leads me to my question...............................I am so confused!

I know there is no one perfect all around metal detector. I understand that you need different detectors and frequencies for different types of metals. However, like most people I don't have an unlimited supply of money to buy a metal detector for every application. Oh yes, my question, I'm getting there and I'm sure you all know what it is going to be. lol

I live in Massachusetts and I want to purchase a good all round detector that can find coins, relics etc but one that is also capable of finding the odd piece of jewelry. Can someone please recommend a half way decent metal detector for less than $500.00? Closer to $400.00 would be better. lol

I have been looking at the Fisher F4, the White's Prizm IV and the Mineladb X-terra 305. Anyone have any thoughts on these?
Thanks for any help, info and insight,
Willie

bpd138 said:
Hello everyone,
This past summer I noticed a few people using metal detectors around my town. I was somewhat intrigued at what they were doing so I started doing a little research on metal Detecting. Which leads me to my question...............................I am so confused!

I know there is no one perfect all around metal detector. I understand that you need different detectors and frequencies for different types of metals. However, like most people I don't have an unlimited supply of money to buy a metal detector for every application. Oh yes, my question, I'm getting there and I'm sure you all know what it is going to be. lol

I live in Massachusetts and I want to purchase a good all round detector that can find coins, relics etc but one that is also capable of finding the odd piece of jewelry. Can someone please recommend a half way decent metal detector for less than $500.00? Closer to $400.00 would be better. lol

I have been looking at the Fisher F4, the White's Prizm IV and the Mineladb X-terra 305. Anyone have any thoughts on these?
Thanks for any help, info and insight,
Willie
You might want to start with an older unit, like a coinmaster from Whites, yes they call them Vintage and you might get some looks;however i have found some good finds with these machines, going behind other friends with high priced machines. Its takes a while to find out what your machine can do, I like the coinmaster 5000D/6000D because they are running off a 18 Volt system, unlike the new machines that only run on 12 Volts, or 9 Volts. More volts more depth!!!!

I found a Garrett Ultra GTA 350 on ebay for about $140.00
Afterward I saw the same thing go for $88.00
This is good for 6" depth

I saw a Whites TM808 go for about $249 on ebay...this one goes deep! but only gets big items and not small coins.

I have seen on ebay a NEW Garrett Ace 350 for about $249. I understand that they do a good job!

Ck out metal detector reviews http://metaldetectorreviews.net/

ask around at treasure forum sites.

those real old detectors will work but they are way out of date and you will be able to get a lot newer
detector for what you want to spend that will cover what you want to do.

Of the ones you listed, I think the XTerra 305 would be best.

You might want to also consider researching the following:

Garrett Ace 250/350

Tesoro Compadre

Tesoro Silver uMax

dtpost said:
You might want to start with an older unit, like a coinmaster from Whites, yes they call them Vintage and you might get some looks;however i have found some good finds with these machines, going behind other friends with high priced machines. Its takes a while to find out what your machine can do, I like the coinmaster 5000D/6000D because they are running off a 18 Volt system, unlike the new machines that only run on 12 Volts, or 9 Volts. More volts more depth!!!!

I still have my 6000D, and I used it a lot and liked it. It has a BFO, which was a nice option sometimes.

Almost any detector under $400 will find coins and the ocassional relic or jewelry items. The most important part of going deep however, is mostly in the size of the coil. Going deep, in most cases is what is needed for relics,especially civil war relics.In buying a detector,weight,disrimination,and coil sizes were always the most important thing to me. There are detectors out there that can find anything deep,but carrying one around all day will kill your arms,shoulders and hands.There is always a comprimise, no matter which one you choose. Buying a used detector may be more of an option to you.Detectors made just a few years ago still are plenty capable of finding what you seek. If you are going to hunt a trashy area(ball park,city park,school),you will want one with good discrimination capabilities. Digging every signal in these places is not an option.Years of trash(bottlecaps,pulltabs)will drive you nuts.If you can locate alocal dealer,he will probably have used units for sale, and you can try one out to see if it fits your needs.Happy Hunting. rockhound

I love my garrett ace 350 an you should take a close look at the bounty hunter platinum. I was so impressed with it that i ordered one and will be getting it friday.

I have a ace 250 , which paid for it self many times over , pinpoint is a bit off on the 250 , and there is no volume control Will put it up on ebay , ace 250 holds its value well , and sell it to a newbie . With that money will put towards an AT pro which is a ace 350 on steroids . ;D , i cannot help think of the Planet fitness commercial I lift things up and put things down with the steroid comment . Love my mine lab xterra 70 , and am not giving it up , great machine once you have learned it . Save the bucks get an AT pro for under $600, or by a used ace 250 , as the resale value holds up well.

UncleVinnys said:
I agree with Smudge above:

You might add Tesoro Golden Umax to the mix, as it has better discrimination than
the Silver Umax.

TESORO MEANS TREASURE.... good luck in your endeavors..... I have a Compadre and a Lobo Super Traq and yes i have found multiple items, most recently 21 silver spoons and a 1926 peace doller with the Compadre.... at about 8 inches... i believe the volume of silver spoons may be why i was able to get a lil deeper than expected... i am still learning.. thats why i am on this site... do not snicker at the Compadres price, it is comparable to many high end detectors, but remember you will be getting a small coil which has its advantages in and around small areas... GOOD LUCK! HAPPY HUNTING die hard tesoro guy, Joe Hoo

dtpost said:

Seriously? Are you holding off on your LOL?

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I have been scouring ebay and the metal detector dealers for the last few days and I just (five minutes ago) bought a new Minelad X-terra for $420.00 shipped. I can't wait to get it. Just downloaded the manual from Minelab and will be reading it thoroughly.

I will post and fill you in about all the bottle caps I find on my first outing! lol

Great Forum.
Take care,
Willie

congrats on the mine lab you cannot go wrong , keep the tones to about 3 diffrent tones , the lower the tone like a dull deep beep usually means junk ferrous iron , the higher the tone the more nonferrous metals include aluminum, gold, copper, nickel, titanium and lead. Minelabs pinpoint is dead on , as well a dept etc etc . The coin i have on my profile was on its edge , 4" deep and my xterra pinpointed and id it as a large cent , and got the depth right on the money , And that was my 2nd time out with my minelab , the area i found this Connecticut colonial copper was about 500 yds off a main road , which was no doubt hunted out ...:headbang:

visit you tube allot of great vids on using a mine lab also , visit http://www.metaldetectingworld.com allot of great articles, and tips for beginners to advanced detectorist.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back