Metal detectors may become obsolete

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Okay so the human race will likely become extinct before this actually happens but a extremely rare and peculiar binary neutron star system was recently discovered. According to astrophysicists, these unimaginably dense stars can create a 'kilonova" which is a miraculous event where billions of tons of super-heavy elements like Gold and Uranium and Platinum are created in the blink of an eye and expelled across the cosmos. Pretty neat, eh?

"Rare binary star system is discovered that may shower space with GOLD"

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They can already make gold in nuclear reactors by bombarding mercury atoms with neutrons, the Russians probably created some gold-making nuclear reactor and have been cranking out tons of newly created gold without us even knowing about it. Just like lab-grown diamonds the technology already exists, it's just a matter of time until it becomes so widely adopted that all things once believed precious become common.

It has happened before. For example from the early 1800's until 1886 aluminum was worth more than its weight in gold, the largest piece ever cast in this time being the 6 pound cap of the Washington Monument in 1885, which cost the equivalent of several men's wages. The Hall–Héroult process of aluminum manufacturing was invented in 1886 and ever since Aluminum has become very cheap.

So how long before gold becomes cheap? Probably at the advent of the nuclear fusion reactor, such reactors can simply fuse any matter into heavier elements. At a large enough scale they can make gold cheaply - even as a byproduct of the manufacture of some heavier more useful elements like Rhodium.

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look my estimation is such , metal detecting became popular in the 70s about, so folks would find all the surface stuff and few inches deeper, now 40 years later detectors have advanced, better seperation and deeper, so sooner or later stuff will be harder to find, why the old stuff is gone forever, why nobody is losing and relpling silver and gold coins, hobby is stronger now, but finds are getting harder the old stuff

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Look my estimation is such , metal detecting became popular in the 70s about, so folks would find all the surface stuff and few inches deeper, now 40 years later detectors have advanced, better seperation and deeper, so sooner or later stuff will be harder to find, why the old stuff is gone forever, why nobody is losing and relpling silver and gold coins, hobby is stronger now, but finds are getting harder the old stuff
Interesting. People have been finding NA artifacts for over a century in the USA. People still hunt them and find them every year. Each one found means there is one less out there next time. Your theory has a lot of relevance. I still think we’ll see a lot of detected treasure for at least another 100 years.

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I should be clear the true silver and gold coins of years ago, and metal relics, if we only knew the percentage of what’s left. Only makes sense we take out nothing of value is getting replenished, just modern stuff

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I guess I should be clear the true silver and gold coins of years ago, and metal relics, if we only knew the percentage of what’s left. Only makes sense we take out nothing of value is getting replenished, just modern stuff
I agree. I also think that a 2022 coin lost at the 2023 county fair will be a very exciting find to a treasure hunter in 2085. Even though it’s not precious metal.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree. I also think that a 2022 coin lost at the 2023 county fair will be a very exciting find to a treasure hunter in 2085. Even though it’s not precious metal.
Good luck with those Zincolns surviving that long.
The way the 🌎 is playing out coins/paper bills will be eliminated and it will be all a credit system.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes. And that’ll make coin finds all the more exciting.
Great Grandchildren will be look, they use to have these objects that they traded for food and other things.

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depth is important but seperation ferrous from non ferrous will help discover the difficult situations

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, the good old stuff gets less every day. But, the junk always increases incredibly fast. When I started steel bottle caps were the main pain, few pull tabs and no aluminum screw tops. I can hardly believe all the modern junk in the ground when I visit places I hunted fifty years ago. The main renewable good find places are beaches, but that's for modern jewelry, old coins cannot be renewed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions