Pocopear

Greenie
Apr 17, 2020
Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy all! I need some help identifying and dating this metal printing plate. I found it out in the woods today. Crazy place to find such a treasure! Anyway, it has the words Ad. 595 FALL FASHION BOOK PICTORIAL REVIEW PATTERNS Dress 1857 45 cents. It has some other words as well and there is an image of a very stylish woman. The plate is approximately 2x3”. Any help is appreciated. Thanks and be well. Poco.

Attachments

• 2DF6B89B-4CC5-4054-AE8C-74A08769C38E.jpeg
    2DF6B89B-4CC5-4054-AE8C-74A08769C38E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Pretty cool find part of the fun is doing some research, Nice piece of History.

Upvote 0
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Pocopear! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

tn_moved_over.gif
2nd - I moved ya from GENERAL DISCUSSION over to WHAT IS IT? for more exposure.

Upvote 0
I’m hoping to do some more searching in that area. It was a last minute find and I was already running late. The perpetual ‘just one more’. It gets me every time!

Upvote 0
Thanks. I’m still trying to figure everything out. I haven’t used sites like this much.

Upvote 0
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Pocopear! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

tn_moved_over.gif
2nd - I moved ya from GENERAL DISCUSSION over to WHAT IS IT? for more exposure.
Thanks for your help. I will check it out. Poco.

Upvote 0
Welcome to Tnet from Toronto Pocopear! :hello:

This is a very interesting find, I just had to clean it up to get a better look at it.
Looks like it's made of lead so it may very well date to 1857.

My suggestion would be to have it professionally cleaned/restored, then consider having a print made from it and frame the plate and the print together. :thumbsup:
I'd head back there and look for more, as this could be one of many that may have been dis-guarded there.

Dave

Attachments

• 2DF6B89B-4CC5-4054-AE8C-74A08769C38E-crop.jpeg
    2DF6B89B-4CC5-4054-AE8C-74A08769C38E-crop.jpeg
    232.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Howdy all! I need some help identifying and dating this metal printing plate. I found it out in the woods today. Crazy place to find such a treasure! Anyway, it has the words Ad. 595 FALL FASHION BOOK PICTORIAL REVIEW PATTERNS Dress 1857 45 cents. It has some other words as well and there is an image of a very stylish woman. The plate is approximately 2x3”. Any help is appreciated. Thanks and be well. Poco.

Poco, welcome to TNet. Agree with the others that it is a neat find - and to find one complete - is uncommon. Certainly some history there, finding it in the dirt is only part of the fun, figuring out what book it came from gives context.

Upvote 0
Would be very cool to find a local 1920's Minnesota area newspaper that ran this exact ad.
That way, it might even be the actual plate that did the printing!

(I assume the item was found in Minnesota, although PocoPear did not say.)

Upvote 0
BAM, nhbenz nailed it! Now you have the artifact and context to go with it! The members on this website never cease to amaze me!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back