What's new

Meteor Storm Fri Night

Sticks

Full Member
Joined
May 22, 2014
Messages
199
Reaction score
99
Golden Thread
0
Location
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Dredge, M-7 wave table, Prospector Highbanker MD20
J.O.G Trommel
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Supposed to be a big meteor shower Fri night 11PM- 1AM peak 200 per hour enjoy thats west coast time btw
 
Thanks for the reminder Sticks. According to the professional Astronomers, this could be a boom of a show or a bust. No one alive today has seen this shower before. Believe the last time the Earth Passed through this Comets debris was in the early 1800's. I've read two different accounts from some old reports, one saying 100 meteors per hour and the other saying 200 per. Here, we are 0200 to 0400 est.

Doesn't matter. I'll be up with my coffee pot. I'm on the east coast and hoping for clear skies. I Have terrible luck with this type of viewing. Missed the last eclipse due to heavy cloud cover.
 
We have clouds...bummer!
 
just wish these meteor showers weren't so darn late.. I'll be drooling on my pillow by then
 
33 minutes into the peak time now, 2:33am my time, central Michigan, 6 bright orange meteors in the last hour, from the north east.
Not the kind of activity I was hoping for, but hey at least the sky is clear, and its cold enough to keep the Skeeter's at bay lol.

Mike
 
Well almost 3:50 now, only ten minutes left to the projected peak, I've seen 7 more meteors, and only 1 of which I think was from the comet.
Oh well better luck next time, still was/is a beautiful night to enjoy the outdoors.
Can see live cams from NASA here, if its cloudy in your area.
A Possible New Meteor Shower: May Camelopardalids | NASA

Mike
 
We've seen the space station go over twice this year, it was awesome!
 
I can relate,Blood Moon was cloudy, it had been clear here all week and rained last night and missed shower, bummer. I hope someone saw some burn in. My Grandson who's 5 told me on his own that 100 rocks will hit the ground tonight. Not sure where he heard that but hope someone swings across one
 
For me, it was a bust. Bummer. I started looking serious around 0130. Saw three from the comets debris between 0200 and 0330. Gave up. Did catch 3 "shooting stars" unrelated to the comet. I logged on and found photo's on several news sites. Maybe I should have followed that plan. Oh well, next time might be a winner.

I did see a winner of a show when I was a boy. Fantastic. Just can't remember what or when. Next time?
 
After reading your thread yesterday, I tried to view. The skys in SW Ohio were perfect, but a nearby river created so much fog viewing was impossible. Please notify of future storms. Thanks.
Peace
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom