My uncle had a similar experience....a meteorite struck his house in Connecticut, and pierced the roof and corner wall. It ended up out on the wood patio deck where it burned right through the 2X deck planks. It was so hot it burnt right through and dropped under the deck. It caused some good damage and pictures looked like a big bullet hole through the roof and wall. What was left was a fist sized meteorite!! This happened before I was born, or when I was very young. The story is told many times throughout the family. He took the meteorite to a scientific center that specializes in meteorites, and they sliced it 3 times and polished it. Half stayed with the scientist, and the other 2 pieces my uncle got. I got to hold them and inspect them a couple times, and no doubt a cousin or family member has squirreled them away somewhere !!