What's new

Meteorite?

timekiller

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
3,853
Reaction score
966
Golden Thread
1
Location
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this at a site I've been hunting on the river that has never produced nothing other than colonial finds from late 1600's to mid 1700's. And this is the only piece I've ever found that has this look weight and shape.It seems quite heavy for it's size.It is magnetic.Some parts of it more than others.I'll also add I've been at this site many times and no other pieces like this has ever surfaced.And no signs of any iron work being done at this site from going on all the other finds that has came from here.Just was wondering what you guy's thought or if you have ever seen anything like it. :icon_scratch:
Thanks Ahead For Your Help!
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0545.webp
    DSCN0545.webp
    69.5 KB · Views: 546
  • DSCN0546.webp
    DSCN0546.webp
    44.6 KB · Views: 533
  • DSCN0547.webp
    DSCN0547.webp
    86.4 KB · Views: 533
  • DSCN0548.webp
    DSCN0548.webp
    50 KB · Views: 518
taz42o said:
Probably iron slag ,meteorites do not have holes.
Taz, You beat me to it the vesicles don't form in a vacuum :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee
 
Upvote 0
taz42o said:
Probably iron slag ,meteorites do not have holes.
Thanks taz42o,Just thought I'd ask as I did not know what time and salt water might do to one.But you are most likely right. I'll give her the green check then.
Thanks Buddy! :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Thanks Guy's yea nothing has came from of this site that was newer then 1750.And remote as no way to get to it other then by boat! :thumbsup: It just still weighed so much for it size and was different then other pieces I've found.But I'll agree it is most likely some type of iron slag.Thanks All! :thumbsup:
Pete!
 
Upvote 0
Just wanted to run this through the wash one more time as it was quickly Id as slag. :icon_scratch: And wonder why the ones who say that are. As I would like to see what they are seeing if they could explain a little. :thumbsup: I'll add this I've welded and have cut steel alot and know of nothing like this from those deals.And where this was found that's 99.9% out of the question.I'll add again that this piece would be over 300 yrs old if made from human hands.So would slag hold up that long?And would it be so heavy?Or could it be............ ???? :dontknow:
 

Attachments

  • iron-meteorite[1].webp
    iron-meteorite[1].webp
    41.8 KB · Views: 339
Upvote 0
timekiller said:
Just wanted to run this through the wash one more time as it was quickly Id as slag. :icon_scratch: And wonder why the ones who say that are. As I would like to see what they are seeing if they could explain a little. :thumbsup: I'll add this I've welded and have cut steel alot and know of nothing like this from those deals.And where this was found that's 99.9% out of the question.I'll add again that this piece would be over 300 yrs old if made from human hands.So would slag hold up that long?And would it be so heavy?Or could it be............ ???? :dontknow:
TK, I hope this helps :icon_thumright: WWW.uky.edu/KGS/education/meteorfind.htm
Broken Knee
 
Upvote 0
Broken knee said:
timekiller said:
Just wanted to run this through the wash one more time as it was quickly Id as slag. :icon_scratch: And wonder why the ones who say that are. As I would like to see what they are seeing if they could explain a little. :thumbsup: I'll add this I've welded and have cut steel alot and know of nothing like this from those deals.And where this was found that's 99.9% out of the question.I'll add again that this piece would be over 300 yrs old if made from human hands.So would slag hold up that long?And would it be so heavy?Or could it be............ ???? :dontknow:
TK, I hope this helps :icon_thumright: WWW.uky.edu/KGS/education/meteorfind.htm
Broken Knee
It does somewhat. :D I had read that same site this morning. :thumbsup: I just don't know what it would be classed as.
It is magnetic.
It is heavy.
It has got to be old.
It streak test as a greyish color.
I soaked it in acid for ten minutes all it done was eat the calcium from the shells that had growed on it.
It's just wierd and sure there is a explaination!
But I thank you for getting back with me. :thumbsup:
When I don't know or understand something it bothers me! :laughing7:
Take Care!
Pete! :hello:
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom