Cuerno

Jan 31, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
Military Brass Buckle - nope here's a pic

I was metal detecting a very old vacant lot that the city is going to turn into a park and I started detecting military brass buckles all over the ground without the ammo web belt and there most be thousands of them laying an inch in the ground. Everytime I though I had a high coin signal it was another brass buckle so after about 15 minutes I just left. Now am thinking is the brass used in the ammo web belt solid brass and is it worth detecting when they are coming up three at a time or is it the same value as detecting zinc pennies? Am sure there has to be over a hundred pounds of these buckles, also thinking about going back and setting my detector to block out dimes and quarters and dig pennies signals but I think there's to many buckles laying around.

OP
OP
Cuerno

Cuerno

Jan 31, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Military Brass Buckle

I remembered I had a few of those buckles in my trash bag and on closer inspection I first put my large yellow magnet to them and none of them stuck to the magnet. I then scraped the buckles with a knife and some had the color of brass and some had the color of silver, the silver ones are not lead because of the hardness of the metal. I have come to the conclusion they are not military buckles, but instead horse and saddle buckles, they have no inscription on them. Here is a pic of them

Attachments

• buckle\'s 5.jpg
    buckle\'s 5.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 448

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Re: Military Brass Buckle - nope here's a pic

The bottom one you scraped looks more like copper, as brass is more like your magnet in color.
There are 4 different objects here and based upon the large quantity you describe I don't
believe they are buckles.
But I also don't know what they are.

dumpdigger

Nov 30, 2008
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XLT, Vaquero & Fisher 1280
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The bottom ones kind of look like the hardware that was on overalls when I was a kid. You put the straps over your shoulders and then hooked a button into the the bracket to hold them up like supenders. The others look like ones you would use to adjust the length. I have no idea what the top one might be. They look like they were made to hold straps of somekind. This is just a guess.

tinykin

Sep 13, 2009

The silver looking ones that are not magnetic are probably chrome plated brass. Give one a file or good scrape and see of the plating comes off. You should see yellow brass underneath.

silversaddle1

Dec 11, 2008

I can tell you exactly what those buckles are used on. Horse blankets.

OP
OP
Cuerno

Cuerno

Jan 31, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other

silversaddle1 said:
I can tell you exactly what those buckles are used on. Horse blankets.
I don't have any knowledge of horses, but along the concrete curve towards the street there are large steel rings embedded in the concrete I guess to tie the horse's. Thanks to all

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread