South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug my first military dog tag this weekend in the park woods. Did some digging into this soldier and found that he went MIA in Korea, 1950. Maybe this is his WW2 tag and was issued another one for the Korean War and that one is still overseas. Or maybe this is just a replica ordered by a relative. Interesting notch in one side.

I called his brother last night and left a message. Not sure if he is still alive or if it is an active number. The brother’s house is on my way home from work, so I might just bring it and knock on the door to see who is living there now.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 75071276-73DC-4543-A3B5-152BA4BA8F31.jpeg
    75071276-73DC-4543-A3B5-152BA4BA8F31.jpeg
    856 KB · Views: 106
  • A5930BBA-9725-45D6-82F7-5554264B2D64.jpeg
    A5930BBA-9725-45D6-82F7-5554264B2D64.jpeg
    943 KB · Views: 91
  • 18BF7F58-1F86-4710-9B61-02D56CF3564B.jpeg
    18BF7F58-1F86-4710-9B61-02D56CF3564B.jpeg
    387.4 KB · Views: 79
  • C518AE37-73AF-4257-A9AD-C22B8339AF8B.png
    C518AE37-73AF-4257-A9AD-C22B8339AF8B.png
    442.1 KB · Views: 91

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I dug my first military dog tag this weekend in the park woods. Did some digging into this soldier and found that he went MIA in Korea, 1950. Maybe this is his WW2 tag and was issued another one for the Korean War and that one is still overseas. Or maybe this is just a replica ordered by a relative. Interesting notch in one side.

I called his brother last night and left a message. Not sure if he is still alive or if it is an active number. The brother’s house is on my way home from work, so I might just bring it and knock on the door to see who is living there now.

Any ideas?
Good luck. I hope you find someone to whom you can return it.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I"m guessing this is not a WWII tag even if authentic. His tetenus shot (unually given during basic training) was administered in 1946--after WWII.
Here's a little history on this soldier:
Sergeant Rupert Zarin entered the U.S. Army from Pennsylvania and was a member of Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, 32nd Infantry Regiment, 7th Infantry Division. He went missing in action on or around December 2 during the withdrawal from Sinhung-ni to Hagaru-ri, though specific details regarding his loss are unknown. Sergeant Zarin's remains have not been located or identified following the war and he is still unaccounted-for. Today, Sergeant Zarin is memorialized on the Courts of the Missing at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific.
Don......
PS: The top notch is legit; the bottom notch may have been added --to open bottle caps perhaps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I"m guessing this is not a WWII tag even if authentic. His tetenus shot (unually given during basic training) was administered in 1946--after WWII.
Here's a little history on this soldier:
Sergeant Rupert Zarin entered the U.S. Army from Pennsylvania and was a member of Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, 32nd Infantry Regiment, 7th Infantry Division. He went missing in action on or around December 2 during the withdrawal from Sinhung-ni to Hagaru-ri, though specific details regarding his loss are unknown. Sergeant Zarin's remains have not been located or identified following the war and he is still unaccounted-for. Today, Sergeant Zarin is memorialized on the Courts of the Missing at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific.
Don......
Thx Don. If he was in WW2 per the article, then had another dog tag created in 1946 (per the one I found and your note on the T-46), he must have had another one (set) made for his deployment to Korea.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
We know from the 'RA' prefix to his service tag, he enlisted in the regular army. I'm guessing he enlisted in 1946 and by the time of his loss, he had made Sergeant.
Sidebar: In 1950, I was a kid who watch the 'battle line' in the daily paper. Here's what happened to Sergeant Zarin--and many others at the Chosin Reservoir.
"On the evening of November 27, 1950, Chinese Communist Forces (CCF) launched a massive attack against the U.S. and United Nations troops stationed in the Chosin Reservoir area in northeast North Korea, resulting in a seventeen-day conflict that became known as the Battle of Chosin Reservoir. At the time of the initial CCF attack, members the U.S. Army's 31st and 32nd Infantry Regiments were defending the area north of Sinhung-ni, on the east side of the reservoir. The defenders were overwhelmed by the numerically superior CCF, and on December 1, were forced to withdraw to friendly lines at Hagaru-ri. Chinese roadblocks from Sinhung-ni to Hagaru-ri along with the constant enemy fire from the surrounding high ground, made the withdrawal route extremely dangerous. Eventually, the column was broken into separate segments, which the CCF attacked individually. Many men were lost or captured during the moving battle, with survivors reaching friendly lines in Hagaru-ri on December 2 and 3."
Source: https://dpaa-mil.sites.crmforce.mil/dpaaProfile?id=a0Jt000000RcjSDEAZ
Don in SoCal

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suspect he lost it while home on leave, and then got a replacement tag later.

Hangman

Apr 12, 2014
Cape Coral Florida
Detector(s) used
BH Legacy 2500 , BH Time Ranger, El Cheapo pin pointer, ya gotta start some where !
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To the best of my knowledge, your issued 2 tags, one to be left with the remains if killed in action, the other goes to the Captain for processing. At least that was I was told in early 80s when I served. Army 1981/86

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Any ideas?
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

plehbah2

May 8, 2023
Colorado mountains
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, XP Deus II
We know from the 'RA' prefix to his service tag, he enlisted in the regular army. I'm guessing he enlisted in 1946 and by the time of his loss, he had made Sergeant.
Sidebar: In 1950, I was a kid who watch the 'battle line' in the daily paper. Here's what happened to Sergeant Zarin--and many others at the Chosin Reservoir.
"On the evening of November 27, 1950, Chinese Communist Forces (CCF) launched a massive attack against the U.S. and United Nations troops stationed in the Chosin Reservoir area in northeast North Korea, resulting in a seventeen-day conflict that became known as the Battle of Chosin Reservoir. At the time of the initial CCF attack, members the U.S. Army's 31st and 32nd Infantry Regiments were defending the area north of Sinhung-ni, on the east side of the reservoir. The defenders were overwhelmed by the numerically superior CCF, and on December 1, were forced to withdraw to friendly lines at Hagaru-ri. Chinese roadblocks from Sinhung-ni to Hagaru-ri along with the constant enemy fire from the surrounding high ground, made the withdrawal route extremely dangerous. Eventually, the column was broken into separate segments, which the CCF attacked individually. Many men were lost or captured during the moving battle, with survivors reaching friendly lines in Hagaru-ri on December 2 and 3."
Source: https://dpaa-mil.sites.crmforce.mil/dpaaProfile?id=a0Jt000000RcjSDEAZ
Don in SoCal

That must have been the hairiest of experiences to go missing in battle at Chosin Reservoir. Just thinking about what that must have been like makes my hair stand on end. Those Chinese ran along the mountain tops and ridgelines at night to surround the American soldiers. That is a very different life experience from working on the farm, falling in love, and starting a family.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Any ideas?
Update on this piece. I stopped by the Zarin house on my way home from work today and met James daughter / Rupert’s niece. After the initial cautious moment, she broke down crying and gave me a big hug when I handed her the dog tag. James is still alive at 93 years old and but was out when I stopped by. Happy Memorial Day!

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kudos all around " pa-dirt_nc-sand " . Great find & story.
For you, and all others here that appear to be interested,
there is a excellent documentary about The Chosin Reservoir Battle. Well worth watching. Complete with interviews of those who fought there. First person accounts. Very touching. Extremely harsh conditions.
At the very end of the documentary, they show how young children are taught in grade school about the battles & the sacrifices made by American soldiers to save Seoul & their country from being over-run by the Communists. The Americans saved South Korea.
The docu shows how grateful to this day the South Koreans are. They will pay all expenses for any Korean War vet who chooses to visit their country. Also, it is mandatory that school children tend to the graves of fallen Americans that are buried in the cemeteries there on a daily basis.
This is an IMDB link to the documentary. I highly recommend it if you can find it on cable or get a hold of a DVD.
LINK: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1561406/

Storyline

"In the winter of 1950, 15,000 U.S. Soldiers and Marines were surrounded and trapped by an overwhelming force of communist Chinese soldiers in the frozen mountains of North Korea. Facing impossible odds, the men fought 78 miles to freedom and saved the lives of 98,000 civilian refugees. Chosin is the first-ever documentary on the Chosin Reservoir Campaign. Presented in full, immersive HD, the stories of our veterans are supplemented with rare black and white and color archival footage gathered from hundreds of hours of research. After 60 years of silence, the survivors of the campaign take us on an emotional and heart-pounding journey through one of the most savage battles in American history. These first-hand accounts, combined with footage never before seen by most Americans, create a visceral, emotionally charged experience unlike that provided by any other war documentary. As a fellow combat veteran, director Brian Iglesias forged a unique connection with the men he interviewed. Time and time again, these men shared stories that they have never told to anyone...not their wives, their children, or their closest friends. Chosin is not the first documentary to give a voice to America's veterans, but the depth of its emotional access is unlike anything previously brought to the screen. —Anton Sattler "
PS to this post. If I remember correctly, Veterans that visit South Korea are greeted when they get off the plane by a saluting South Korean General.

Happy Memorial Day to all. God bless all of our Veterans and all of our loved ones that have gone before us.

Last edited:

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
James is still alive at 93 years old and but was out when I stopped by
May we all be so lucky, nice story. My brother in law died recently. he taught my about boats, fishing and camping. Was the nicest most patient man i ever knew. Never knew it till he died but he was in the "Attack to the rear" that was the chosin reservoir.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
nagant,
Thanks for reminding me of the phrase 'attack to the rear'. It was Major General O. P. Smith, Commander of the 1st Marine Division, who gave that 'order'. When the time came to fight their way out and return to the sea at the port of Hungnam, General Smith refused to call the action a retreat, referring to it instead as an “attack to the rear.”

I can't imagine fighting my way to safety for miles in temps that reached 20 below zero--while the enemy was constantly shooting from the hills. And when they stopped to eat, their C-rations may have been frozen.
Don in SoCal.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kudos all around " pa-dirt_nc-sand " . Great find & story.
For you, and all others here that appear to be interested,
there is a excellent documentary about The Chosin Reservoir Battle. Well worth watching. Complete with interviews of those who fought there. First person accounts. Very touching. Extremely harsh conditions.
At the very end of the documentary, they show how young children are taught in grade school about the battles & the sacrifices made by American soldiers to save Seoul & their country from being over-run by the Communists. The Americans saved South Korea.
The docu shows how grateful to this day the South Koreans are. They will pay all expenses for any Korean War vet who chooses to visit their country. Also, it is mandatory that school children tend to the graves of fallen Americans that are buried in the cemeteries there on a daily basis.
This is an IMDB link to the documentary. I highly recommend it if you can find it on cable or get a hold of a DVD.
LINK: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1561406/

Storyline

"In the winter of 1950, 15,000 U.S. Soldiers and Marines were surrounded and trapped by an overwhelming force of communist Chinese soldiers in the frozen mountains of North Korea. Facing impossible odds, the men fought 78 miles to freedom and saved the lives of 98,000 civilian refugees. Chosin is the first-ever documentary on the Chosin Reservoir Campaign. Presented in full, immersive HD, the stories of our veterans are supplemented with rare black and white and color archival footage gathered from hundreds of hours of research. After 60 years of silence, the survivors of the campaign take us on an emotional and heart-pounding journey through one of the most savage battles in American history. These first-hand accounts, combined with footage never before seen by most Americans, create a visceral, emotionally charged experience unlike that provided by any other war documentary. As a fellow combat veteran, director Brian Iglesias forged a unique connection with the men he interviewed. Time and time again, these men shared stories that they have never told to anyone...not their wives, their children, or their closest friends. Chosin is not the first documentary to give a voice to America's veterans, but the depth of its emotional access is unlike anything previously brought to the screen. —Anton Sattler "
PS to this post. If I remember correctly, Veterans that visit South Korea are greeted when they get off the plane by a saluting South Korean General.

Happy Memorial Day to all. God bless all of our Veterans and all of our loved ones that have gone before us.
I watched a PBS documentary movie this week on the Chosin Reservoir Battle, unbelievably terrible conditions and bravery. Don, thanks for all of your ID’s and context that you bring to Tnet!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread