Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this is a neighbors yard, it was not too far from an Army of Occupation medal from WWII that I also found. Gave both to my neighbor for they were her fathers, which made her ecstatic to have them, Not sure if this is military or not...looks like a fire brigade motto or something in the upper right hand corner, her Dad was also a firefighter after getting out of the Army, not sure if he had fire training in the military or not. Any ideas?

Attachments

• unknown medal.JPG
    unknown medal.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 395
  • unknown medal.JPG
    unknown medal.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 397

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No sign of a maltese cross on that piece but the fireman's axe would lead me to believe that it is fire brigade related...

Upvote 0

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
That’s right, it's the unit crest for 8th Infantry Regiment:

http://www.combatindex.com/insignia/army/8_infantry_regiment.html
8_infantry_regiment.gif

I hope you guys don't mind me posting the Infantry Pome

Posted by Dwayne Crump
Nov 12 2003 12:33:40:000AM

Infantry "I Am The Infantry"I am the Infantry--Queen of Battle! For two centuries I have kept our Nation safe, Purchasing freedom with my blood. To tyrants, I am the day of reckoning; to the oppressed, the hope for the future. Where the fighting is thick, there am I?I am the Infantry! FOLLOW ME!I was there from the beginning, meeting the enemy face to face, will to will. My bleeding feet stained the snow at Valley Forge; my frozen hands pulled Washington across the Delaware. At Yorktown, the sunlight glinted from the sword and I, begrimed?Saw a Nation born. Hardship?And glory I have known. At New Orleans, I fought beyond the hostile hour, showed the fury of my long rifle?and came of age. I am the Infantry! FOLLOW ME!Westward I pushed with wagon trains?moved an empire across the plains?extended freedom's borders and tamed the wild frontier. I am the Infantry! FOLLOW ME!I was with Scott at Vera Cruz?hunted the guerilla in the mountain passes?and scaled the high plateau. The fighting was done when I ended my march many miles from the old Alamo. From Bull Run to Appomattox, I fought and bled. Both Blue and Gray were my colors then. Two masters I served and united them strong?proved that this nation could right a wrong?and long endure. I am the Infantry! FOLLOW ME!I led the charge up San Juan Hill?scaled the walls of old Tientsin?and stalked the Moro in the steaming jungle still?always the vanguard, I am the Infantry!At Chateau-Thierry, first over the top, then I stood like a rock on the Marne. It was I who cracked the Hindenburg Line?in the Argonne, I broke the Kaiser's spine?and didn't come back 'till it was "over, over there." I am the Infantry! FOLLOW ME!A generation older at Bataan, I briefly bowed, but then I vowed to return. Assaulted the African shore?learned my lesson the hard way in the desert sands?pressed my buttons into the beach at Anzio?and bounced into Rome with determination and resolve. I am the Infantry!The English channel, stout beach defenses and the hedgerows could not hold me?I broke out at St. Lo, unbent the Bulge?vaulted the Rhine?and swarmed the Heartland. Hitler's dream and the Third Reich were dead.In the Pacific, from island to island?hit the beaches and chopped through swamp and jungle?I set the Rising Sun. I am the Infantry!In Korea, I gathered my strength around Pusan?swept across the frozen Han?outflanked the Reds at Inchon?and marched to the Yalu. FOLLOW ME!In Vietnam, while others turned aside, I fought the longest fight, from the Central Highlands to the South China Sea I patrolled the jungle, the paddies and the sky in the bitter test that belongs to the Infantry. FOLLOW ME!Around the world, I stand?ever forward. Over Lebanon's sands, my rifle steady aimed?and calm returned. At Berlin's gates, I scorned the Wall of Shame. I spanned the Caribbean in freedom's cause, answered humanity's call. I trod the streets of Santo Domingo to protect the innocent. In Grenada, I jumped at Salinas, and proclaimed freedom for all. My arms set a Panamanian dictator to flight and once more raised democracy's flag. In the Persian Gulf, I drew the line in the desert, called the tyrant's bluff and restored right and freedom in 100 hours. Duty called, I answered. I am the Infantry! FOLLOW ME!My bayonet?on the wings of power? keeps the peace worldwide. And despots, falsely garbed in freedom's mantle, falter?hide. My ally in the paddies and the forest?I teach, I aid, I lead. FOLLOW ME!Where brave men fight?there fight I. In freedom's cause?I live, I die. From Concord Bridge to Heartbreak Ridge, from the Arctic to the Mekong, to the Caribbean?the Queen of Battle! Always ready?then, now, and forever. I am the Infantry! FOLLOW ME!

Posted by Dwayne Crump
Nov 12 2003 12:33:40:000AM

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mainedigger

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ant....thanks for that, I appreciate it immensely!!! I told my neighbor I would post it on here and that with all the knowledgeable people on here I would more than likely have an answer for her in the morning, and you failed me not...:):) Her Dad was in the Army and was stationed here on the island in WWII and ended staying here after he got out, I gave both medals to her (found them awhile ago and just thought of getting a pic of them today) and she was more than delighted, which thrilled me as much as finding them. Knowing exactly what this one is will make her very happy and I thank you for her. Thanks again, and it amazes me still how quick someone on here can identify things, you guys are amazing!!!

Upvote 0

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, this is the unit crest for the 8th Infantry Regiment. I served in the Army in the 8th Infantry in Viet Nam. It was part of the 4th Infantry Division. The crest was to be worn on the dress uniform on top of each shoulder of the jacket.

Huntin' 59er

Upvote 0

papa

Sep 21, 2006
366th Combat Support, 70 -72 6498th Combat Support 72 - 73 Viet- Nam
SAC, TAC, and many many more.

Upvote 0

papa

Sep 21, 2006
Snorton750, Thank You,In 33 years,that's the second time I've been told that,both times by a veteran.

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Papa, WELCOME HOME! I'm not a veteran, but honor and respect your duty (amongst the others here)!

Upvote 0

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Papa, Welcome Home and Thanks for serving! from a brother 'Nam veteran. 1966 and 1967, 4th Infantry Division.

Huntin' 59er

Upvote 0

papa

Sep 21, 2006
Thanks Guys, After all these years,it's still nice to know someone appreciates you.

Huntin'59er, A "WELCOME BACK and JOB WELL DONE" to you.

70 -73 366 & 6498 Combat, last base, Da- Nang AFB, Viet Nam.

Upvote 0

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Realde Tayo, thanks for your service to our country. All who have served and are now serving deserve our thanks and gratitude for their sacrifices. Also, thanks Papa for your kind words.

Huntin' 59er

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RealdeTayopa said:
Sheesh kiddies ,no-one welcomed me home or said "get out of here and go win the war" sniff

Guadalcanal Campaign Aug. 11 th 1942.

Tropical Tramp
Is that where you've been.. ???....hehe....Belated "Thank You and Welcome back"

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mainedigger

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see so many Vets on this site and am glad the medals brought a good response from Vets....ALL vets deserve our gratitude and thanks for a job well done, no matter where and when they served...They protected and served with pride and honor so we can be here today enjoying our freedom. Sometimes it seems just saying thank you is not quite enough. I nevedr served, bad knees, but am the son of a Marine and I NEVER take for granted the freedom our vets have given and maintained for us!!!!!!

Upvote 0

papa

Sep 21, 2006
Realde Tayope, I Sorry :) WELCOME BACK !! By the way,did you happen to know of T-Sgt from Virginia then ? He used to be a blacksmith.

Any Volunteers, I need truck drivers ? (IF you can drive a truck,a wheelborrow will be breeze) ;D ;D

Upvote 0

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
I'm glad I could help.

I would like to thank everyone for their service too.

7th Infantry 2nd BN 17th Infantry Division (1974-1977). 11-b-10 Infantryman.
DOD Civilia: 1980 to present. Currently a DOD Marine Civilian, errrrrrrrrrr.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions