What's new

military or civilian ?

ticm

Silver Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2007
Messages
3,243
Reaction score
792
Golden Thread
0
Location
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
I dug this pin up and it appears to be silver. There are no markings on it to indicate that it is. Does anybody know if this is a military type of pin. I cleaned it up after being dug with soap and water.
 

Attachments

  • CIMG0279.webp
    CIMG0279.webp
    41.4 KB · Views: 310
  • CIMG0280.webp
    CIMG0280.webp
    38.1 KB · Views: 288
Very nice. It looks like an Infantry officers cap insignia, maybe CW era. It needs research but maybe will point you in the right direction.
 
Upvote 0
These are the ones they show in my book. "note" these are union i think.
 

Attachments

  • P7180159.webp
    P7180159.webp
    18.2 KB · Views: 274
  • P7180160.webp
    P7180160.webp
    41.2 KB · Views: 283
  • P7180161.webp
    P7180161.webp
    30 KB · Views: 283
Upvote 0
Thanks trader. I am just guessing no time today to search.
 
Upvote 0
traderoftreasure said:
These are the ones they show in my book. "note" these are union i think.

From those pics. I would not make a call on it being military. All of them show a open horn and none of them are silver. I dug this from a a yard with a house that was built in the early 1800's
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a Silver Military Hat Pin to me :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
military hat pin --infantry --of the type used in the CW by union forces --- being silver most likely a officers (* might be a custom made one by a jeweler -- made to look like standard issue one, but in silver.)
 
Upvote 0
Cap badge is an excellent guess, but I have no idea about age. 19th c. is about all I could safely say.
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
I feel fairly certain that's military. Cap badge is an excellent guess, but I am puzzled by the two eyelets on the piece. So I'm not entirely sure that's what it is...

The eyelets are decor, you can see where the pin was attached on the reverse
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
BuckleBoy said:
I feel fairly certain that's military. Cap badge is an excellent guess, but I am puzzled by the two eyelets on the piece. So I'm not entirely sure that's what it is...

The eyelets are decor, you can see where the pin was attached on the reverse

I modified my post up above. I saw the pin attachment when I looked again.

Thanks, Cru. :)
 
Upvote 0
ticm said:
traderoftreasure said:
These are the ones they show in my book. "note" these are union i think.

From those pics. I would not make a call on it being military. All of them show a open horn and none of them are silver. I dug this from a a yard with a house that was built in the early 1800's
I dont know what else it could be. I thought your horn was bent.
Maybe it was made by a jeweler and not standard issue like Ivan suggested. hat pin indian war.webp
 
Upvote 0
Well I will call this solved as a military pin. I like this part of the forum. Can get some great info. from you guys. Thanks!!!!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom