Acejeckel

Jul 18, 2009
Just Outside Detroit
Detector(s) used
White's V3I, DFX, M6, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minelab 2.0 Success / Update

I got out this morning to do some testing at a old park by me, the park has a iron patch and crown cap section that is like no other. Perfect spot to test. Lol I only had a short time to test this morning cant wait till tomorrow. The ring is definitely gold just not marked.

I was running Park 1, sensitivity at 24, auto ground balance and F2 @ 6.
I forgot to add this "I ran the equinox open in all metal" while using F2 @ 6

Attachments

• 20190929_094237.jpg
    20190929_094237.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 20190929_094215.jpg
    20190929_094215.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 601
Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice! Did you happen to toggle back to FE and see if it would also pick it up by chance?

OP
OP
Acejeckel

Acejeckel

Jul 18, 2009
Just Outside Detroit
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats interesting. What settings were they both in while comparing?

Stock Park 1 which uses FE6 so in the start of the hunt I switched FE6 to F2 6 and ran the detector open on all metal so I could hear the iron, just to try the update.
When I hit that 12-13 vdi back and forth from all directions I was hearing the nail because i was in all metal, so I clicked all metal off and only heard a 12-13 vdi with a slight bump in the signal.

I then switched from F2 @ 6 to FE 6 and only got a vdi of a jumpy 30-35 falsing iron and could not hear the 12-13.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very interesting report, Acejeckel...

Steve

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stock Park 1 which uses FE6 so in the start of the hunt I switched FE6 to F2 6 and ran the detector open on all metal so I could hear the iron, just to try the update.
When I hit that 12-13 vdi back and forth from all directions I was hearing the nail because i was in all metal, so I clicked all metal off and only heard a 12-13 vdi with a slight bump in the signal.

I then switched from F2 @ 6 to FE 6 and only got a vdi of a jumpy 30-35 falsing iron and could not hear the 12-13.

Excellent testing & comparison. Thanks for taking the time to do that and report in. One question, though... what does the ring "ring" up as by itself? OK, two questions... what kind of iron in that iron area... iron bottlecaps, square nails, sheet iron bits (ugh! That's the worst!)?

OP
OP
Acejeckel

Acejeckel

Jul 18, 2009
Just Outside Detroit
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent testing & comparison. Thanks for taking the time to do that and report in. One question, though... what does the ring "ring" up as by itself? OK, two questions... what kind of iron in that iron area... iron bottlecaps, square nails, sheet iron bits (ugh! That's the worst!)?

The ring by itself rang up 12-13 in the ground and a 13 out of the ground. The iron in the area are square and round nails mixed with iron bottle caps.

I have hunted this same area for many years with many different detectors.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Acejeckel

Acejeckel

Jul 18, 2009
Just Outside Detroit
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went back to the same area I got the ring in on Monday and found this stuff. I spent around 4-5 hours this time.

This area I have given up on many of times because all the false iron and iron bottle caps.

I was still running Park 1, sensitivity @ 25 "just because I can in this area", auto ground balance and F2 @ 6.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though EMI allows you to run sensitivity high, because of the thick iron junk, you might have some success running sensitivity lower to avoid iron overload and see if some shallower non-ferrous pops out of the muck.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The ring by itself rang up 12-13 in the ground and a 13 out of the ground. The iron in the area are square and round nails mixed with iron bottle caps.

I have hunted this same area for many years with many different detectors.
Which is exactly where most rusty bottlecaps used to ring up with pre-update when running on multi-frequency. Sure sounds to me like you can credit this one to the new F2 update!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
excellent videos, congrats on the gold and other finds. you have convinced me to try to update my 600.

OP
OP
Acejeckel

Acejeckel

Jul 18, 2009
Just Outside Detroit
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone try the 6in coil with the update? I'm willing to bet the 6in coil with the update will be awesome in the iron. Kind of wish I still had mine. Looks like I'll be in the market for another. Lol

dickkolacki

Tenderfoot
Dec 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently the F2 update was designed around the 11in coil with Allmetal Horseshoe on. So the 6in coil does not work as well with F2.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently the F2 update was designed around the 11in coil with Allmetal Horseshoe on. So the 6in coil does not work as well with F2.

Too early to come to that conclusion, frankly. 6 inch is a false monster in 1.75, if 2.0 and F2 quiets it down some, that is probably a win.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks, but stopped watching as it became apparent as soon the host was NOT using all metal as an interrogator (very important to primarily use iron audio, not solely visual ID as a "tell") as recommended by ML so you can hear the accompanying iron grunt, plus the tid was clearly highly variable as he adjusted F2 which is another clue of probable iron, didn't swing from different angles, and, finally, hard to come to any conclusions due to the limited adjustability of either iron bias FE or F2 parameter associated with the 600 vs. 800. It didn't help that he also was not letting his audience hear the detector audio either.

Also, regardless of coil or Equinox model used, there have been numerous of test videos that show that the new iron bias was primarily designed to more readily ID bottle caps and that the F2 filter still struggled to preclude falsing of nails and other irregularly shaped pieces of iron which was the first target in the vid.

So IMO the video was inconclusive or at the very least perhaps demonstrated that F2 actually DOES help with the 6" coil too.

I'm not surprised as most detector videos are similarly flawed. I need to prove it to myself under actual real world detecting conditions. Thanks for posting it in any event. It was good as stepping through the menu setting keystrokes to aplly the new F2 filter.

Anyway, no filter can work miracles on junk targets and there are other ways to interrogate a target such as going to single frequency (easier to do on the 800 with a dedicated user profile slot where you can instantly shift back and forth), that were not tried in the video. He doesn't realky seem to know the Equinox well enough to get maximum performance independent of whatever coil hee chooses to use.

Last edited:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ring, but the video did not tell me much. OK fella's, here it is. I hunt in Field 2 or Field 1. I think iron bias is at about 2. I haven't really used it, (the iron bias), AM I missing something? IS there a real advantage in using iron bias at 4, 5, 6 etc? or would I be missing good targets, or, am I missing good targets now? I have sometimes pushed all metal mode to "check" a target, and I understand what vferrari was getting at about a single freq. I just wonder if it would be any benefit for me to update at all. I tried the first update, and ended up going back to factory, the second update? maybe. A friend has a 600, and he really likes the update for the backlight dimming down. So, to "Bias" or not to "Bias". That is the question. (Well, for me anyway)

OP
OP
Acejeckel

Acejeckel

Jul 18, 2009
Just Outside Detroit
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMO the updated seems to be working for me in the park I have been testing in, I have been hunting this park for over 20 years, and have used multiple highend detectors from different manufacturers, but I'm telling you nothing can hide from the Equinox. And they keep make it better.

If it weren't for the update to stop them crown caps from sounding so good I would have never found this 1866 Indian head, it came in at a 17-18 same numbers I get on some crown caps and I would have skipped to the next target.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/618160-my-oldest-indian-head-penny.html#post6317830

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread