What's new

Minelab Musketeer XS

bluescorpion

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jun 29, 2011
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Hi All

I just purchased a used Minelab Musketeer XS to get into metal detecting. (Paid $80.00). I know that this is an older machine but just wanted to find out if anyone has used this machine in the past and if so, how did you like the performance?

I'd also like to know if anyone found any gold with this unit.

thanks in advance :icon_thumleft:
 
There are some good videos on youtube on the machine, it seems to be as good as thier high-end models and great at discrimination. Check out the videos and you'll see what I mean.
 
Almost forgot- I seen one that the owner moved the box further back for better balance, and the price you paid for it was great!
 
I've taken this unit out for a test drive and couldn't believe how deep this unit penetrates!! I haven't found anything of major value (just a few regular pennies and dimes), BUT, I have found bottle caps at nearly 12 inches deep! My arm is numb from all the digging.

Do you guys know if this unit can detect gold nuggets? Also, where can I find replacement coils for this detector to go even deeper?

Thanks again.....
 
blue-scorpian, the Muskateer goes deep (like all the minelab coin machines) but lacks any tell-tale sounds/tones. It's more of a beep or no-beep machine. Not that that's a bad thing, mind you, but most people's experience, when having used TID for awhile, tend to get to like it, EVEN when they intend to "dig all" anyhow.

As far as how it will do on gold nuggets in their natural state: No, it will not do good on that at all. It's a coin/relic/jewelry machine, not a prospecting machine. Gold nuggets, as they are found in nature, are rarely bigger than grain of rice-sized. (in fact, one that is the size of a grain of rice, would be a handsome big one for the day :) And any coin machine is not going to be good at targets of the pinhead sized variety. For that, there are specialized super sensitive machines (that ironically, are not good for coin/relics, etc... d/t they're simply "too squirrely" sensitive).
 
Aaaaaahhhhh...... Bummer, as I was hoping to get into some gold prospecting. I saw a fisher goldbug that I was thinking about. Do you guys have any thoughts on that unit?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom