dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine still works great after 2 years and I haven't had a garrett pinpointer last more than a few months without giving me some kind of problem. My AT Propointer lost sensitivity at the tip. It's most sensitive about an inch up the shaft.

fbjr

Apr 13, 2007
Elmira, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030/Minelab e-trac/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Minelab and my dad uses the Garrett. The one big difference is that the Minelab has an adjustable sensitivity where the Garrett does not. They both work fine but being able to adjust the sensitivity has been a nice feature that I use quite frequently. Is it a necessity ? Each individual has their own opinion.

donj

Feb 13, 2011
southwestern, va.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, garretts gti2500, gtp1350 minelab 30 whites coinmaster 3 and a DFX300.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got a brand new pro-find 25 for $126.00 best price I could find.

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've gone through 3 PF-25s, all replaced under warranty... 4th replacement on its way back to me.
All under light use (strictly probing, no dropping or digging with them) they all started falsing. Just had to shut off and back on to reset, or change the sensitivity.
Annoying to say the least.
That being said, I picked up a Garrett Carrot off CL. Very nice unit. A little harder to set, but some very nice features (re-tuning being one of them).
We will see how it survives... shame the season is over.

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The PF25 is a good PP. It just seems to flake out too easily.

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try the ML on a gold nugget. It didn't detect the nuggets I tried but the Garrett did. I was blown away.

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excal2, CTX, Nox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Minelab and my dad uses the Garrett. The one big difference is that the Minelab has an adjustable sensitivity where the Garrett does not. They both work fine but being able to adjust the sensitivity has been a nice feature that I use quite frequently. Is it a necessity ? Each individual has their own opinion.

The garrett carrot has 3 levels of sensitivity plus 3 levels of buzz. I don't know about the previous black version. I've had mine a year and it still works as fine as the day it came out of the box.

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does "flake out" mean?

"Flake Out" means it falses for no apparent reason. It will work fine, I'll set it down to dig some more, and it will start going off with no metal near it, or even worse, it will false while I'm in the hole trying to find a small target. The only solution is to turn it off and back on... and even that's temporary.

Mind you, I do not abuse my gear. but ML has replaced it each time it starts doing it. So I really cannot complain too much.

fbjr

Apr 13, 2007
Elmira, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030/Minelab e-trac/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just looking at videos online of the land or sea pin-pointer. I have never used one but it looks like it out performs some of the bigger name brands and it is actually cheaper. I like my pro find but they are not submersible, the land or sea pp is up to 20 feet. Thinking I might get one of those to try for the coming season.

lucky92

Nov 30, 2017
Jefferson City missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites classic sl, Garrett 350, mx sport, equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had my Garrett for over a year, it does have the ability to adjust the sensitivity, I use it often. I like it enough that I bought another for my fiancé and as a backup for me

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread