Minelab service issues?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had mine close to 2 years now without having to do a thing to it as far as repairs. Oh, I HAVE changed the protective film over the screen once. I can't tell you how many times I've dropped it on the ground and also concrete parking lots and sidewalks. It's been to England 3 times and had to endure the gorillas in baggage claim. It's been in the pounding surf as well as desert heat. If this is supposed to be babied, I would be guilty of child abuse! None of my local detecting buddies have had to send theirs in either, so, in our experience, Equinox seems to be holding up just fine, thank you.....

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Now for a pause in the discussion here.....

I'm too spaced out - beer.... Couple of Steel Reserves = no one up the holler but me & Mom.

I have the CTX, and a modded Excal II through Kellyco during their difficult years = waited a long time for my Excal to come home after several months of modifications.

Everything still works. and they work to my needs, and I LOVE that Excal, period :)

We go through life .........

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the snot out of my detectors and can't break them. I have not run over one with my truck yet, but I came close once.:laughing7:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 800 great machine havent got to use it much I had the AT Pro I had a problem with headphones once and coil another time they shipped them to me with a return label to send them back they shipped the day I called without even having the old parts Great fast service. I havent dealt with Minelab service but hope I dont have to wait as long as the OP if I do need parts.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update: ML sent me the tracking, looks like I will receive my Nox back tomorrow.

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had quite a number of Minelabs over the years.. Sov [still own it in fact], Explorer, excals [plural] I still have my original sword.. and it still performs beautifully.

My excal 11 is one of the original models [made in Ireland]..

and to this day, I have never had an issue with any of the minelabs.. I use a Deus for most things these days due to the exceptional amount of trash I hunt in..[drowned towns]

But I still keep the sov and the excals for other purposes.. And they serve me well.. Perhaps the quality control in Malaysia is not up to the Aussie or Irish standards. I do know of a few

folks who have had issues with the nox; and a few who have not.. perhaps it is the luck of the draw... But one would think that with the number of complaints , perhaps Minelab might think of extending the warranties.

Micheal

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I think luck of the draw is close to reality. The ones you don't hear about are working just fine. PA-dirt, good to hear it's coming back now. Stinks when your primary machine breaks. Doesn't matter which one it is. Now I just need someone to go with...

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1579202533.567807.jpg
Got out for a quick lunch hunt to try out the replacement gear. It’s uploaded with the most recent software and sounded a bit different. Did not seem to be able to “force a false hightone” like I could before. I got the occasional high tone VDI In the iron areas, but they were fleeting and not repeating. Did not dig any falsing iron, and was surprised when these 2 targets appeared in areas I had swung many times before. Looking forward to taking my “new” machine to a couple of my old hot spots!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The only problem I’ve had with my Nox is that I don’t use it enough. First release issue and has been underwater, no leaks and no shaft wobble? Go figure!

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMO, what you pay for in an Equinox resides in the control housing. The machine flat out performs....but, is lacking where Minelab perhaps thought they could skimp?

This machine got many people into the Multi frequency world that would probably still be swinging Ace 400's ect. I'm not defending....just simply stating that the Equinox seems almost like a Vanquish before the Vanquish. Sorta, kinda.

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pa-dirt, your lucky you can detect at all this time of year, the dirt here has been under 18+ inches of snow since Thanksgiving. I bought my 800 in October so I’ve only used it maybe 5 times, but those were 5 of the funnest days I’ve ever spent with a detector. Come on Spring!!!
Glad you finally got your machine back, looks like it’s performing well.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im just glad I'm still here in the garden and I'm able to go detecting.

When people ask me how I'm doing I tell them "good, I'm still on the top side of the grass".

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When people ask me how I'm doing I tell them "good, I'm still on the top side of the grass".

Yup, I'd rather be mowing the grass, than fertilizing it! :laughing7:

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
My concern is not an occasional need for repair but is if that repair is required after warranty expiration. If it is true that the control unit cannot be repaired but must be replaced. A simple solder joint will cost the price of a new control unit?
Let's hope not.

geo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread