Minelab vs Fisher

Haoleman

Aug 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Ok so now that I am thoroughly confused but leaning toward a Minelab Excaliber, could some of you who have used the Fisher 1280X and Minelab Excaliber 800/1000 please tell me the difference in performance you have experienced and why (I like techie stuff) and ease of operation/learning curve from one to the other. Also, which one would you get since they are both the same price as to coil size.

Thanks,
Terry

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If I'm not mistaken, the 1280x is a silent search machine. That drives me crazy, so I'd go with the Excaliber. This is especially true if you're intending to use it for scuba. The underwater world is noisy (bubbles when exhaling), so I found myself holding my breath (a scuba no-no) to hear the quick "beeps" of the 1280x. But the Excal has a long drawn out boooonngg which you can't miss even if you tried to :)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me wade into this. Pun intended. 1280-X used to be top dog, but it isn't for everywhere as it has a set ground balance, one freq, no ID tones, only a third of the depth of the Excal and no iron mask feature. I didn't like it for diving in saltwater, but it was fine in fresh. Both can be taken deeper than most can dive.

Then along came the Excal with iron mask, 17 frequencies that won't ever need to ever be ground balanced, ID tones and enough volume to hear underwater with a wetsuit hood on your skull. With Iron Mask you will null out on a piece of iron and still report on a gold ring or coin under the iron unlike the 1280 which will null on the iron with enough disc. and also miss the ring underneath. Excal has a threshold so you can tell when the sound drops out or increases unlike the 1280 which is a silent search and only responds to targets above the disc. setting.

As for price new, the 1280 with either coil is cheaper with the Excal with either coil running about $1,095.00 new and well worth it in my water world.

OP
OP
H

Haoleman

Aug 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Now that's the type of info I like to hear!!! Great explainations guys. Thanks

OP
OP
H

Haoleman

Aug 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
One more add on to this. Since both coil sizes are available at the same price, which one would you get and why?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since it is a water detector and the coil is hardwired into the unit, go with the larger coil for covering more area under the coil per sweep and more depth. You won't have to overlap as much with the Excal either because of the Double D coil that has a wider footprint at the bottom of the field.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an Article that made up my mind.
and
Made me choose Minelab.

!.jpg

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
haoleman, if the area you're intending to hunt is strewn with trash, nails, etc... then go with the smaller coil. But if not (as most beaches are not), then go with the bigger coil. For the power-house that it is, even the big coil gives a fair degree of target separation, if you swing it slow, wiggle it, check at different angles, etc....

Sandman, I think you are mistaken about the iron mask. It won't allow you too see through, or under, iron. I mean, sure, if the nail is small enough, you could probably get a coin to bleed through. But generally, an Excal will mask targets, just like any other discriminator. Try putting a healthy nail over a coin, and you will see that you get the nail sound (or a sound you'd have passed anyhow), not a coin sound. Yes, they have good separation (the ability to pick one out when it's close to another), but not see through.

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
I, too, had to do resurch when I bought my water detector. I bought the Fisher, my mistake. I still use it at the lakes but I'm not happy with it. >:( Be thankful you asked before you bought one.....HH and keep it swinging.

Desertfox

OP
OP
H

Haoleman

Aug 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Last question. Will it perform equally as well on dry land and dry sand?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all I can say is I only hunt land with my Sovereign.
and am happy with it.

The Excalibur is a waterproof Sovereign.

or is it ;

the Sovereign an Excalibur without a rain Coat ?

I believe the Excalibur is heavier though.

OP
OP
H

Haoleman

Aug 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Thanks for all the help. Now if my eBay bike sells I'm making the call :D!!

Terry

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
jeff of pa said:
all I can say is I only hunt land with my Sovereign.
and am happy with it.

The Excalibur is a waterproof Sovereign.

or is it ;

the Sovereign an Excalibur without a rain Coat ?

I believe the Excalibur is heavier though.

I keep hearing this but it's not true, they are both very diffrent machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread