What's new

Minelab X-Terra 705 Question

DJWEHAGE

Hero Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2012
Messages
530
Reaction score
1,132
Golden Thread
0
Location
Aberdeen, MD
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Has anyone had any experience with the X-Terra 705? I've been looking for a good new land detector and I haven't used a Minelab before. I have extensive experience with White's and Fisher but have narrowed my search to the 705. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you,

Dave
 
Ive owned an XLT, F2, F70, AT Pro, Cortes, and Golden Umax, in addition to my Xterra. I've had the Xterra for four years and it is my favorite land detector. Nice and light, good Target ID and most important for me, great sound ID. Its easy to start using as a turn on and go machine, but has lots of advanced features for the more advanced hunters needs. Now having said all that, I don't think it's depth is equal to a Etrac or the 3030 and probably a few others, but amongst light weight detectors it is the best.
 
Last edited:
I have the Xterra 70 and it is the best machine I have owned to this point.Gotta love the versatility of hunting in 3 different frequencies.
 
Has anyone had any experience with the X-Terra 705? I've been looking for a good new land detector and I haven't used a Minelab before. I have extensive experience with White's and Fisher but have narrowed my search to the 705. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you,

Dave
YES, I have the 705! I love it it was my first detector it was a bit overwhelming at for me at first, You can tweak the 4 preset programs on the 705 and customize them anyway you want, AND the detector saves your settings until you change them! Or you can detect in the all metal mode. The automatic ground balance is an awesome feature, and you can reset any program you tweaked and OR you can reset to factory settings anytime you want so you can't hurt nothing by playing with it. I love that the standard coil is waterproof so you can detect river and streams or beaches. I really like it a lot!

I hope this helps,
Cindy
 
I thank you guys for the kind responses. Consider the 705 bought!!!:icon_cheers:
 
Keep us posted after you get it.:icon_thumright:
 
YES, I have the 705! I love it it was my first detector it was a bit overwhelming at for me at first, You can tweak the 4 preset programs on the 705 and customize them anyway you want, AND the detector saves your settings until you change them! Or you can detect in the all metal mode. The automatic ground balance is an awesome feature, and you can reset any program you tweaked and OR you can reset to factory settings anytime you want so you can't hurt nothing by playing with it. I love that the standard coil is waterproof so you can detect river and streams or beaches. I really like it a lot!

I hope this helps,
Cindy


Very good points!:thumbsup:
 
Last edited:
I thank you guys for the kind responses. Consider the 705 bought!!!:icon_cheers:

Just in case your not convienced, I dug this out of a 2 foot plus hole, with a strong singnal and no headphones: Now all that is left is to figure out what the heck it is! LOL DSCN2436.webp DSCN2437.webp DSCN2438.webp
 
Wow! Can't wait until it gets here!
 
I took my 705 out for the first time yesterday at a grade school. I'm new at this, and looked it :laughing7:. I had my manual out, and some cheat cards that I made and fumble around a bit for around and hour and a half. I detected in all metal mode. I found $.30 in clad, some foil, 2 pull tabs, a pen, 2 bottle caps, 1 aluminum can top, and some other twisted thin metal that I don't know what it is. I'm going out today with a gentleman from the local detecting club, so yesterday I just wanted to get familiar with it a bit. When the detector said there was something there, it was there. I was amazed however, at how hard it was to dig the plugs in the lawn. I guess I thought the Lesche would make it easier. The U-tube videos make it look so easy. My hands were sore after about the third hole. Went out and bought some gloves afterwords for today's hunt.
What a kick though, I had so much fun. Good luck with your 705. So far am liking mine very much.
~C~
 
I took my 705 out for the first time yesterday at a grade school. I'm new at this, and looked it :laughing7:. I had my manual out, and some cheat cards that I made and fumble around a bit for around and hour and a half. I detected in all metal mode. I found $.30 in clad, some foil, 2 pull tabs, a pen, 2 bottle caps, 1 aluminum can top, and some other twisted thin metal that I don't know what it is. I'm going out today with a gentleman from the local detecting club, so yesterday I just wanted to get familiar with it a bit. When the detector said there was something there, it was there. I was amazed however, at how hard it was to dig the plugs in the lawn. I guess I thought the Lesche would make it easier. The U-tube videos make it look so easy. My hands were sore after about the third hole. Went out and bought some gloves afterwords for today's hunt.
What a kick though, I had so much fun. Good luck with your 705. So far am liking mine very much.
~C~

I'm glad you had fun! Gloves are a must! Hard ground can be difficult to plug. Make sure you use a towel or something to put dug dirt on. You want to leave the area better then you found it! Take all trash with you. HH and thanks for the response.
 
Wow! Can't wait until it gets here!
You won't be sorry. It's the most under rated machine out there, and capable of doing things that even higher end machines can't do. I do have to disagree with SusanMn though. I have both a 705 and an Explorer SE, and the 705 finds stuff just as deep as the SE with equivalent size coils.

If you haven't already, while you're waiting for it to arrive, go to the Minelab website and sign up. Then go to the MEMBERS area and download Randy Horton's FREE E-book "Understanding Your Xterra". After that, go to the TREASURE TALK area and track down Randy's four part blog article(s) "Which Xterra Coil Is Best For Me".
 
I took my 705 out for the first time yesterday at a grade school. I'm new at this, and looked it :laughing7:. I had my manual out, and some cheat cards that I made and fumble around a bit for around and hour and a half. I detected in all metal mode. I found $.30 in clad, some foil, 2 pull tabs, a pen, 2 bottle caps, 1 aluminum can top, and some other twisted thin metal that I don't know what it is. I'm going out today with a gentleman from the local detecting club, so yesterday I just wanted to get familiar with it a bit. When the detector said there was something there, it was there. I was amazed however, at how hard it was to dig the plugs in the lawn. I guess I thought the Lesche would make it easier. The U-tube videos make it look so easy. My hands were sore after about the third hole. Went out and bought some gloves afterwords for today's hunt.
What a kick though, I had so much fun. Good luck with your 705. So far am liking mine very much.
~C~
Carla, I thought I'd show you what I dig with - you don't need to get down on your knees nada kick with your foot and it will go through the toughest soil.

Amazon.com: Spear & Jackson R707 County 12 Inch Long Handle Trowel: Patio, Lawn & Garden
 
Carla, I thought I'd show you what I dig with - you don't need to get down on your knees nada kick with your foot and it will go through the toughest soil.

Amazon.com: Spear & Jackson R707 County 12 Inch Long Handle Trowel: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Susan,
Thank you for sharing. I may look into purchasing one of those. Had better luck with my hands today thanks to the gloves, but still found some of the digging difficult sometimes.
Still had a ton of fun though.:happysmiley:
~C~
 
You won't be sorry. It's the most under rated machine out there, and capable of doing things that even higher end machines can't do. I do have to disagree with SusanMn though. I have both a 705 and an Explorer SE, and the 705 finds stuff just as deep as the SE with equivalent size coils.

If you haven't already, while you're waiting for it to arrive, go to the Minelab website and sign up. Then go to the MEMBERS area and download Randy Horton's FREE E-book "Understanding Your Xterra". After that, go to the TREASURE TALK area and track down Randy's four part blog article(s) "Which Xterra Coil Is Best For Me".

Will do. Thanks for the info!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom