Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings to all...

I'm fairly new to prospecting but I've always liked rocks and geology and of course... coins and gold.

I have an opportunity to buy a Minelabs Sovereign GT at a decent price.

Does anyone use this metal detector for prospecting for gold? Is t any good for locating gold?
How do you find the product overall :)?

Any replies would be appreciated :)

Have a nice day,

Gio

Upvote 0
Hello,

I'm just negociating a five months old GT. Gathered some infos on the unit, suits my needs as a beach hunter.

On their new site, http://www.minelab.com/emea/consumer, Minelab consider the Sov GT, with its grouns balanced (accu track) all metal mode, as a gold detector too, though I read somewhere that it would not be able to detect the tiniest flakes.

That makes this unit a great all rounder. You might want to complement it with some specialty coils, like a smaller one.

HH

Thank you my Belgian friend!!

I'll keep that in mind today... while I consider purchasing the unit.

There is alot of history in this part of Canada I am in... and it would be great for coin and relic hunting, Id just like to kill two birds with one stone if I can :)

Well I took your advice, and read a few more reviews...

I found a deadly deal on the Xterra 70 at Kelly...

499$!!

It's ordered, now I just need to sort out the shipping. Can't wait to get out and learn how to use it :P

Yes, the 70 is a much better choice for nugget hunting. You will need to get the 18.75 kHz coil to optimize your chances of finding small nuggets.

good stuff man!

I should order that too then, why not! :)

Anything to increase my chances of finding some gold before the winter weather kicks in...

No. The Sovereign was not designed for nuggets/prospecting. Most nuggets found in nature (as you know) rarely exceed grain-of-rice sized. The Sovereign is a coin/relic machine, not a nugget machine. The innards of each type of machine are designed from the ground up for their venue. So for example, as sensitive as some nugget machines are (to hear a single staple at depth, etc...), yet they aren't necessarily deep on coin sized targets. And while coin/relic machines may be great on coin-sized targets at depth, they can not pick up a BB sized item. It's just the design and purpose of each usage. There are a few cross-over machines (which will do so-so in each arena), but the Sovereign is not one of them. It is strictly a coin/relic machine. It will find gold, but not grain-of-rice sized stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back