Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings to all...

I'm fairly new to prospecting but I've always liked rocks and geology and of course... coins and gold.

I have an opportunity to buy a Minelabs Sovereign GT at a decent price.

Does anyone use this metal detector for prospecting for gold? Is t any good for locating gold?
How do you find the product overall :)?

Any replies would be appreciated :)

Have a nice day,

Gio

Upvote 0

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello,

I'm just negociating a five months old GT. Gathered some infos on the unit, suits my needs as a beach hunter.

On their new site, http://www.minelab.com/emea/consumer, Minelab consider the Sov GT, with its grouns balanced (accu track) all metal mode, as a gold detector too, though I read somewhere that it would not be able to detect the tiniest flakes.

That makes this unit a great all rounder. You might want to complement it with some specialty coils, like a smaller one.

HH

OP
OP
GioTheGreek

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you my Belgian friend!!

I'll keep that in mind today... while I consider purchasing the unit.

There is alot of history in this part of Canada I am in... and it would be great for coin and relic hunting, Id just like to kill two birds with one stone if I can :)

OP
OP
GioTheGreek

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I took your advice, and read a few more reviews...

I found a deadly deal on the Xterra 70 at Kelly...

499$!!

It's ordered, now I just need to sort out the shipping. Can't wait to get out and learn how to use it :P

gary in idaho

May 7, 2008
Yes, the 70 is a much better choice for nugget hunting. You will need to get the 18.75 kHz coil to optimize your chances of finding small nuggets.

OP
OP
GioTheGreek

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
good stuff man!

I should order that too then, why not! :)

Anything to increase my chances of finding some gold before the winter weather kicks in...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
No. The Sovereign was not designed for nuggets/prospecting. Most nuggets found in nature (as you know) rarely exceed grain-of-rice sized. The Sovereign is a coin/relic machine, not a nugget machine. The innards of each type of machine are designed from the ground up for their venue. So for example, as sensitive as some nugget machines are (to hear a single staple at depth, etc...), yet they aren't necessarily deep on coin sized targets. And while coin/relic machines may be great on coin-sized targets at depth, they can not pick up a BB sized item. It's just the design and purpose of each usage. There are a few cross-over machines (which will do so-so in each arena), but the Sovereign is not one of them. It is strictly a coin/relic machine. It will find gold, but not grain-of-rice sized stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread