Mission Accomplished Hit the 5000 Coin Mark

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
I left the house before daylight this morning on a mission to hit my 5000 coin mark. I had a tot lot picked out to start with in a high class neighborhood, that I was pretty sure no one had ever hit. I had visions of coins and jewelry dancing in my head. As soon as it was barely light enough to see, I hit the swing part of the play area. I was right. I was digging coins right and left, there were targets everywhere. I hadn't been there 10 minutes when this guy pulls up and ask what I am doing. I tell him I'm looking for a lost ring for this lady. If asked if "Lady X" lived in that neighborhood, to which I replied no, she was visiting friends in the neighborhood when she lost it. He then informed me that I was in a private park, he was head of the neighborhood association, and I wasn't allowed to be there. Fine, let their kids play in trash, which there was a lot of, I packed up my toys and went to another place I knew. By the time it was getting too hot to hunt I knew I had completed my mission.
WRONG! when I got to the house and counted, I was 23 coins short. Well I said, that should be a cinch this evening when it cools down. WRONG! I headed out about 5:30 to another place I knew. Coins were far and few between. Just about dark I thought I had more than made my quota. I go to the truck, put up my gear, and count my coins. ONE COIN SHORT! I had counted a token as a coin by accident. Back out comes all the gear to find that ONE elusive coin. I turn on the detector, ground balance, and BAM! Right at the back of my truck I get a penny signal, which is good because it is dark now. I dig down and find not one, but two pennies on top of each other. My day was done! It was one of the hardest hunts I have had in a long time, probably because I wanted it so much. With a smile on my face I was off to get a Slurpee and head to the house. Not only did I hit my goal, I went over by 1 coin. The totals are:
QUARTERS: 706 14%
DIMES: 1054 21%
NICKELS: 379 8%
PENNIES: 2853 57%
DOLLAR COINS: 8
For a total of 5001 coins with a face value of $337.88
Price per coin average value is 6.7 cents
Mission accomplished, I'm sleeping in tomorrow morning.

Attachments

• MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 564
Upvote 0

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Congrats Dave. You and Gregg are eventually going to somehow dent the economy in your states digging out all those coins. Dig on bro.

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your milestone! You made me curious about my own totals, so I checked and found out I hit the same milestone just yesterday..our dollar totals are within $20.

I know how hard it was for me to get there, so I know it took lots of time, patience and endurance. Good luck finding more this year.

Nat

OP
OP
piggman1

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Natman said:
Congrats on your milestone! You made me curious about my own totals, so I checked and found out I hit the same milestone just yesterday..our dollar totals are within $20.

I know how hard it was for me to get there, so I know it took lots of time, patience and endurance. Good luck finding more this year.

Nat

Within $20.00, that's amazing! Good luck to ya! Congrats on hitting the 5000 mark, you earned every penny.

R

RUDY2003

YOO HOO!!!
Way to dig piggy!!!!
Great bunch of had dug coins.....

Keep safe...

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job piggman. Thats alot of coins. I just cracked the 1000 plateau last week. I was laid up until halfway through may with ankle surgery though. I'm trying to catch up. Keep up the good work. HH Evo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
WTG buddy, congrats on breaking 5K!! Outstanding!
I am one good hunt behind you so maybe I'll get there this weekend too.
Sorry you got the boot but that's the breaks I guess.
Best of luck on your next outing!

Smiles!
BDoo

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
bedpanmoneyman said:
WTG piggman. I just started this hobby in April this year and I'm almost to 600 coins, but amazingly, our percentages are nearly identical:

quarters 14.6%
dimes 22.8%
nickels 8.5%
pennies 53.8%

I guess the people who live in Texas and Ohio have similar losing patterns :)

BPMM

The percentages do seem to run close for most who dig everything...

Here are mine>based on 6011 coins for 2007
Quarters 14%
dimes 23%
Nickels 7%
Pennies 56%
dollar coins-2

Also my per coin value is identical ...6.7 Monte pointed this out to me on the findmall forum how over time these things level out...found that very interesting and then stopped worrying about finding so many pennies...

Congratulations on the 5000!

OP
OP
piggman1

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
[/quote] DFX Ggegg

The percentages do seem to run close for most who dig everything...

Here are mine>based on 6011 coins for 2007
Quarters 14%
dimes 23%
Nickels 7%
Pennies 56%
dollar coins-2

Also my per coin value is identical ...6.7 Monte pointed this out to me on the findmall forum how over time these things level out...found that very interesting and then stopped worrying about finding so many pennies...

Congratulations on the 5000!
[/quote]

Yea, I normally discrinate out the zinc pennies and only get the copper ones, but to hit my goal I started picking up the zinc again. That's why there are so many pennies in my last few post. I seperate out the copper from the zinc into seperate coffee cans. Copper is almost $3.00 per pound and 155 pennies make up a pound. I know you can't sell them as scrap, but there are ways around that, too.

OP
OP
piggman1

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
I keep 1981 and below. They started the zinc midway in 1982, some are zinc and some are copper.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Lets be honest....you are right to rack up big numbers pennies play a major part.... I had a ton of pennies in my last hunt too. In some parks I go...they are like litter...seriously I can see them all over...especailly around trees. I had a park last week where I tried to hunt around them...between them and the trash ...was exhausting! :-[

OP
OP
piggman1

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Zinc pennies just make it a hassel to bend over, dig, and end up finding a half eaten up coin. At least the copper ones still hold their looks, and as I stated before, they are worth more than their face value in copper. Zinc pennies are everywhere and take up too much of my time looking for something that might be worthwhile.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gibbsium said:
WTG Piggman that's awesome. Not even the long arm of the neighborhood association could stop you from your mission. :)

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

That's a bunch a diggin' there PM! :o I'm gonna have to get to the park!

Congrats on making that goal! Nana ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread