What's new

Modern coin advice

The_Griffyn

Full Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2010
Messages
100
Reaction score
14
Golden Thread
0
Location
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Minelab SDC 2300, Minelab GM 1000
Hey all. I'm new around here and had a question that I thought might be answered here. I'm a VERY novice collector when it comes to coins and for the most part it amounts to me saving anything that's old, or silver, wheat-backs, or interesting looking to me. I have about 10lbs of coins I've been saving to sort through and was wondering if there are any special dates or coins I should be looking out for from the past 60 years or so besides the obvious stuff?

I know to be on the lookout for 1982 dimes -p, the 1965 silver dime, and a couple others but are there any else you good folks would suggest watching out for?


HH,


Bryan
 
Upvote 0
buy you a 2010 redbook and get to looking......all newbies need a redbook
 
I always look for interesting die variety pennies. I look for the popular doubled die coins and the wide AMs in particular. I find the '98 and '00 wide AMs every once in a while.
Check out this site: http://lincolncentresource.com/
 
silvercop said:
buy you a 2010 redbook and get to looking......all newbies need a redbook
Even a 2009 redbood is a good read. I got a 09 $3 clearance at the book store and sure it isnt on the money but what changes in a year? When you can get a book that is just one year off for the taxes of a new book why not?
 
the 09 would be great. might be able to find one cheap on feebay. numismatics is something that can't be learned over night. i have been collecting since i was 5 years old and i am 42 now. i still have a lot to learn. it's a fun hobby. if you are serious about the hobby i would recommend a subscription to coin world
 
Wide AM?

Belay my question. I found the answer on the site you referenced. I'm such a nub at this stuff. Sure seems time consuming too.
 
silvercop said:
the 09 would be great. might be able to find one cheap on feebay. numismatics is something that can't be learned over night. i have been collecting since i was 5 years old and i am 42 now. i still have a lot to learn. it's a fun hobby. if you are serious about the hobby i would recommend a subscription to coin world
You can go to your local library to learn too there are books and magazines. The magazine you mentioned is offered at our local library. I can even check out magazines from our library but they are at least a month old.
 
Get a redbook! either 09 or 10...id say 10 its more updated for the newer stuff that you might be doing after what you go through!

HH
~Holmes~
 
I am an intermediate level coin collector I would say. But when I decided to really pay more attention to what I got in my change I found this book at Hasting. Perfect for what you are talking about. I like it a lot but I do use my red book more because now I know what I need and what my goals are as a collector and actively try to work towards them. Good luck to you!


TG
 

Attachments

  • strike_it_rich_with_pocket_change_200.webp
    strike_it_rich_with_pocket_change_200.webp
    7.6 KB · Views: 174

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom