What's new

Monday & Tuesday creek finds, lots of pix

hbrown22

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2013
Messages
385
Reaction score
452
Golden Thread
0
Location
north Middle Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Spent the past two evening digging in the creek rock. We haven't hunted this area in a few years and with all the flooding and gravel removal we decided to give it a shot. I normally surface hunt, but it seemed the more I dug, the better it got. I know some of these are scrapers (first group pic) and some needs to go to the rock pile. I tried to take more detailed pix of the ones I liked the best. The second group pic is possible tools and whatnots. If you know what something is, please let me know. If it's nothing, I'll just continue to fill in the rock bed around the pool :)

Group pic #1-all scrapers? Some of these seem really old. The patina on a few on the bottom is really nice. I like the smoothness. Most ischert, not sure what the red\brown is. Jasper?

IMG_8821.webp

This is the second down on the left. Really pretty colored chert when wet. About 4" length, 1 3/4" width. Worked along the edge?

IMG_8824.webp IMG_8826.webp IMG_8827.webp

This one is top row, third from the left. I really like this one for some reason. 2 1/2" length, 1 3/4" width.

IMG_8833.webp IMG_8830.webp

This one is second row, second from left. Base is 2 1/4", top approx. 1", length is 2". Pretty when wet.

IMG_8834.webp IMG_8836.webp

This is second from the bottom on the right. If this is something, it seems pretty old. 2 1/2" length, 1 9/16" width. Not sure what it's made from.

IMG_8837.webp IMG_8838.webp IMG_8839.webp

The start of something? This one is top right. 4 3/4" length, 2 1/4" width.

IMG_8842.webp IMG_8843.webp IMG_8844.webp IMG_8845.webp

This one is second row, third from left. 2 1/2" length, 1 1/2" width (3/4" small end)

IMG_8846.webp IMG_8847.webp

Bottom row, fourth from right. Another one with a nice, smooth, shiny patina. Seems old, may be nothing but still neat. 1 9/16" length, 1 1/4" width.

IMG_8848.webp IMG_8850.webp IMG_8851.webp

Top row, third from right. Wedge shape, approx 1 3/4" x 1 3/4"

IMG_8855.webp IMG_8854.webp

Group Pic of possible tools and other neat things.

IMG_8857.webp

Left, first on middle row. Grooved, but don't know if it's erosion. 3 1/3" length, 2 1/8" width.

IMG_8863.webp IMG_8864.webp IMG_8865.webp IMG_8866.webp

Middle row, second from left. Anything? 3 3/4" length, 1 1/2" width

IMG_8867.webp IMG_8868.webp

Bottom row, middle. Geofact?

IMG_8871.webp IMG_8872.webp IMG_8873.webp IMG_8874.webp

Axe? 4 1/2" across top, 3 1/2" across bottom, 3" tall

IMG_8877.webp IMG_8878.webp IMG_8879.webp IMG_8881.webp

Top right, 3 3/4" length, 3" blade end, 2" other end. First pic is back view.

IMG_8899.webp

Geofact? This is under the big piece on top right. Can't really tell in that pic, but has three holes. One goes all the way through (first pic) the other goes through to the middle hole. Hole is located at the wide section. 1" top diameter, 1 1/2" bottom.

IMG_8893.webp IMG_8894.webp

I have more pix of other items, but I reached my limit for this post. Sorry to post so much!!
 
Upvote 0
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
Very nice hbrown22. Thanks for taking the time to share your finds with us.
 
Allot of pics thats for sure.
The pointy ones could be Awls or punches in the first group shot. (not shown up close).
#2 Scraper
#5 tool or core
#8 tool or core
#10 rock
#11 rock
#12 tool
#15 rock or core
#17 flake tool
#20 reduction piece
#21 gold?
#22 and the rest natural.
Gotta love that creek stain.
All just guesses but its what I see maybe others will say different. Nice hunt you had.
 
Trying to get in as much hunting as I can before Fall term starts (Aug 26). Creek stain is bad right now! The top of everything is black and slimy.
 
Wish #22 was gold! I always tell myself today will be the day I find the piece worth a years salary, lol! I'm still broke!
 
nice finds hbrown. I really like finding scrapers. I think they are pretty neat. I noticed that in one of your posts you said you were located in central tennessee ( I think), near I-65. Are you close to the Kentucky line? I live in Western KY just north of Hopkinsville.
 
We are neighbors (kinda)! Yes, I'm in Springfield, TN, but actually closer to Adairville, KY. Are you going to the artifact show this Saturday in Leitchfield (KY)?
 
Well nice to meet cha neighbor! I have a friend who lives in Springfield. His name is Reynolds Boyd and he lives on 431 towards Adairville. Do you know him? I would really like to go to the show but unfortunately I have to work. I have weekend coverage for the company I work for.
 
Lots of nice secondary edge work on some of those. Big stuff thanks for the veiw.
 
Last edited:
Well nice to meet cha neighbor! I have a friend who lives in Springfield. His name is Reynolds Boyd and he lives on 431 towards Adairville. Do you know him? I would really like to go to the show but unfortunately I have to work. I have weekend coverage for the company I work for.

I don't know him, but he's not to far from me. I'm actually a TN transplant, originally from South Bend, Indiana. There's another show at the Barren Riven State Park the following weekend. We may go, but my in-laws will be visiting from IN, so it depends if they want to or not.
 
nice finds hbrown. I really like finding scrapers. I think they are pretty neat. I noticed that in one of your posts you said you were located in central tennessee ( I think), near I-65. Are you close to the Kentucky line? I live in Western KY just north of Hopkinsville.

Crofton area for me....Nice to know that there is another local hunter here. I don't think the "state board" gets very much attention anymore...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom