jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We do have the decedents of one of the original 3 diggers claiming they did find some treasure in the Money Pit. So currently that is the best evidence that there WAS treasure buried... so unless everyone is calling them liars this search was over years ago...

If it's the 2 or 3 Old ladies, that as Children Each received Treasure Chests,
from There Fathers.

I throw that out as Fathers Being Fathers & Giving Fantasies to their Daughters.

Anyone can Buy a Wooden Box & Fill it with Trinkets.

But can just the right amount of Boxes with equal amounts of Trinkets
last 300 Years in a water filled pit ?

I'm Guessing these Treasure boxes fit Neatly on their Dressers ,
Next to their Hairbrush, Mirrors & Picture of Rudolph Valentino,
and all that was in them was a Brooch & adjustable ring.

sorry I don't believe hundred year old ladies have great (Legit) Memories.
Especially when it comes to Reminiscing about Fathers on a TV Treasure Show

Last edited:

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
This is so counter-productive. To prove or disprove Oak Island, you need to present facts, not theories. The internet is filled with facts about OI. All one has to do is research. But that's a lot of work, isn't it?

Example: Someone said, that they would never bury treasure that far down. Where are your statistics proving that? Where is the hard data besides speculation?

And the inverse: If you are saying they did bury treasure down that far, provide the facts that prove that or even show that something like that has been done before.

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We do have the decedents of one of the original 3 diggers claiming they did find some treasure in the Money Pit. So currently that is the best evidence that there WAS treasure buried... so unless everyone is calling them liars this search was over years ago...

That is not evidence. It is a story.

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct, but your response does not answer the question. Where is the proof that there never was a money pit or drainage tunnels.?

What proof would you need to see to be convinced that there is no one pit nor flood tunnels?

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is treasure found in the ground (If it exists which I do not dispute) That is not proof of a 100ft pit with treasure in it. That was allegedly found 10ft down.

This is not evidence of treasure buried deeper.... It is not evidence of a "Money pit".....

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did they say it was only 10 feet down. I thought it was more like 30 or so. Either way if they did find the treasure they claim, then there is/was a Money Pit. Not sure where it says it has to be 100' deep...

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
The internet is filled with facts about OI.

And many, many more myths, incorrect facts, and downright fabrications. (And cat pictures, but that's not relevant to this conversation.)

All one has to do is research. But that's a lot of work, isn't it?

You're assuming that the skeptics here have not done any research. Counter theory: some (most?) of the skeptics here are skeptics precisely because of their research. They began pulling at the loose threads on the story (take your pick on which version of the story) and turned up problems in the process. They made deep dives on accepted facts and found that they weren't facts at all. They found inconsistencies in dates, names, and locations. They went looking for the forensic evidence involved in the "classic" version of the story and discovered that while these cipher stones and timbers and such were proof that something was there, nobody actually knows where any of those things are, nobody alive has seen them, and no photographs exist of them. When you turn up enough of those facts that are not actually facts, I think that one can be forgiven for beginning to doubt the whole thing.

Example: Someone said, that they would never bury treasure that far down. Where are your statistics proving that? Where is the hard data besides speculation?

Where is the hard data that a treasure is buried that far down? Or that a treasure is there at all?

In the absence of firm data, I rely on logic. Does burying something of worth that deep make sense? As I've said here in the past, one commonality between a treasure buried 100 feet deep and one buried 10 feet deep is that nobody is going to find it unless they know where to dig. One difference between a treasure buried 100 feet deep and one buried 10 feet deep is that the latter is a whole hell of a lot easier - and perhaps more importantly, a lot quicker.

And the inverse: If you are saying they did bury treasure down that far, provide the facts that prove that or even show that something like that has been done before.

A fair point, but I'm a biased party.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did they say it was only 10 feet down...
Yes they did. Everyone has just been digging a deeper hole hoping there is more... The legend of the money pit. ie what everyone has been looking for is treasure buried at 100+ft... There is no evidence that anything was ever buried below about 10 foot...

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets assume for a minute that the original 3 did find what the descendants claim they found. I highly doubt there would be anything left to show for it at this point. Gold coins or anything of value would have long been spent,. They do have that Gold Cross they claim is from the pit and yes a family member could have easily had a jeweler add that loop to be able to wear it somewhere along the line... So other then that there isn't any proof of anything ever being there.. Same can be said about Samual Ball. If he did find gold coins as some believe they would be long gone by now so no way to prove anything..

The reason the boys atleast keep digging is they claimed the ground looked to have been filled back in ( softer digging within the pit area ) plus they claim to have been finding those logs across the pit every 10' or so deep.. If true then heck yeah I'd have kept digging too, we all would have...

Last edited:

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason the boys atleast keep digging is they claimed the ground looked to have been filled back in ( softer digging within the pit area ) plus they claim to have been finding those logs across the pit every 10' or so deep.. If true then heck yeah I'd have kept digging too, we all would have...
True... But that is just hope.. No one has found any actual evidence to support treasure being buried lower then 10ft or so.

It is absolutely amazing that so much money, effort and lives that have been spent looking for treasure that zero evidence has been found of its existence...

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
And many, many more myths, incorrect facts, and downright fabrications. (And cat pictures, but that's not relevant to this conversation.)

However, to quote two or more different sources would be good enough for a debate.

You're assuming that the skeptics here have not done any research. Counter theory: some (most?) of the skeptics here are skeptics precisely because of their research. They began pulling at the loose threads on the story (take your pick on which version of the story) and turned up problems in the process. They made deep dives on accepted facts and found that they weren't facts at all. They found inconsistencies in dates, names, and locations. They went looking for the forensic evidence involved in the "classic" version of the story and discovered that while these cipher stones and timbers and such were proof that something was there, nobody actually knows where any of those things are, nobody alive has seen them, and no photographs exist of them. When you turn up enough of those facts that are not actually facts, I think that one can be forgiven for beginning to doubt the whole thing.

So why aren't you using those to debate the believers?

Where is the hard data that a treasure is buried that far down? Or that a treasure is there at all?

In the absence of firm data, I rely on logic. Does burying something of worth that deep make sense? As I've said here in the past, one commonality between a treasure buried 100 feet deep and one buried 10 feet deep is that nobody is going to find it unless they know where to dig. One difference between a treasure buried 100 feet deep and one buried 10 feet deep is that the latter is a whole hell of a lot easier - and perhaps more importantly, a lot quicker.

No need to debate me. As I keep saying, I am on neither side here. Just trying to guide these discussions in real debates and not a speculationfess.

A fair point, but I'm a biased party.

I am unbiased. I want to see the best argument from both sides BEFORE I make a decision.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True... But that is just hope.. No one has found any actual evidence to support treasure being buried lower then 10ft or so.

It is absolutely amazing that so much money, effort and lives that have been spent looking for treasure that zero evidence has been found of its existence...

but if your willing to admit that the boys probably did find some sort of treasure at 10' then that is half the battle of admitting there was treasure on the island. Doesn't matter that no more has been found..

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO The Railroad Spike Found at the Swamp was a Treasure, IF really Dug there.

Just Misidentified as a Ships Nail.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
IMO The Railroad Spike Found at the Swamp was a Treasure, IF really Dug there.

Just Misidentified as a Ships Nail.

I agree. As soon as I saw that I was like, "what the heck they trying to do?" I put that error on Gary's shoulders.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. As soon as I saw that I was like, "what the heck they trying to do?" I put that error on Gary's shoulders.

Yea I think it that He wanted to Find something Special So bad,
He thought he could pull it off, and so did the editors

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but if your willing to admit that the boys probably did find some sort of treasure at 10' then that is half the battle of admitting there was treasure on the island. Doesn't matter that no more has been found..
Yep... The original guys claimed treasure find does explain the origins of the legend... The rumor of treasure has been what has driven all the others... It is an incredible story that does fascinate me... I no longer believe that the show is about looking for treasure. The last two series have well established there is no treasure still buried in the "alleged" pit.

I think that 30 hours of episodes in this season is likely to be pretty boring stuff...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread