Money Pit

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Student of science is good but you will need the other later in life.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not worried.

I've studied Christ's meaning. Not the meaning of "Christ" when you convert the letters to numbers and come up with some cipher.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have a great day!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't they dig a 250 ft wide by 125 ft deep hole at the money pit back in the 60 or 70s?...there is nothing there...it was found years ago and kept quite.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe they both are right. The Knight's Templar Treasures were removed before the American Revolution.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing was ever removed from an imaginary pit with imaginary water traps. The island has been dug to hundreds of feet many, many times....no money pit, no flood tunnels....nothing ever found but common items consistent with human presence.

The oak island money pit is a long going hoax to attract investors and now scripted tv shows.

All the rhetoric about secret codes, bacon, shakespeare, etc. is just fiction written by those attempting to be relevant.....

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You do wonder IF the pit was man made, and IF they set traps to protect whatever was in it, and IF the water trap worked, then . . .

What WAS the plan to bypass the trap when they came back for the treasure?

"Hey, it worked. We kept the bozos out."

"Now all we have to do to recover the loot is . . . oh poop."

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coffer dam at Smiths cove is real...it was used to dry dock ships for repair...the so called flood tunnels may have had something to do with the dry docking process at Smiths cove.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing was ever removed from an imaginary pit with imaginary water traps. The island has been dug to hundreds of feet many, many times....no money pit, no flood tunnels....nothing ever found but common items consistent with human presence.

The oak island money pit is a long going hoax to attract investors and now scripted tv shows.

All the rhetoric about secret codes, bacon, shakespeare, etc. is just fiction written by those attempting to be relevant.....

You and many others on here are just flat crazy if you think anyone pre-2000 was making any money off "digging" for treasure on Oak Island. Only decent money ever made has been thru tours of the island and doubt anyone is making it rich doing that... Do you truely think the Restalls made any money??? They used every penny they got from investors to further their digs right up till the father and son died while digging for said treasure.. Yeah, they were living it up alright from all that investor money, all the while living on the island with no electricity or road to get back to the mainland...

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
You and many others on here are just flat crazy if you think anyone pre-2000 was making any money off "digging" for treasure on Oak Island. Only decent money ever made has been thru tours of the island and doubt anyone is making it rich doing that... Do you truely think the Restalls made any money??? They used every penny they got from investors to further their digs right up till the father and son died while digging for said treasure.. Yeah, they were living it up alright from all that investor money, all the while living on the island with no electricity or road to get back to the mainland...

I don't think that you're entirely in disagreement with Singlestack. As I've said before, I believe that at least some of the people that have run recovery operations on Oak Island truly believed that there's something there. Getting it takes money. And when I truly believe that there's a great treasure just ten feet deeper and I'm out of money, would I consider it a great crime to fib a little bit in order to get enough money to keep digging? I mean, I know that the treasure is down there, and when I find it, the investor will be paid. It's a white lie that will be forgotten when we all go home happy.

And if I had a TV show based on my recovery efforts that was paying me money, things might get a bit more complicated. I mean, I'm fibbing, but I'm fibbing to generate a product, and people are happy to consume that product. They'd likely be pissed off if I suddenly said, "No, nothing is here." That would remove the product that they're happily consuming, and I'd also lose that income stream. When you consider that Canada is throwing money at it due to the tourism that it's generating, it gets far more complicated.

It seems that most of the hype has historically been coming from people (and governments) with a financial interest in there being hype. I'm not saying that this is right or wrong, but I am saying that it's one variable to consider.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems that most of the hype has historically been coming from people (and governments) with a financial interest in there being hype. I'm not saying that this is right or wrong, but I am saying that it's one variable to consider.
Sort of makes the Loch Ness Monster jump to mind....

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure there have been a plenty a white lie told about almost being there, to get more investor money. We'd all do that given the opportunity. I'm just saying that no one was actually making money to keep for themselves from digging for the treasure pretty much up till now or the 10-12 years the brothers have had control of most of the island... Up till the show started they were just spending money with nothing coming in from it.. and we can't say for sure they are actually making much money off the deal that they are not reinvesting back into the search. I'm sure their sons and nephews and the such are making a living off the show and the drilling companies and divers are probably giving them a good discount for their services to get the free publicity for their company/services..

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
I'm sure there have been a plenty a white lie told about almost being there, to get more investor money. We'd all do that given the opportunity. I'm just saying that no one was actually making money to keep for themselves from digging for the treasure pretty much up till now or the 10-12 years the brothers have had control of most of the island...

Except that they were probably paying their workers (and most likely themselves) wages. Those workers were likely getting housed and fed (such as it were) as well. I don't know that anyone was getting rich, but I suspect that everyone was making money...except the investors, but an investment is by nature a gamble.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep going back to the Restall Family. If they were making any kind of profit or decent wages they would not have lived on the island year round mind you with no electricity or causeway back to the main land. Everything including groceries remember had to be boated out to them. In the winter time the water froze and they had to walk across there to get groceries... Sure the few people they hired to help out got paid but I doubt it was any more and probably much less then the average local part time job paid...

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep going back to the Restall Family. If they were making any kind of profit or decent wages they would not have lived on the island year round mind you with no electricity or causeway back to the main land. Everything including groceries remember had to be boated out to them. In the winter time the water froze and they had to walk across there to get groceries... Sure the few people they hired to help out got paid but I doubt it was any more and probably much less then the average local part time job paid...
Yep... They did it tough. What people will go through on the rumor of treasure is amazing.. I admire people who follow their dreams but cannot really understand why people believed so strongly there was treasure there when no evidence of treasure being there has ever been found ( Other then the possible find by the original 3 guys as told by there descendants).

You would of thought that people like the Renstall family, Dan and Fred would have in all there searching seen that there was zero evidence of treasure...

I am glad that the Laginas have the money to waste to investigate Smiths Cove and any voids properly. Even if pirate treasure was buried there it would have to be massive to cover the costs involved in this search effort.

To think of the millions being spent on this... Oh well it is entertainment and there is much more money wasted on worse TV shows....

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I wouldn't call it a hoax, but rather a mass delusion. It started with some guys pretending to be treasure hunters, and 223 years later it's still some guys pretending to be treasure hunters. And everything else has been somewhere between make-believe and fraud.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep... They did it tough. What people will go through on the rumor of treasure is amazing.. I admire people who follow their dreams but cannot really understand why people believed so strongly there was treasure there when no evidence of treasure being there has ever been found ( Other then the possible find by the original 3 guys as told by there descendants).

You would of thought that people like the Renstall family, Dan and Fred would have in all there searching seen that there was zero evidence of treasure...

I am glad that the Laginas have the money to waste to investigate Smiths Cove and any voids properly. Even if pirate treasure was buried there it would have to be massive to cover the costs involved in this search effort.

To think of the millions being spent on this... Oh well it is entertainment and there is much more money wasted on worse TV shows....

But the main scheme is the Lagina's removing treasure from the swamp while using the TV show as a diversion.

Rest assured there was a vast rich treasure at one time in the history of the world on Oak Island. Most likely 1398.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
But the main scheme is the Lagina's removing treasure from the swamp while using the TV show as a diversion.

Or just having a TV show. For the man that has everything, all that is left is a TV show.

Rest assured there was a vast rich treasure at one time in the history of the world on Oak Island. Most likely 1398.

I'm not resting assured until there's some evidence that there was a vast rich treasure at one time in the history of the world on Oak Island. (Protip: proving a vast rich treasure at one time in the history of the world on Oak Island involves proving a vast rich treasure at one time in the history of the world on Oak Island. Not speculation, not Bible interpretations, but actually digging up something of worth. If a treasure has not been recovered, then it has not been proved.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread