What's new

More finds from flake field, & visit to Rock Pile Mtn.

mamabear

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2008
Messages
3,075
Reaction score
869
Golden Thread
0
Location
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
After visiting the peak of Rock Pile Mtn., we drove to my favorite field to do some hunting. I have never found a complete point here, but I know I will if I keep at it.
Rock Pile Mtn has an interesting history, though I have not found anything giving information about who built the original stone shelter/mound.
 

Attachments

  • 006.webp
    006.webp
    87.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 014.webp
    014.webp
    79 KB · Views: 128
  • 019.webp
    019.webp
    53 KB · Views: 114
Upvote 0
Cool rock shelter, what is the story? and yes, keep looking. I spent the morning out on a hilltop, not hunting just enjoying the view and relaxing. found a broke on the way down. New spot! ;) but in this one hunting lease, if I'm finding a lot of flakes, I have not found not even a broke. In the spots where I find a few brokes and whole points, there are fewer flakes.:dontknow:

enjoy the warm days!
naturegirl
 
...Wow, that looks like an interesting place! Let us know if you hear anything more about it's history....and you will find a point, keep positive right?
 
Good Luck! I sincerely hope you find several complete points soon, but you've got to get out there. Unlike us up north here with all the snow still on the ground
 
Do you dig the shelters or hunt open fields nearby? Sure is a mysterious and pretty spot.
 
Keep at it somebody probably beat you to the good stuff
 
The shelter was a rock circle but was destroyed in the late 1890s. Don't know why. The ground was littered with inches of leaves yesterday, making it impossible to look for points . In the summertime, it is a haven for rattlers, & I won't risk it, even though it would be easier to see the ground. It is a state forest anyway, so it's probably illegal to take anything. The pieces I found were about 25 miles from the mtn, near a river, outside of state forest.. I try to go there after a big rain, or freeze.
 
That is a cool place, I bet it would make a great sweat lodge.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom