More Lumberjack Town Iron Digs - Questions - Do You Know?

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay, if seeing dug junk online is your thing, you've come to the right post! ;D

I got a little (very little) time to detect so here it is...lovely, right?

What do you think the do-hicky is with the iron bar with tines? I plan to clean it up, straighten the bent tine, and make it into a coat rack for the garage.

Now, what is the thing with the large rings?

How old would you say the FORD keys are? What year?

Like the old whistle? What would lumberjacks do with that? How old?

You're all so awesome!

Badger

Upvote 0

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Badger,

Don't just love finding old relics? I love trying to figure out what some are & what they were used for.

The thing with the large rings on the end is a horse/mule bit.

HH ;)
RR

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
No idea what your other whatsit is but I admire your ingenuity in ressurecting old relics into new useful things.The brass riegn guide /dixie cup holder sounded like a winner.I found a similar mouth bit at a Northern MI lumber RR site.It seemed too large for a horse.I was told it was more likely from an oxen.They were a powerful, low maintainence alternative for pulling log sleds and big wheels and they taste better than horse ;)...H.H....Joe

Z

ZumbroKid

The modified horse bit is actually for the lumberjacks wife. You would not work a good horse to death would you?

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SNAFFLE BIT for horse reigns

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the old snaffle bit and keys, The bit may have come from a old Logging buck! (Logging horse with big hoofs and a strong back!)

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
gypsyheart said:
Nice relics! Looks like you are getting some good areas to hunt! Are you in old logging camps or woods?

Right now I'm still in a small logging town near the old original camp. Many of the old lumberjacks from 1870 to about the 1930's lived in this town. In fact they founded it for the lumber industry. They also came here to drink and party. If I'm ever going to find a gold piece this will probably be the place. The town is still occupied but is much smaller today due to little area employment.

I'm hunting the old lots in between buildings and along old sidewalks. Most of the pre-1930's sidewalks have about 1 to 3 inches of dirt over them now as they're gradually sinking. Most of the stores were torn down many years ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread