3 Different Detectors Make 30 plus good finds today

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
Well, today started out interesting enough. Met two friends for breakfast before we made our plans of where to search today. We had originally planned to detect an old camp for the day, but I remembered I had a visit scheduled with the dentist at 11. That kinda put a damper on things. The two fellows I hunt with have been detecting for about 25 years each. They both have over 50,000 coins and 500 silver a piece. Let's just say I am way behind as I just started hunting in June 2004. Don't even have two full years under my belt, but I have still managed many good finds.

Anyway, they decided to hit a local fairgrounds while I was at the dentist. We would venture to the old camp after my appointment was over. After the dentist, I swung over to see if they had made any interesting finds. Rick hadn't found anything great, just clad, but he made up for it later. Jim, on the other hand, found a 1910 Wheat Penny, a 1902 Indianhead, and a 1909 Liberty Nickel. That was pretty inspiring.

Anyway, we headed out at 1:15 and did not arrive at the old camp until 2. We searched until about 6. Up until 3, nobody had found anything that great. However, between 3:15 and 4, Rick managed to get 5 SILVER COINS. He got a Washington Quarter, 2 Mercury Dimes, and 2 Roosevelt Dimes. HE ended up finding about 5 or 6 Wheat pennies too. Jim managed the same amount of wheats and a 1944 Silver War Nickel.

I ended up with 30 coins. 23 were clad including 6 canadian coins. But I found 5 wheat pennies. A 1940, 46, 49D, 53D, and 57D. I also found a 1940 Mercury Dime. We thought all the fun had ended, but decided to give it another 30 minutes as we made our way to the car. Jim got to the top of the hill and headed tothe right, Rick went to the left. I was still at the bottom, but when I got to the top I headed to the right since both of them were now at my left. In fact, I just assumed they had both went to the left. Anyway, I get this beep that was going off between a 50 cent piece and 1.00 coin. I used the treasure imaging on my GTI 1500 and it said the coin was 1 inch down. I dug a small hole about 2 inches down, but found nothing. I got up and ran my detector over it again and it was just a blazin with that sweet belltone. I knelt back down and began to dig a little on the side of the whole when I saw the glimmer of SILVER. Yup...it was a 1935D Walking Liberty Half Dollar. I could not believe my eyes. This is my 4th half dollar and every one has been silver. To say the least, I was mighty pleased today. Those are my 5th and 6th Silver of the year. My friend Jon, who started detecting when I did, already has 15 Silver coins this year, including 4 Barbers. Rick has 11 and Jim has 10. I might have the least, but that Walker today sure makes things more interesting. I'll try to post a picture if I can figure it out.

Deerhunter24

Attachments

• 050206.jpg
    050206.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 389
Upvote 0

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Awesome Walker and Merc! ;D ;D Bet you got the silver fever now. Those camps are great. I just hunted one this last weekend. Got some cool stuff. One guy with us found an old gold pocketwatch.

HH

Mirage

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Excellent digs Deerhunter.Old halfs dont come around every day...Congrats...Joe

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like some great friends to hang around with Hunter! ;)

Awesome finds! Congrats!

Nana ;)

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
looks like a great day! Wish I could find silver that big!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread