What's new

More rings from the water this morning including a WHOPPER!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2008
Messages
4,715
Reaction score
6,220
Golden Thread
6
Location
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
6
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
The tide was very favorable this morning and was running about 0.5 ft below normal which is unusual. My friend Reid and I couldn't pass up on that opportunity and were in the water by 6:00, just before the sun came up. I spent most of my time hunting areas that are normally too deep to access, but as I've discovered before, the finds in the outer reaches are usually few and far between. But I was able to recover a silver ring and a few coins while hunting in armpit deep water, and believe me they weren't easy recoveries. A bit later while hunting in another area that was totally devoid of signals, I was awakened by a strong overload signal. But my experience with my CZ-21 has taught me to dig all big hits as a couple times earlier this summer I've found a big ring or chain in my scoop when I thought it might just be a soda can. And it happened again - a huge and very heavy ring found its way into my scoop, and I was hoping it would be my largest gold ring ever. The inside was full of inscriptions including the husband and wife's first names, their wedding date, and unfortunately the manufacturer's name - Jim Tungsten. So much for gold (although it is 14kt plated), but it was still a great find in my book. The honker ring weighs in at 17.68 grams, which is more than 4 times the weight of a typical men's wedding band as shown below. It's also 25mm in diameter and 9mm wide. I found an almost identical one online that retails for $349 so that's not too shabby. Also found a 2nd silver ring with a row of stones along with a sterling earring. Other finds included 2 one dollar coins dug right next to each other- a Sacagawea, and an Andrew Jackson from the presidential series. The working Timex sports watch was a nice recovery too, and I plan to use that whenever hitting the water. Hope to get out to some different sites later this week.
 

Attachments

  • 080515a.webp
    080515a.webp
    109.1 KB · Views: 228
  • 080515b.webp
    080515b.webp
    121.1 KB · Views: 218
  • 080515c.webp
    080515c.webp
    46.1 KB · Views: 218
  • 080515d.webp
    080515d.webp
    137.3 KB · Views: 213
  • 080515e.webp
    080515e.webp
    45.9 KB · Views: 211
  • 080515f.webp
    080515f.webp
    42.9 KB · Views: 216
  • 080515g.webp
    080515g.webp
    8 KB · Views: 714
Last edited:
Upvote 48
Nice big ear blaster. Sometimes I don't really care much if it's gold or not, I just love the sound of a big one.
 
Thats is an awesome "nugget"!!! :thumbsup:
 
I dream of a water hunt like that. Congrats on having a stellar day. :occasion14:
 
WOW... awesome water hunt Bill! You make it look easy, but I can only imagine how exhausting hunting all day in chest deep water must be. You are having a great year of beach hunting.
 
Like the Ladies Silver ring, .....:thumbsup:..................Shame the Big ring is Tungsten for some reason they just don't hold the value they retail for.. But a nice find.. And your correct on watching those big signals. My buddy tom last year dug a 103 gram 14k gold ring.. A signal I would have passed and more then likely did...Ouch!
 
Very nice hunt.
Those rings always look good in the scoop,, especially if they are plated or of yellow color. I have found a few tungsten rings in the past
 
Its more like bathwater out there with water temps in the low-to-mid 80s, and the jellyfish are everywhere. Having to cover my legs now, and was lucky I didn't get stung on my arms today.

Being up here in the north land I forget what the water temps are like down south, it's just always cold in the water up here. Lets hope you don't develop an allergic reaction to jellyfish stings. I got stung one time by a Florida man o'war, painful!
Take care out there in the I ocean jungle!
 
Wow congrats! What a haul!!:thumbsup:
 
DANG IT BILL IN THE WATER WITH THE FISH , NICE RING YOU BROUGHT UP AND SPECIAL ONE IT IS. BIG A BOLD DEFINES YOUR RING . WHAT IT MAY BE WORTH REMAINS TO BE SEEN, COOL FINDS FROM THE DEEP.
 
Wow Bill that is a monster! You could've gone on a nice vaca of that sucker was gold. Glad you're having some good success in the water
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom