Morgans and Peace among Ike’s?

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I have found 4 Morgans so far amongst Ikes in the past few years. Two from one bag of $1,000. Not from the 70s but from the late 2010's. :-) NO Peace Dollars though.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
As a teen in the 1970’s, all I could afford were dimes, sometimes quarters.
The last “big dollars” that I passed on was a quantity of 165 about the year 2014.
Went back later and they were gone.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I missed bags of silver dollars. Like all Peace and Morgans twice in my 5 yrs of crh. One bag I actually saw and the tellers scammed me saying "we are holding them for a week until the police determine they aren't stolen." They actually were stolen. At the end of the week I called to ask when I could pick them up that day and they told me they gave them to someone else. Naturally one of the tellers took them home. Looking into it further through a police contact I found out there had been a robbery and the thief had been dumping and selling the coins. He was caught after someone he sold coins to in the Walmart parking lot notified the police and it broke the case for them. I actually helped the police look for the rest of the coins in a culvert under the highway where the thief claimed he threw them shortly before being arrested. We did find the empty cookie tin the coins had been stolen in but it was empty. I kept the tin as a momento and told the police the bank and teller where the rest could be found. I don't know what became of that case but I didn't get the coins.
Another I missed by a day at a regular pickup bank but they still had the half dollars, dimes and I watched several rolls of silver quarters walk out the door in front of me before I could act. I got 32 rolls of solid silver halves- my best score ever by a long shot. The dimes were only one roll of silver scattered through $200 worth. The tellers said that the second he put the bag of dollars on the counter the guy behind him told the tellers "not to bother putting them away, he would buy them all." I'm sure he could see and hear the silver and jumped. He may not have been a regular crh-er or he would have bought the collection. Apparently the dumper had to go back out to the car and make several trips. The guy that got the silver dollars left quickly before he even saw the halves. I'm sure he was thinking he'd better go before the dumper changed his mind. The source was a crh-er who had passed and his family didn't know enough to save the coins. He must have died suddenly because he was mid way through a MWR box which I also bought with the collection since you can't exactly say " I'll just take the silver ones" lol. Since then that bank dried up as the tellers became savvy immediately after that and I get nothing there but the occasional overlooked silver in a roll.
I have found and posted a number of Peace and Morgans. My best score was $140 worth of " big dollars". I was about to walk away from them because its a frequent dump bank for others but I told the teller "I'll take $20." Luckily as he was counting out 20 i saw a Peace dollar in the bag and immediately took them all. I got nine Peace Dollars. They still come up from time to time but with the power of the internet in everyones pocket the tellers are more interested. Last week I got some silver halves but the teller who was passing them down the line said " but I'm not giving these up" . I could tell they were silver dollars by the sound but I pretended not to notice because we have an informal " tellers get the best, I get the rest" arrangement and they did give me a few 90% halves that day.
I have bought two partial collections and people still do stupid stuff especially when grieving. What got me into crhing was missing a collection dump but the teller saved me a single silver dollar. That day made me a believer. Things are tougher than ever but I still find enough stuff to put a smile on my face periodically.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver dollars

Just so you know I'm not pulling your leg. A kind teller saved these for me " because she knew I liked wierd stuff." I bought her lunch. I'll try to remember how to upload pics of the 9 Peace Dollars.

Attachments

• IMG_20160901_170658861 (1).jpg
    IMG_20160901_170658861 (1).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 118

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Tommy, same happened to me a few years back ( Oct 31, 2015) when the tellers knew that I was always looking for silver dimes all the time., and one of the tellers asked me, "oh Mr Dozer, do you also save & want these". Out of her drawer she pulls out these 5 Morgan/Peace dollars. I asked her how much do you want for them, she says only $5 to keep her drawer in balance. Enjoy the pic, I paid the $5, and smiled going out the door. And oh, they didn't have any dimes for me.[emoji23][emoji1][emoji30] but the BIG SILVERS made up for a lot of dimes.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1604961074.125352.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1604961092.389206.jpg

It happens when you least expect it. Just keep at it, it will happen.
HH, DozerD

Dannycoco

Jun 2, 2016
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my first few silver dollars this year. I got one and then the next week from a different bank found three more. Like Dozer said. It happens when you least expect it. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1605013791.603995.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1605013822.002197.jpg

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a peace dollar. It was a teller tray find. Over the years I’ve bought hundreds of dollars worth of big dollars and never found a peace or Morgan.

Buchsy

Oct 14, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I got 8 Morgan / Peace out of 27 "Big Dollars" from a local bank 3 years ago - they were wrapped in a rubber band. Just today I got a Morgan along with 7 Ikes for the first time since then.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just so you know I'm not pulling your leg. A kind teller saved these for me " because she knew I liked wierd stuff." I bought her lunch. I'll try to remember how to upload pics of the 9 Peace Dollars.

Last night I actually dreamed about recovering a Peace Dollar - and I usually don't remember my dreams, too...! Great Finds!

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
I stopped in to a branch in Nashville when I lived there....about 10 years ago. A teller had a Morgan in her tray, I asked her if I could buy it from her, and she said no.

I elected not to argue. I did ask her for the date, and she said 1878.

Damn. Oh well. ;-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread