Morning walk with Pville

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went down to my neighborhood creek where i have been working I decided to bring a camera. I will break this up into a few sections to go with the pictures. This area is a seasonal creek at about 1700 feet no Tertiary influence. The gold I am getting is mostly fine and rough when bigger. the rounded flakes are coming from the deeper cracks and I believed were deposited eons ago. the fine stuff and rough stuff is in the over burden and more recently filled traps. the creek follows the drection of The motherlode and then turns and crosses it as it crosses it it is enriched by stringer veins. there was signifigant work done 1/8 mile upstream however I find more gold at this spot vs. at the actual Digs wich is not always the case. after the creek turns its flow is such that the Bedrock wich is mostly Black Slate is perpindicular to the flow wich is awesome. it is brocken and flaking apart definate crowbar country. there are numerous epithermal deposits in the area and pocket mines dot the hillides and I have found a few deeper portals. In the pictures you'll see the gold bearing material red with iron and stuck right on the bedrock. right now I am digging cracks when there is enough water to sluice I will start clearing off more bedrock. The material is mainly 1 to 2 feet thick there is gold in it from the grass to the bedrock so i like to run it all. If you look in the pics you can see how much Quartz there is. as the Gold bearing Quarts moves downstream it breaks down and that is where the fine gold is coming from.I came home with like 10lbs of cons I dug from a spot where some bedrock is jutting up into the creek I'll show my take when i finish my clean up.

Attachments

• creek 012.JPG
    creek 012.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 151
  • creek 014.JPG
    creek 014.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 133
  • creek 015.JPG
    creek 015.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 129
  • creek 019.JPG
    creek 019.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 124
  • creek 020.JPG
    creek 020.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 139
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More cracks and bedrock.Dark slate with OverBurden on top. And Decomposing bedrock the flow is perpendicular to the cracks. So many drool worthy traps.

Attachments

• creek 025.JPG
    creek 025.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 111
  • creek 031.JPG
    creek 031.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 109
  • creek 030.JPG
    creek 030.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 123
  • creek 029.JPG
    creek 029.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 125
  • creek 024.JPG
    creek 024.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 119
OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything upstream comes through a choke point that isn't too narrow, and the bedrock is awesomely shallow and rough so very nice material is catching in this spot. and as you can see it has been here long enought to grow grass wildfowers an poison oak.The ceek is seasonal and shallow and in a rugged fairly cut off canyon so I am hoping fairly undredged in moderntimes, i have found very little modern trash and lots of square nails and older relics. I do know of several gram plus nuggets detected here and 28 gram lunker that i have held myself. here is Me and the terrain of the spot in general.

Attachments

• creek 025.JPG
    creek 025.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 108
  • creek 028.JPG
    creek 028.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 135
  • creek 022.JPG
    creek 022.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 106
  • creek 021.JPG
    creek 021.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 125
OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heres where the creek crosses a vein system. On one side are several old shafts with surface digging all the way up the hillside and on top of the ridge following the strike of the vein. You can see the stingers in the creek and there is an adit on the otherside of the creek following the drop of the vein. So in the pic where you see the bucket by the creek I am uphill looking down the direction of the strike and dip the willow is growing out of a shaft thats the one with the wood in it. The dark spot in the trees is the adit 180 degree view from the stacked rock and other prospects. its neat to see how they followed it. And encouraging to know they were finding what they were looking for. there is also a pic of the waste rock in the area. And the contacts between the quartz and country rock.

Attachments

• creek 033.JPG
    creek 033.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 107
  • creek 032.JPG
    creek 032.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 123
  • creek 034.JPG
    creek 034.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 96
  • creek 035.JPG
    creek 035.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 100
  • creek 016.JPG
    creek 016.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
That looks like a fun area to spend some time in! Thanks for showing us. I would be toting home some of that rock and busting it open too, especially the red quartz.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PvilleHunter,
Good to hear from you again! Looks like quite an adventure you've found for yourself. Has metal detecting been of any help on the site? May all your efforts and work pay off for you or at least enough to pay off the house........63bkpkr

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have detected down there and it is so mineralized. I have a Goldmaster 4 and with no auto ground balance and the prescence of a lot of fine detectable gold it gets pretty hard to keep my sanity. Gravelwasher went down with me once he has a GP3000 and he found a few non ferrous targets in the gut of the stream. the hillsides are much easier for my goldmaster But, i am thiking it is about time to go pulse induction cause my goldmaster is so sensitive to mineralization and small gold that it is just a chatterbox. Astobouncer there is soooooooooooooo much quartz I would need a truck and a 20 stamp mill to keep up. There are so many traps in this creek that i will have a lifetime of sniping and sluicing. I'm glad you guys like the pics i just wanted to share one of my spots.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That looks wonderful, I would be sniping that during higher water. :D

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer to underwater snipe at the river. the deepest this spot gets is during floods. and most of the material that is real good is above water or very shallow and hard to snipe underwater cause its shallow.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm amazed that the bedrock "leaves" (bookends) don't show more sign of digging - that is - chunks torn out. Its almost like virgin ground which can't be
true, considering all the digging evidence on nearby hillsides.

trinityau

Jan 20, 2010
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, GP 3000 modified
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello Pvillehunter, Your area is very similar to much of what I detect up here in Redding. I think you would be better off getting a newer VLF to detect that creekbed with. You will find that a PI may work on some areas but when you get into trash you are done. You need a unit that has a very good discrimination. I have used all the goldmaster's and many of the other VLF's that have come and gone and none of them have a discrimination that stands up to the GB Pro. In the situation you have I would really give one a swing. If I was closer I would do a day trip and show you how well the GB Pro performs in a creekbed. The blacksand ID I think is far better than anything the other VLF's have or had. The money you are going to lay out for a PI vs a GB Pro is going to be big. I use my Pro in the water all the time and then go back and dry pan or snipe. Just my opinions, TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ray....I was waiting on....expecting and predicting your opinion......the day gravelwasher and i went out I had him check a subtle signal i was getting and his Minelab wasn't picking it up...he is new to the machine and didnt change settings but, he moved on and i dug a .22 round, so i have been pre-considering your advice....as far as virgin ground goes as far as i am concerned it is pretty close considering current echnology and methods. this area hasn't been gone over as well as it needs to be.....and just my luck it is a left turn out of my driveway and a 5 minute drive....10 minute walk from my car.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
I would have a hard time staying home if I had a great piece of creek like that to work.. Good health and good hunting

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE spot you have there, I'd be pressed to go home also I would probably end up staying longer than I should. HH hope you find the gold my friend...

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its hard to go anywhere else it is only ten minutes from my house.

caprock

Aug 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent photos and descriptions, Pville
That's some nice looking ground. Only one comment, there are no "epithermal deposits" in the foothills of the Sierra, The Mother Lode is classified as mesothermal. Epithermal deposits are common in Nevada like Virginia City, Tonopah, Goldfield etc. They formed in shallow volcanic environments, some even in hot springs near surface. Mother Lode deposits formed at much greater depths and higher temps and presures. Considering how much rock has been eroded from the Sierra, and the great depths currently exposed, the ML deposits formed much to deep to be considered epithermal. Bodie is another good example of a epithermal deposit. Quartz textures and alteration mineralogy is also quite different in epithermal deposits. Keep up the good prospecting, your on the right track

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct confusing my Greek.

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
RICH BY GOD !! Pville's gona be freak'n rich !! .................................................. ...
at least maybe anyhow . Even well to do ain't bad . :laughing7:

Have at it and good luck man . 8-)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread