moss in sluice placement

tntrker

Greenie
Feb 14, 2011
Upstate SC
I have yet to put my sluice in the water due to I have just been pan sampling some areas. I have a small sheet approx 10 in of miners moss that I've added. I have put it under the riffles at the bottom of the sluice and was woundering if this would be better productive there or at the top? I figure it would catch the finer towards the bottom instead of being hit with alot of the material at the start. Good thinking or not?

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi tntrker,
I would run the miners moss the whole length of the sluice. At the end of the sluice you will still have the larger material hitting the moss with nothing to catch it at the end. If you look at the sluices made commercially they have carpet or moss running the whole length of the sluice under the ripples. Everyone has their preferances and this is mine. Good luck and lots of AU in your pan.

B H Prospector

OP
OP
tntrker

tntrker

Greenie
Feb 14, 2011
Upstate SC
Thanks BH. I should have mentioned I have the green mat in place through out but added the smaller patch of moss to aid in any catching. It's a standard Keene A52.

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the same sluice. I would put it at the top. If you are classifying to at least 1/2" you wouldn't have to worry about gold getting bounced out by larger material. I usually classify down to 1/4". The sluice seems to run better and you can feed it a little faster. Good luck!

B H Prospector

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions