Most amazing find in 38 years detecting.....and it's GOLD!

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been detecting for more than 38 years and even though I've found a gold coin, kettle points, Fugio, CT, VT, NJ coppers and a whole lot more, this easily ranks as my most interesting find ever. It's not just a gold ring, but a very interesting one. You see, the building that is engraved on the top is the Cathedral of Turin. That's not even the interesting part. The ring opens up. Inside, underneath a small piece of glass is a piece of fabric. Could it be a piece of the Shroud of Turin? I keep thinking about it and I can't figure out what else it might be. The ring was found about 5 inches down, not far from and at the same depth as an Indian head penny. My guess is it's been there for at least 100 years, but the ring itself could be much older. The side detail also looks like it was hand engraved, not just a casting. Like I said, I've found some great stuff over the years, but nothing compares to this. Thoughts?

20180303_112029.jpg 20180303_112220.jpg

cathedral of turn.jpg 20180221_174827 edit.jpg

Cathedral of Turin

Attachments

• 20180223_092525.jpg
    20180223_092525.jpg
    513.8 KB · Views: 449
Upvote 138

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool ! Thanks for posting:thumbsup:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does look to be carved. I do find it really interesting and would like to find out if that is a part of the shroud....but seeing that only a few people could get their hands on the shroud that narrows down who's ring that could have been. I think this is a good mystery...

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stunning Find ! Can't wait to see what else may be learned about this find ! You got my vote .

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very beautiful ring, very classy ring, a heavy ring made with purpose. looks like it would belong to a very important person back then and was probably sorely missed. a ring of stature for sure. congrats on the find of a life time

OP
OP
doninbrewster

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, Does it have any marks?

It has no marks, but appears to have been resized at some point. Markings could have been cut out, but I just don't know.

Does look to be carved. I do find it really interesting and would like to find out if that is a part of the shroud....but seeing that only a few people could get their hands on the shroud that narrows down who's ring that could have been. I think this is a good mystery...

I showed photos to someone who shared them with a bishop. His response was he thought it was a Cardinal's ring. I'm trying to find a Catholic history organization that might shed some light. As it's obviously hand made and extremely well done it's certainly possible it is unique.

RudyT

Nov 23, 2017
LaPorte, Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is amazing!! It could possibly be the best detecting find ever!! Please keep us posted if you find out any more information on it. AMAZING!! Banner vote all day long!!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool looking ring! With no purity or hallmarks, I think the first thing I'd do is an acid test to see what karat it is.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on such a nice find! If it turns out to be a Cardinal's Ring, hopefully it is not a Cardinal Rule to return it to the Cardinal as you might have to dig him up.:icon_scratch::dontknow:

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That ring is amazing. Congratulations on a very unique find! :thumbsup:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a Very interesting and beautiful ring !:)

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Just wow!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful ring, congratulations! :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread