motorcycle whatsit

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
Not military. These were never used by the US Armed Forces of any branch.
Based on the serial number, this was a 1980 Honda CT70 which came with a 3 Speed Auto Clutch and 72cc Overhead Cam Engine.
It was only available in one color, Tahitian Red. It also had a white honda sticker, a yellow/orange/red stripe, and a red plastic front fender.

It looks like someone replaced the front fender with a chrome replacement, repainted the bike and put the serial number back on with a cheap stencil set. The bomb stencil was most likely custom made. The military does not stencil on symbols like that. If it were military surplus, there would also be no shiny parts. Everything would be painted. Especially that front fender and light.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
texan connection

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
It was once red. Yes It was either a early 80 or replaced fenders They would of also replaced the back one., How are you sure they were never used? Many motorcycles were and are used. several inbtresting thing have been done to this Some interesting Body repair, as well as a 80MPH speedo and a smaller engine, 50CC. The paint wasent done well enough to be a custom Redo, More like,, lets slap some paint on and get it going again.

Upvote 0

TarheelPanner

Mar 26, 2012
Mebane, NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The military wouldnt use mini bikes for one thing, second just because some "interesting things" have been done to the bike doesnt make it military surplus and lastly the paint job is a do it yourself rattle can special not a show winning custom job.

Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Agree after market do it yourself paint-job. Note all USAF vehicles will have a reg number as such 90B20, 90 being the year made, B being the vehicle type, 20 being the vehicle number here it's the 20th vehicle. That was the Reg Number of the 1990 Mercedes Multi-Stop panel truck/van we had in Germany.

Mike

Upvote 0
OP
OP
texan connection

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
The paint was a bit better than just spray painted originaly, It was disassembled and painted, not taped up. But appears to have some later body damage that was patched and painted over. I have seen some low CC Bike used by the military. But not this low.So Im guessing thats just your opinion, Im still searching, Tried a Vin search but they dont report previous owners.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
texan connection

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Agree after market do it yourself paint-job. Note all USAF vehicles will have a reg number as such 90B20, 90 being the year made, B being the vehicle type, 20 being the vehicle number here it's the 20th vehicle. That was the Reg Number of the 1990 Mercedes Multi-Stop panel truck/van we had in Germany.

Mike

Now were talkin.. The last 2 #'s of the stencieled serial are not part of the CT70's serial # and dont know why they are there.

Does any one recognize the Bomb insignia as from a real unit?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
texan connection

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
I would think If someone was intrested in a Restore it wouldn't have a trace of red left on it. (As it doesn't now, nor sand yellow) I had it Blasted and repainted. My point ,, going to the extreme of disassembling it and then just sanding it, and spray caning it, seems a bit sill to me.

Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Another point to ponder, military vehicles normally come painted OD from the factory. When something like a bike/ATV doesn't, it's usually just spray painted in OD or black to take the shine and all off of it. When one of our GOV's was involved in an accident, the damaged area was repaired, masked off and painted. We had this nice square area that was 4 or 5 shades darker than the rest of the truck. I've seen the military use motorcycles, ATC's and ATV's along with the assorted cars, trucks, vans etc, but I have never seen a mini-bike in use. Motorcycles, ATC's and ATV's were used by Special Tactics, Para-Rescue, Combat Control Teams, etc in the AF. I can assume the same holds true in the Army.

Mike

Upvote 0

digging wv

Sep 16, 2007
Cabin Creek
Detector(s) used
Prizm V
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have been in the USMC and crewing medium and heavy lift helicopters. Have never hauled anything like that! And we moved a lot of stuff for "various" Marine and Navy units.

Upvote 0

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
id_klr250_01_700.jpg

This is the M1030, (1984 KLR 250). Kawasaki made these for the US Army for about 10 years when they were replaced by a larger M1030 Kawasaki (650 I believe) that ran on either gas or diesel or jet fuel (JP-8). The early models were running around Ft. Campbell in the 80's when I was with the 101st. It was not unusal to see a pair attached to each skid of a huey flying around Ft. Campbell during those days. I never saw one in a Blackhawk, but I'm sure they hauled them.

Scout

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread