Mounds of ship's ballast rock.

newfyviking

Jun 24, 2007
Hi All
We are going to dive some piles of rock that where put there by man but not recorded, We are sure its 2 mounds of ballast rock but is really old. On shore we found a old bracelet laying beside what looks like boat ways on the shore. There was also a big anchor taken from the spot but it has been removed and is now gone.
There has been a lot of overlapping history, the ring is no to old but we are not sure what the other thing in the picture is, its soft and has wax looking stuff in side.
I have a question about ballast rocks, does any one have pictures of other mounds or know how big the rocks should be. I told a diver about it and he looked at them and figured the rocks were to big for ballast. The big rocks are Less then 1.5 feet in dia. My thoughts are they would use the boom to load them like cargo so they could be quite big.
CHEERS

Attachments

• oldbraclet.jpg
    oldbraclet.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 51
  • swan.jpg
    swan.jpg
    452 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All
We are going to dive some piles of rock that where put there by man but not recorded, We are sure its 2 mounds of ballast rock but is really old. On shore we found a old bracelet laying beside what looks like boat ways on the shore. There was also a big anchor taken from the spot but it has been removed and is now gone.
There has been a lot of overlapping history, the ring is no to old but we are not sure what the other thing in the picture is, its soft and has wax looking stuff in side.
I have a question about ballast rocks, does any one have pictures of other mounds or know how big the rocks should be. I told a diver about it and he looked at them and figured the rocks were to big for ballast. The big rocks are Less then 1.5 feet in dia. My thoughts are they would use the boom to load them like cargo so they could be quite big.
CHEERS
Post pics of the rocks. Bart might be able to help.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pile of rocks is a good start, much better than a pile of coral.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread